1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Guide to Maximizing Mileage in Toyota Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by omega II, Aug 18, 2006.

1. omega II

omega II New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    hello,

my very first tank of gas mpg results:

it took 300 miles before i loss the first bar on my gas gauge, with an average of 60mpg. the total mileage on the first tank was 650. since it is hot here in augusta, my ac ran all the time. but to avoid heavy usage with ac, i tinted all the widows with a #30 chrome film. the chrome film reduces the heat index by 70% which means the ac didn't work very hard to keep it cool.

my salesman at the dealership said i wouldn't get good mpg to start, due to a learning curve of how to drive this prius smart. well, i prove that not to be so. i did some research and found a website that explains in detail how to maximize your mileage before i purchase this new 06 prius.

i am here is this forum to give everyone this link and hopefully you will benefit as much as i have. thank you for reading my message and enjoy your prius.

Guide to Maximizing Mileage in Toyota Prius

david
    picarsic

2. omega II

omega II New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    my second tank of gas, testing highway mpg. my friend and i test the prius on the open highway doing 70mph from augusta to atlanta and then back. the average mpg for this 290 mile trip was 69mpg. when i got back to augusta, i fill the tank and calculated the mpg and could not believe how good this mpg average was.

my next test is to drive the prius at 65mph and see what the results will be.

3. omega II

omega II New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    my 3rd tank of gas, 65mph on cruise control and got 71 mpg.

can any prius owner relate to this outstanding mpg? talk to me, i would like to know if there are others who are getting these same results.

picarsic

4. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Hi and thanks for the info!

2 questions:

How flat is it around where you have been driving? I'd guess you would maximize your mpg if it's basically flat.

Have you computed the MPG based on miles driven/gallons to fill the tank, and compared that to what the display is telling you? Although it sounds like it's probably not far off, looking at the miles your getting on a tank.

As for me, I get only ~47 MPG.

p.s. Great job with your MPG!!!

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I am extremely curious how you are getting those high numbers. It seems that you burned a tank of gas in two days: 8/18 to 8/20 and averaged 70mph to achieve 69mpg. I have driven the Tri-state tollway numerous times around Chicago averaging around 65 mph and my mileage is consistantly at or very near 55mpg. I'm talking about a full screen of 5-minute bars that are perfectly lined up barely above the 50mpg marker.

I am intimately familliar with slow-speed techniques for optimal mileage and would really love to learn the techniques you have used for high-speed hypermiling. I read the article that you linked to and there was nothing new to me in there. Clearly you are doing something extraordinary. Please elaborate with as much detail as you can.

I think we can all learn from your performance.

6. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(picarsic @ Aug 24 2006, 05:51 PM) [snapback]309031[/snapback]</div>
    Wow, this is so awesome and easy to do, I think we should see some pictures of the MFD with 650 miles and 71mpg...

I can't wait, PM me when they are up.