1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gurgling sound on ICE startup

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by isucompositeur, Jan 29, 2012.

1. isucompositeur

isucompositeur Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey folks,

I noticed my 2008 Prius making a gurgling sound today, just barely audible over the ICE. Trying to track down the issue, I noticed that it was only there when the ICE was starting after being stopped; i.e. if I was stopped at a traffic light and restarting. The noise did not start as soon as I started moving, but rather as soon as the ICE kicked in the gurgling started. It only lasted for a few seconds each time, and seemed like it may have been worse if I was on an uphill slope.

I recently had the oil changed at the dealer (<2 weeks ago), and they put in the 0w-20 Toyota synthetic for the first time (third synthetic change though, I'm not sure why they changed it up this time). I'm wondering if maybe they overfilled it... waiting for the car to cool down a bit before I go pull the dipstick and check. Coolant level looks fine in the reservoir. Today was the first time I've noticed the noise, but I usually have the radio on and that easily could have masked it.

Does this raise red flags for anybody else? I'm about to have it taken in anyway to have the 12v battery replaced and I'll probably have them look at it too; just trying to get a grasp on what this might be before I take it in.

Thanks!

2. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think that is just what you get from a Prius. I'm always hearing new sounds. My hearing is not the greatest so I can imagine how it must drive some crazy! The Prius is so different from all other cars! I think we just have to adapted to the new technological changes with our cars? Hal

3. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    water pump dying? when mine became audible I started to worry. soon after I had repair work done from a front end accident. they said it wasn't part of the accident but it is failing and they'll replace it anyway.

where about are you located? maybe there is a good independent shop near you. dealership tends to charge too much. if you're lucky, you can ask "what does it sound like" and they may pull over a guy. charges usually start when they plug in the OBDII reader. (again.. if you're nice enough, a guy may do it for free) even though you're not throwing visible codes.

btw.. when i booted my car into maintenance mode, i did see a water-level/hot icon flashing along with the normal flashing icon (not sure what it is since i don't really use maintenance mode anymore... i definitely don't look at it)

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yesh what kid said.

There's been hundreds of posts about post ENGINE coolant change done and done poorly (air not evacuated from coolant loop) and clearly hearing gurgling as the air pockets go through the heat coil under the dash.

Are you hearing gurgling under the dash?

But you have not had coolant service performed so there's def. another issue you need to investigate. Please check Engine & Inverter coolant level and engine oil level again asap.
    There should be no gurgling sounds.

OR....your now running 20 weight oil. Maybe its valve train noise with the new oil and it sounds gurgly to you.
    I tried 0-20 weight oil from Redline and I heard alot of valve train noise. Enough to bother me. The valve train in this car is pretty loud to begin with solid lifters. You will hear a little more VT noise running 20 weight I think. Especially when its cold. Does it get better after its warmed up?
    And what brand oil 20 weight are you running?

Good catch btw. Keep listening as that catches most problems.

Lilly58 likes this.
  5. isucompositeur

isucompositeur Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey folks,

FYI got this looked at last week. Turns out there was indeed air in the coolant line. I haven't had coolant service done since I bought the vehicle last year, so I had them take care of it. They weren't able to find any other issues, so I'm guessing that due to the faintness of the noise this really is the first time I've heard it. I'm keeping an ear out for a recurrence, but I haven't heard anything yet after a week, so feeling a little better.

I don't know if this would happen, but could it have had something to do with my poor 12v battery? In the end it was at the point where (especially in the cold) the 12v didn't hold enough voltage for the water pump to finish storing the warm fluid... I'm wondering if that could have caused the issue.

I would love to find an independent shop... but I'm in a part of the country where the only car worth driving is huge and American, so the dealer is really the only guy I trust with my car right now :)

6. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Coolant doesn't just get so low that you develop air in the system. You have a slow leak, most likely in the engine water pump. Keep an eye on the expansion tank over the next several weeks. Inspect carefully the area around the water pump pulley and the top of the A/C compressor for telltale signs of pink crusty bird droppings.

1 person likes this.