1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gumout vs. Fuel Consumption

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by calpal, Feb 19, 2009.

1. calpal

calpal New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I was getting 47-49 mpg here in North New Jersey in winter. Then I put in Gumout with a tank of gas at an Exxon station. The mpg promptly dropped to 35-36 mpg. It took 3 tank fulls later clearing out most of the Gumout to get back up to 45 mpg.
    I won't ever put in Gumout again and my advice is not to.

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What is Gumout?

3. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Not a surprise. Most (all?) of the gas additives have less energy in them than does gasoline. In fact the same thing for higher-octane gasoline. If you want the best gas mileage... use gas.

Pat - I KNOW you have google down there in Oz. :)
    GUMOUT

It is another super additive that does all good things to your engine, and cooks you breakfast in the morning.

4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Ages ago, way back before ethanol and fuel-injection and cleansers in gas, I used Gumout. It worked great. The 15 years since though, there's been no need for an additive.

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Well I'm glad to hear that temperature had no effect. <grins>

I have long thought that the best way to play havoc with some of the mileage claims of after-market nostrums is to test them in Dec-Feb., the coldest months in north Alabama. Then for things I like, test them in Apr.-Jun. and things I really like, Jul-Sep. Of course that would be unethical ... like many automotive magazine articles.

As for gumout, I have no opinion. In the fall, I clean the throttle body and add the 'injector cleaner' to the current tank. The throttle body cleaning works and the 'injector cleaner' so far, hasn't hurt.

Bob Wilson

6. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Injector cleaner? A tank of E10 now and again is all the injector cleaner ever needed. Don't they sell it in north Alabama?

7. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Darell, you know I'm a lazy bastard, why search when I can ask? Now you all know it isn't a universally known product.

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Not in Huntsville. We seem to be equal distant from the E10 stuff so we're still burning 'straight gas.' <grins>

I could drive down to Coleman, about 50 miles away, or up to Tennessee, about 50 miles away, or over to Georgia, about 75 miles away. It has been awhile since I've bought gas in Mississippi ... probably time for another trip to Tunica.

Bob Wilson