1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

guys it finally happened - flat tire

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by rpT, Dec 16, 2023.

1. JH26036

JH26036 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Just scroll up a little bit and you'll see all the details

2. 23PriLE

23PriLE Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Thanks, found one from a CH-R on eBay complete with jack and lug wrench. The others that were mentioned in another thread as fitting the LE were from the Mazda CX-5 and the Lexus UX200. Poster confirmed that the Mazda fit fine.

3. 23PriLE

23PriLE Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    So I just got around to opening the package with the CH-R donut that I found on eBay. It came with jack kit too.

The size is 145/80/16 not 145/90/16 which doesn't concern me since it would only ever be used briefly. The bolt pattern is also correct 5 x 114.3mm. But the hub opening is apparently 66.1mm not 60.1mm. I actually measured 66.3mm but 66.1 seems to be the nominal size.

So I ordered some aluminum hub rings from Amazon. Links don't seem to post but I thought I'd mention this since others may also want to use the CH-R spare. Not sure what year CH-R this is from, perhaps they changed the hub size at some point??

The tire looks to be in good shape and it doesn't look like it was ever used. I thought I saw some info on how to tell when it as made - a code of some kind on the tire - but I can't find the post. Anyone know?

4. 23PriLE

23PriLE Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Yikes! I think I just wasted $200.

I guess I should have looked at the space underneath the cargo floor before I ordered a spare. I just assumed that there would be enough room for a spare since it's supposedly included with the cars sold in Japan.

I also assumed that my FWD LE had more space under the rear deck since it doesn't have any additional room taken up by AWD or a larger battery like the Prime.

The space below the cargo deck is only about 5" deep and, obviously, the spare is larger than that. In addition it will not sit flat in that area. The portion of the spare that's toward the front of the car sits higher than portion that's toward the rear.

If I mounted the spare level it would raise the entire cargo area by at least 3 1/2" to 4". There's not a whole lot of cargo space back there as it is with the rear seats up. So I don't think I'll be proceeding with the installation since I don't really want to sacrifice that much space on a daily basis on the chance that I might get a flat.

I guess if I get a slow leak when I'm close to home I'll be able to install the spare and make it to the tire store.

So, if you're considering the addition of a spare please be aware of the trade-offs. The space is so shallow that I'm not even sure if a motorcycle tire would fit without raising the cargo deck. Arrrrrgh!

I was going to upload pics but the forum won't let me now that it's been "upgraded".

#24 23PriLE, Jan 15, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2024
  5. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    There's another possibility: That's not a spare from a C-HR. You've only got the seller's word, and who knows if they were the original owner.

As for the space under the deck floor, I really wish you would've looked at any of the several threads on here about spare tires in the gen5. It's been mentioned many, many times that all LE trims have a lower floor that require extra work to fit a spare into.

6. 23PriLE

23PriLE Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    The eBay seller seems to specialize in selling spare tires. They currently have 880 for sale listings - all spare tires. It was listed as "fits 2023 Toyota CH-R" and no other vehicles were mentioned so I'm guessing that's where it came from. Perhaps Toyota changed the hub diameter but it's not a big deal as the hub adapters are cheap.

Yeah, it's totally my mistake for not paying enough attention to the details of the spare tire threads on here. I was aware that the cargo deck is lower on some versions but I assumed that that there was more room under the deck.

I thought it was only the AWD versions and the Prime that have the higher deck and that all FWD non-Primes had the lower deck. I guess if you have AWD you won't lose much, if any, space since you had less to begin with. Prime owners are totally out of luck unless they want to have their cargo area filled with a spare full time.

The lack of a spare as standard equipment sucks. Of course, Toyota isn't the only manufacturer that has eliminated the spare, but that's no excuse.

To make matters worse . . . . As I mentioned somewhere previously, I signed up for the Safety Connect specifically because of the lack of a spare. Then I read the fine print about their Roadside Assistance and it says the flat tire service they provide is to change the flat and and install "your inflated spare", which is something that doesn't exist. :rolleyes:

7. JH26036

JH26036 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    It doesn't even sound like they sold you a spare wheel from a Toyota.

[​IMG]

8. priusdriver223

priusdriver223 New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Hey there, a little late but, I researched a little bit on tires for the gen 5. What I recommend is you ordering tires through a site called simpletire, I think they are based in PA, they offer very very competitive pricing compared to the dealer, Toyota quoted me 250 for a brand new factory tire with installation. Simple tire quoted me around 180 per tire after delivery from what I remembered. I got it installed for 20 dollars in NYC. Hopefully this will ease your future tire issues, cheers!

daisy555 likes this.
  9. 23PriLE

23PriLE Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    You're probably correct but the hub adapters are cheap so it's not that big a deal. The one I bought was a bit more than the one shown above - about $200 shipped with tax. All of their tires also include a jack kit.

