1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Guilt feelings about buying and driving a Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by dzitlow, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Gen2

Gen2 Member

No guilt, we feel quite fortunate that we have one.

2. Spartan

Spartan New Member

I would not feel any guild. Life is about choices and we are fortunate to be able to make it. It feels good to be able to express your feelings by choosing a fuel efficient vehicle. :)

3. taaustin

taaustin New Member

When I bought the Prius back in late June I had some family members questioning my move. Mom works for GM, Dad (long divorced) works for Ford. I've driven GM cars for years with Mom's family discount.

They all looked in mild curiosity at my 'little electric car'. All were pleasantly surprised on their first rides, and were pleased with my early gas mileage reports (lousy by my current standards).

These days they all praise me for my foresight and my Dad getting on a waiting list sometime quite soon.

Guilt? HA! You've GOT to be kidding me.

Terry

4. Spunky

Spunky New Member

Do I feel guilty?!

Oh, man. Only every time I drive by gas stations and laugh. BWAHAHAHAHAHA! Then I feel so guilty.

:rolleyes:

5. alsgameroom

alsgameroom Member

:lol: HA HA HA HA HO HO HO HE HE HE HA HA HA HA HA HA UH UH UH (catching breath).

heres a good one, I heard a Dodge Charger commercial, touting the new charger as a family car getting 25 mpg (hwy of course).

Whats that thing got in it a 400 cui or something? I have a friend who knows someone who has one... 8 mpg 'roun town baby.

If you are dumb enough to fall for this advert you deserve it!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

6. Graz

Graz Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hey Widdletink!!!

Where did you get that bumpersticker "Save a soldier, drive a hybrid"????

I have got to get one!

Hook da brother up!

7. pennyprius

pennyprius New Member

I feel terrific not guilty. Now if they only made Hybrid furnaces for my winter heating needs.....!

8. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I have to disagree. In the 1950's, I don't think there were too many SUV's to choose from. Today, SUV's are not so far from being slightly larger station wagons. They also have 4WD which most station wagons do not have. I can see an argument for noone needing a full size SUV, but the mid size SUV's have there place.

For example - I really "need" an SUV. I have 2 snowmobiles and need to be able to tow them. An SUV is the best option - Not only can it town, but it would get me up to Vermont in any weather to ride them. Now, I did trade in my SUV (Jeep) for my Prius, since I only need an SUV for those specific times and I can borrow my Dad's Yukon as needed.

To say noone "needs" one though is inaccurate. If you said noone "needs" one as their primary vehicle, that's much closer to accurate, but many people can't afford to have 2 vehicles.

Oh.. and let me add - I feel NO guilt with my Prius. I also didn't feel any guilt with my Jeep, I just hated filling up at $50 a pop.

9. jaguaraja

jaguaraja New Member

i think he might have got it from me. i've been using that tag line for a while now at the xmfan, howardforums, and gm forums.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I get 50mpg. How 'bout you?
    -
    Buy a Hybrid, Save a Soldier
    Support America...go Hybrid

10. Graz

Graz Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hey Widdletink!!!

Where did you get that bumper sticker? I would love one or two.

11. Graz

Graz Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    III

I really appreciate that tag line. I really would love a bumper sticker that said it. I quote it in my tag line "Jag". Brilliant!!!

12. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    None. AND I got $100 bucks from the dealership for hooking my dad up with one. Now I just gotta convince my mom she needs one.

13. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have to say I drove a SUV off road and pulling a trailer, but also day to day. The latter is more than the former. I have to get to work. Now that the "Beast" is paid off I am, thankfully able to use my SUV for what it is intended for. I drive the Prius day to day. The best of all possible of worlds. The SUV goes places where the Prius can not.

14. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I certainly don't feel guilty about other people choosing to drive gas guzzlers. And by driving a Prius and using less gas, I am reducing the demand and therefore helping to hold the price down.

However, I do feel a bit guilty about driving a car. Even at 50+ mpg, I am consuming an imported finite non-renewable resource. A real environmentalist would not drive a car at all. Or if she did, it would burn something 100% renewable, like used cooking oil.

But I've got worse things to feel guilty about than driving the cleanest, most efficient mid-sized car available.

15. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You humble me. I agree. We must always try to do better. I have made a step up but is just a step. We are circling the drain.

16. VaPrius

VaPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The only guilt I feel is that I did not buy one sooner.

17. PhotoLady

PhotoLady New Member

I do not feel at all guilty owning and driving a Prius. :D

I still have my Ford F-150, but now I only use it when I need it - I am no longer using it for commuting. I was starting to feel guilty using it to go to work and back. :huh:

I have only had my Prius for 2 weeks and actually enjoy going to the gas station now - I can fill up for just under $20 instead of closer to $50.B)

I am now getting over 48 mpg instead of 15!! I should have done this long ago!! :lol:

2005 Seaside #6 w/etched glass

18. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Circling the drain indeed! An excellent and disturbing metaphor, Henry!