1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

[Guide] How to put a volvo s60 seat into a prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by seany001, Aug 9, 2017.

1. seany001

seany001 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just finished this job, too much speculations not enough wisdom on this job. Im not posting pictures because they will eventually be lost in the interwebs over the next 8 years, so I will try my best to explain via text. Enjoy

Heres how to do it:

1) Aquire a Volvo S60 Front drivers seat, and an extra Prius front seat with airbag (if you have side airbags) from junk yard.

2) If your Volvo Seat is electric, wire up the motors to the switches directly to bypass the computer and relays. The switches are dpdt which means they close the circuit one way to a motor to activate it, and then close it the opposite way (in terms of polarity) to reverse direction of the motors. I also added a kill switch to the whole unit, so I feel safer blah blah. The motors are easy to locate underneath the seat. There were four in mine. The motors/switches were powered using a 12v cigarette lighter outlet, and male attachement (sell these at walmart for cheap, best bet now that radioshack is gone) with a 5amp fuse, so this is extra safe people.

After the electronics for the power seats are all set,

3) Disassemble extra prius seat and extract the two rails.
    4) Grind the rails in half so you are left with merely the feet that bolt into the car, and a stripd of thin metal connecting them. You should have two peices total, with each peice having TWO feet for bolting. These feet are connected vertically by a thin sheet of metal, essentially the bottom half of the rail. This will help you line up the feet in the correct positions so you cant screw it up as easily.

5) Grind Off volvo seat feet and make room to weld (weldings not hard dont worry) prius feet + bottom rail to the bottom of teh volvo rails. GRIND OFF ALL BLACK PAINT WITH FLAP DISK. easy to do, not expensive.

6) Measure the distance between feet in your prius. Mine were around 15.5 - 16 in, but it varies. do the work, measure twice, weld once.

7) Clamp up the two prius feet strips (remeber that the bottom part of the rail is still attached to teh prius feet) and make sure everything is clean and measured.

8) go rent a welder from home deopt. cost 40 bucks for 4 hours here in ct. worked great, dont use a crappy welder for this.

9) weld the feet/strips to the volvo rails. practice practice practice beforehand. You need to get good deep welds at least near the feet areas.

10) clean, paint over welds with black paint.

11) transfer prius seatbelt over to volvo, along with position sensor, and wire harness. this is easy, plug and play fits right wehere the volvo seat belt was.

12) put seat into car. i suggest doing it from the trunk tbh. disscnonect 12v battery and WAIT 90 SEC BEFOR REMOVING YOUR PRIUS SEAT. then youll be fine.

13) connect the all the sensors into their proper place and just let the position sensor (remove from prius junk seat) lie on the ground. If it is not near metal, it is in reclined mode, which is what you want because I assume your a person around 6ft or more. You can just attach a switch to manually change the positoin in the computer, but eehhh. not for me. Im the only driver.

14) For the airbag I used a 5ohm resistor. Worked great, I pulled it off a random circuit board lying around. the resistance is finicky, as it only worked using aligator clips to connect it, as soldering it directly to the sensor wires wouldnt work. (take the yellow airbag female port from your junk seat, and clip it off to use for this purpose. This way you can disconnect itm and put your prius seat back in if needed)

and thats about it. hope this helps some people, and no im not correcting any grammar.

2. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have been thinking about that for a while...Mentioned it once to someone who complained of uncomfortable seating.

Volvo seats are so comfortable...Nice job. Would like to see pics if you get around to it.

You must be extremely handy that looks like a fair amount of work.

3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    No one will really care by then. As the sayin' goes, "This thread is useless without pics!".

edthefox5 likes this.
  4. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Second request for pics!

If I ever junk my V70, the seats might go into the Prius given the above post...

(Then again, I already had to fix the heated seat (wire-break), so maybe 350,000km seats shouldn't replace 220,000km seats, not even if they ARE Volvo...)

PS: I got some extra Volvo rearseats for my V70 and they are brilliant with kids (fold up and down without needing an extra booster that is too wide, takes-up-space-when-not-in-use-so-useless-on-holiday, has pins sticking out to loop the seatbelt through, etc.). Can't understand why other brands don't copy this 'en masse'. Don't think I can swap those over. (BTW, the back part of rear seats in the Volvo are literally 3 times the weight of the Prius ones... INSANE!!!)

[​IMG]

#4 R-P, Aug 9, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    seany001 and bisco like this.
  5. seany001

seany001 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    pics here

Attached Files:

fotomoto, bisco and MilkyWay like this.
  6. seany001

seany001 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    lumbar support too! its a dream. my back is already reverse aging

MilkyWay likes this.
  7. seany001

seany001 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    yea but I cared when I tried to find the old threads of people doing this, 8 years later, only to find teh pictures were useless, or gone.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    a picture is worth, well, you know. anyways, well done!(y)

9. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I really hate this too, goes for my own posts too (had one on Volvoforums about the infamous rear wiper that often stops working that had tons of likes but is now useless, haven't found the original pics yet or I would relink most pics).
    First Imageshack packed in (I used that one), saying they would keep hosting the pics that were already uploaded (but that lasted only a few months...), and recently Photobucket stopped linking unless people forked over 400$ a year...

seany001 likes this.
  10. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Agreed as I've been burned big time by photobucket's new hostage policy because I have a ton of how-to's on both motorcycle and car forums that are now bad. Anyway, PC is an exception but most of these forums are now company owned with relatively decent IT protocols for backing up their databases so I no longer have an issue with letting the forum servers host the pics.

seany001 likes this.
  11. Dancin

Dancin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Heya. Bought today two front seats. I dont see you speaking about weight sensor, and seats heating.
    Im planning to do the work tommorow

Btw. If you upload pictures to this forum directly?
    IMG_20171127_180036581~2.jpg