I'm still debating if I want to keep it or not. They do have a 60 day return policy but, of course, I will have to pay the return shipping.

I'm leaning towards keeping it in case I go on a longer trip, especially since I like to drive the back roads whenever possible. If so I'll probably just fold down the seats and toss it in.

Interestingly, they have one listed for the new Prius which obviously came from something else. The size is 125/70R17 and they want about $90 more for it than the one I bought.

10. JH26036

JH26036 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Probably not worth returning when it's so heavy. If the tire works with a hub ring, so be it.

Currently in my Limited AWD, I just have the donut in a cover I bought from Amazon. It is strapped down with a few cords to keep it from moving. Yes, it takes up a good amount of space but day to day, I don't need that space either. If I have to travel with the car, then I guess I'll have to fold down one or both rear seats.

In addition, I wouldn't buy any more items from this seller. They probably aren't doing real extensive research on each model.

11. rpT

rpT Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e

did you get it on ebay by chance? I got a 145/80 and emailed the guy and he gave me a 90 free

12. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Gen 5s have been on the road for a year now. I’m still waiting for my 2024. How’s it going for those who are getting flat tires? I’ve been waiting on a replacement tire for my 2009 since last Thursday due to an issue at the tire store.

Out of curiosity I looked online for 19” Gen 5 tires and they are out of stock. I guess buying a spare tire for the Gen 5 is a critical move.

13. Paul Gregory

Paul Gregory Active Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Mine gives you nothing. Just a vending machine with gas station prices.

I Throw 99 likes this.
  14. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know this is an older post. I read thru quite a bit of info on this a while back but not sure which thread to read now.

Do you mind sharing the actual size and brand 17 inch wheel and tire you bought? You had to buy new wheel covers too, right? This is all out of my comfort zone but I’m surrounded by potholes on RI roads and can’t be dealing with the financial and psychological stress of getting stranded. Changing to 17” messes with mileage calculations, right? I might even get the off road lift after the warranty expires assuming I can afford it at the time.

I read a post on a FB group where one person bought 205/55/17 and another put LE rims and 195/60r17. Do both of these sizes require an ECM update? The wheels are so expensive. I suppose I would need to wait until I actually had a damaged wheel before making this change. Crazy just thinking about all of this.
    thanks!

#34 daisy555, Feb 14, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2024
  15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    No. Whenever the car makers spec two different sizes of wheels, they'll also spec tires with width-to-depth ratios such that the Outside Diameter (OD) of the rim/tire combo is roughly the same.

The wheel and tire specs are included in the owner's manuals, which can be downloaded in pdf format from Toyota. One source is Toyota Tech Info website, under the "Manuals" tab:

upload_2024-2-14_8-42-21.png

If you want to see for yourself how closely matched the OD's of the combos are, a tire comparison website is handy.

#35 Mendel Leisk, Feb 14, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2024
  16. JH26036

JH26036 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    If you're that concerned about potholes, then should go all the way down to 16s. The tires are the cheapest and no, you buy the right tire size, it won't mess with your speedo.

17. Lantaral

Lantaral Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    The two available wheels sizes are close, but different enough to create issues.

Have read there's no method to reprogram a car for the alternate wheel sizes. Surprised Toyota doesn't allow it within Techstream. Prius.2024.tire-sizes.17.19.inch.jpg

18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The difference is more than usual. Maybe odd too, that the 19" has the larger OD of the two; with gen 3 and 4 the 15" stock size was slightly larger OD than 17". I'd think as long as all 4 wheels are one size or the other, "issues" are minor?

Do you mean change the car's perception of what one wheel rotation means? There's a good reason you can't do that; anything that changes speedo or odometer is subject to abuse. Say owners trying to keep the car within warranty longer. Honda got spanked a decade or two back, for over-reporting miles travelled IIRC.

19. Lantaral

Lantaral Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Not re-programmable without limit. Only support for the pair of sizes Toyota offers.

Reading through the forum, there are quite a few owners who'd prefer the alternate tire size, some the larger, some the smaller.

At worst, it would appear to represent less than a 2% difference in distance driven. Doubt such a small change would create much impetus for abuse, as it would only add a few hundred miles to the warranty, at best. Most especially if it could only be reprogrammed within Techstream.

20. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Toyota does have different “calibrations” (ecm updates) for the various tire sizes on a vehicle.

Lantaral likes this.