Guide: Replacing Stock Horn with Hella Supertone for Prime

Discussion in 'Prime Accessories and Modifications' started by Mavi, Dec 13, 2019.

1. Mavi

Mavi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    So I replaced the stock horns on the Prius prime with Hella supertones. I've also done dualtones before and they're close enough to me sound wise. Both are an improvement I just went with the supertones since I got a new set for $13.

Step 1: Pop hood, remove the 6 clips with a flat head screwdriver or plastic trim remove. Then pull off the plastic engine cover.

Step 2: disconnect the connectors from both left and right horns.

Step 3: use 12mm socket to remove the lower bolt from the horn harness. Do on both, stock horns will now come out.

Step 4. Make a ground strap. I used a spare copper electrical wire, but any copper wire include speaker wire will work . I crimped it using home depot electrical connectors for the rest.

Step 5: Use a screw driver or sand paper to sand under the intake box screw. This is where ground wire will bolt to .

Step 6 bolt in the two new horns using existing screws.

Step 7: Either of the two spade connection can be a ground of positive doesn't matter which. Plug the ground strap to one. And to the other horn as well.

Step 8: now plug in the original positive spade you pulled from the stock horns earlier to the other.

Step 9: test the horns. If all is well put the engine cover and clips back and close up.

Attached Files:

2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
  3. Mavi

Mavi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Salamander_King likes this.
  4. Goat herder

Goat herder Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    GREAT set of photos, and a clean upgrade of the
    Meep sounding horn.

A month ago It was early morning I was waiting for a railway train to cross a state Hwy. Several semi trucks were heading back to the rock quarry they were using their train horns to honk at the train. Taking advantage of the " It was not me defense of violation of city posted ordinance "