1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ha ! I have a digital rear view, and didn't even know it !

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Chris Wolfgram, Nov 5, 2022.

1. Chris Wolfgram

Chris Wolfgram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    So when I had the aftermarket HU installed, of course I wanted to make sure my backup camera would work on the HU display, so before I even left the shop, I had to confirm it. Threw it in reverse, and Bam Picture looked even better than it did on the stock screen. But I guess I just assumed it would only work as a backup camera. Well this morning, while playing around with settings and such (while parked) I clicked the little camera icon, and the rear view popped up. Of course I figured if I put in gear, it would go away. Nope It gives me a continuous rear view.
    Now of course, one might say it's not as natural to look down lower to see the rear view... But for some of us it might be better, and here's why....
    I was watching one video about digital rear views and an older guy (probably my age.. late 50's) was pretty much bashing on them, and one of his issues, was that he wore progressive glasses (just like I do) which were stronger, on the lower portion for more close up viewing, and weaker on the upper portion for distance viewing out the middle of his windshield. So for him to see his rearview clearly, he had to darn near point his head at the ceiling, to be able to see his rear view through the lower part of his glasses ! Hmmm. I might not have thought about that, but it sure made sense !
    So now, my rear view is down lower Don't even have to move my head. I simply look down through the lower part of my glasses Perfect. And nothing more to buy or install.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Interesting issue, one that doesn't come up with a conventional rear-view mirror, because there you are focusing on the objects reflected in the mirror, which are several car lengths back, at a good focal distance for the upper portions of your lenses.

Naturally, you replace the mirror with a screen and a camera, and the camera does the focusing and the screen presents the image, and now you have to focus on that.

Gen 2 and Gen 3 Prius went so far as using a mirror in the instrument cluster (I haven't checked if Gen 4 still does) to put it optically farther from your eyes, so there's less focusing effort. The speedometer display is actually down under the dash, and when you look at the gauge cluster, you're looking at a mirror.

3. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    We have a Rav4 hybrid with the digital rear view mirror which both my wife and I like a lot. It gives a wide bright view that eliminates the pillars. Yes, we both have progressive lenses and the view is a bit blurry but both have gotten used to that. You don't have to have a crystal clear image to see well. So, it is really a matter of what you can tolerate, get used to and accept as tradeoffs. I know some people hate it but not us. Aftermarket ones, btw, are cheap but get mixed reviews of quality.

#3 royrose, Nov 6, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2022
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    after cataract surgery, i have the progressive lenses mentioned above. without them, i cannot see the radio or hvac controls and settings. speedo is fine, but some of the other info in the cluster would be blurry

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes, the Gen 3 cluster is an interesting design. The speedo is optically farthest from you, because it's reversed inside the dash and you're looking at it reflected in a mirror, so you don't need near focus.

But the warning lights and such are just right there in the cluster, so you need nearer focus for them. If you have the touch-tracer feature, that display is just right behind the (semitransparent) mirror, which is why it appears to float nearer to you than the speedometer.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Gen 4 definitely isn't because it's a TFT display. Only the Gen 2 and 3 are vacuum-fluorescent displays with that reflective mirror you stated to lengthen the focal point.