1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

H11 to H9 Headlight Conversion

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by rstark18, Nov 7, 2009.

1. rstark18

rstark18 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Has anyone converted there headlights from H11 to H9? This is supposedly pretty easy and give a much great light output. I'm not thrilled with the beam pattern of my HID kit and that's why I'm thinking of going this route.

2. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Why don't you like the beam pattern after the HID conversion, too bright or the top cutoff not as sharp as the halogen?

3. rstark18

rstark18 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    They are very white which I like but two things bother me. The beam pattern isn't as smooth as halogen. I have two hot spots ( one for each bulb) that weren't there with halogens. Secondly o don't think I'm getting as much reach as I did with halogens.

The H11 halogens give 1300 lumens of light at 50W. The H9 gives 2100 lumens at 65W. I think I'd rather have even consistant light than whiter uneven light. Also the H9 bulbs are cheap ($13).

4. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    If you choose 4300K HID, you will get better reach, higher temp bulb gives too much blue light which the road does not reflect well. The hot spot is just because the HID is so much brighter.
    To convert o H9, you have to modify the bulb so that it will go into the housing.

5. a64pilot

a64pilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    HID's will work correctly and have a clear focus etc when used in a reflector designed for them. The Gen III headlight housing was not designed for HID's

anonymous likes this.
  6. radioprius1

radioprius1 Climate Conspirisist

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    To the original poster, you are better off listening to bedrock8x. a64pilot is like a broken record when it comes to HIDs. I wish his off switch was easier to find.

7. rstark18

rstark18 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I do in fact have 4300K HID's installed right now. Like I said in the original post, I really like the overall color of the bulbs as they are really white. My 4300K install I feel doesn't give me the reach I was expecting. My frien that has a Subaru WRX STi has factory HID's in it and they blow mine away.

After a very in-depth email conversation with Daniel at danielsternlighting.com I have decided to try replacing the H11's with H9 bulbs. I will report back with my opinion.

8. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    When you mentioned the WRX, I realized that you really mean the light is aiming too low, not insufficient candle power as you already have 4300K bulbs. I suggest to re-aim the headlight to factory spec.
    When I did my conversion, I noticed that the cutoff line is a little lower than the halogen bulb.

The H9 bulb is not as bright as the 4300K HID.

9. a64pilot

a64pilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Don't confuse lumen output with color when thinking "brightness", and yes I am a broken record when talking about illegal activities. I'm actually surprised the Mods allow discussion of illegal modifications, at least without some kind of disclaimer tacked to the post. Not saying they should or shouldn't, it's their forum, not mine.
    HID's are not "brighter" than Halogens, they are more expensive and efficient and can be had in different colors, but they aren't brighter.
    LED's are the future of vehicle lighting. lighter and more efficient than HID's.
    Out of curiosity, why do you think it is that cars that come factory equipped with HID's have halogen bulbs for the bright lights? If HID's were brighter, that wouldn't make sense would it?

anonymous likes this.
  10. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hrmmm - so when we talk about driving 5MPH over the speed limit in other threads, we should place a disclaimer (?????) because it is illegal (????). I do have to say this is funny....

11. rstark18

rstark18 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The reason that the high beams are typically halogen has nothing to do with brightness in factory equipped cars. It is to do with the way high beams are commonly used. On your lighting control stock you can usually pull it backwards to temporarily flash the high beams. If you did this with HID's you would burn out the bulb in a very short time. I've been working with adn using HID lights for many years in the diving industry and there is no comparison to the efficiency to brightness ratio of HID's compared with halogen. That being said the future of lighting is LED.

12. rstark18

rstark18 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I stopped by my local auto parts store and picked up two Sylvania H9 bulbs. It took me about five minutes to modify both the wiring harness socket and the metal keyed tabs for the projector lamp socket for both bulbs. Now that I've done it once it will take me all of one minute for both bulbs next time.I did one side first so that I could compare the HID with the H9. The HID is definitely whiter but the H9 does seem as bright. I the placed an original H11 in to compare the H11 to the H9 and the H9 is definitely brighter. For me the even beam pattern of the halogen out-ways the nice look of the white HID's

13. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    LED's are not that much more efficient than HIDs for the same lumens output. It is more expensive watt for watt.

The HIDs have the highest lumens output for auto headlight application, 2500-3500 depending on color temperature. The perceived brightness is misleading, human eyes tends to associate whiter color to be brighter, But we are talking output lumens here.
    For the projector lens, about half of the light is blocked by the gate to provide the top cutoff, so it leaves abut 1200-1600 usable lumens available which is within legal limit. There is nothing illegal here. But for those who are converting from the standard reflector lens to HID will be illegal because of excessive lumens and too much glare due to the larger light source of the HID bulb and causing too much scatter.

For your question about why there is no HID in the high beam, it is because of cost as you suggested. For the same reason above, a regular reflector lens cannot be used with HID, only projector lens.
    Some very expensive cars like BMWs do have HID high beams.

anonymous likes this.
  14. radioprius1

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I 100% agree with you rrolf!

15. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Did you take any pics? I'm thinking about also doing this...

16. rstark18

rstark18 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I don't have my camera today so I didn't take any pics. If I go out later tonight I will give a final opinion as to the reach and brightness.

17. a64pilot

a64pilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think HID's don't live long when used intermitantly. I've been trying to flash them for aircraft recognition lights and they burn out pretty quick. (300 hrs) Tried using these RMD Misc. Wingtip Lighting They are bright though.
    Now I have these guy's building lights for me Aeroleds > Home expected life well beyond average airframe life.
    Sorry you guy's don't think laws are relevant, I guess though you expect others to follow them? Or do you just get to pick which ones you like?

18. radioprius1

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ok Mr. "Never went 1mph over the speed limit," Mr. "never rolled through a stop sign," etc. What a hypocrite - LOL. Thanks for the evening laugh.

xpcman likes this.
  19. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Bumping this thread alive...

Tomorrow, I plan to do the same conversion that rstark18 did, and with the exact same Sylvania OSRAM H9 bulbs.

Has anyone else done this conversion? Any tips on cutting the tabs? Bulb installation?

Thanks.

20. bzyrice

bzyrice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    What wattage hid did the OP use? 35w or 50w hids? That will make a big differrence also..
    I'm using 35w now and may upgrade to 50w for more light..