1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hack '06 SERVICE SCREENS (w/pics)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by marcdare, May 30, 2006.

1. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hmmmm..... you're right. dang :wacko:

2. Orf

Orf New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    With all this info on different hidden screens I have become quite befuddled and think I belong in the home for the bewildered.
    I was looking for a means to increase the mic volume so I went hunting and I think I have found a new screen that allows a Navi over ride for the 06 Prius (at least the Aussie one).
    Here is what to do:

1. Foot on brake and press the power button.
    2. Press the Menu button on RHS of MFD.
    3. Select Volume.
    4. Press Top Left, Bottom Left, Top Left, Bottom Left and a new screen with 8 selections will appear.

The selections are:

Version
    GPS Info
    Over Ride
    Error Log
    Disk Info

To over ride the Navi, press the Over Ride button for 5 seconds until it beeps.

I have never tried to play with the Nav system while driving and I am not willing to start now. Would someone try this and see what effect this procedure has on the Nav system?
    Powering down the Prius will return the Over Ride setting to its original state.
    I found the area where the voice to a Bluetooth phone can be set but that does not increase volume for Voice Recognition. Does anyone know how to make this adjustment?
    Sorry, no pics.

3. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MoreMiles @ Jul 3 2006, 12:15 AM) [snapback]280384[/snapback]</div>
    I have found this to be true about the '07 Camry. It works for me. And, also, you can dial the phone, something I can't do with my '05 Prius, even with the overide.

4. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Orf @ Jul 4 2006, 11:11 PM) [snapback]281246[/snapback]</div>
    These are the precise instructions used on the 2004/2005 Prius in the USA. But these instructions do not work in the 2006 Prius in the USA.

5. Orf

Orf New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Three60guy @ Jul 5 2006, 12:49 AM) [snapback]281287[/snapback]</div>
    The 2004/2005 instructions do not work on our 2006 Prius. Are you sure they are the same?

6. bobr1

bobr1 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Orf @ Jul 4 2006, 09:11 PM) [snapback]281246[/snapback]</div>
    Orf - I followed your procedure but could not get past the "select volume" page. I have a 2006 USA Prius, build date 11/2005.

More specifically, for me, there are two extra steps in there...

3. ANSWER "I AGREE"
    4. PRESS "MENU" BUTTON AGAIN
    5. Select Volume.

After that, no amount of hitting top-bottom will get you past that screen.

Your description sounds very much like the 2005 override instructions... I wonder if Toyota was still shipping the 2005 Navigation system / MFD to Australia on "2006" model cars?

A photo would be very much appreciated and might clear up that question.

Here is another way to tell: Graphically, on your usual MFD menus (like "Consumption"), are the on-screen buttons square in appearance or round in appearance? If you have square on-screen buttons, you have the old 2004-2005 MFD, if you have round on-screen buttons, you have the new high resolution 2006 MFD.

Toyota has been shipping some of the older 2005 MFDs in the USA, but only on base model cars. All 2006 USA models with NAV that I've encountered thus far have the higher resolution display.

- Bob R.

7. Orf

Orf New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry for not replying earlier but I have been out of town.
    The manual talks of type 1 and type 2 MFDs but I cannot remember which I have. I will check it tomorrow.
    I can say that most of the buttons have rounded ends if that is any help.
    Time permitting, I will take some photos tomorrow.

8. Orf

Orf New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    First of all, I have a type 1 MFD on my 06 Prius whatever that means.
    [attachmentid=4064]
    I have been playing about with the MFD and have found an easier way of getting into one of the hidden menus.
    Press and hold the Display button and flash the headlights 3 times. That will get you into the hiden display below.
    [attachmentid=4065]
    bobr1 is correct and the instructions I gave were incomplete. Try ther following:
    3. ANSWER "I AGREE"
    4. PRESS "MENU" BUTTON AGAIN
    5. Select Volume.
    6. Press Top Left, Bottom Left, Top Left, Bottom Left and the following screen with 8 selections will appear.
    [attachmentid=4066]
    Press and hold the Over ride button for 5 seconds and it will turn blue.
    [attachmentid=4067]
    I did find another hidden display but could not find it again. It appeared to have many more selections but I think most were info type data.

9. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Orf @ Jul 9 2006, 02:30 AM) [snapback]283245[/snapback]</div>
    So, is this where, on the '06 Prius, you can then have control again, and type in information and what not, whilst driving?
    Seems rather simple.

10. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Orf @ Jul 9 2006, 02:30 AM) [snapback]283245[/snapback]</div>
    This actually works on getting a different diagnostic menu but there is still no over ride button listed in the navigation area.

I tried this and I did not get into the service menu. I got to select volume and did the TL BL TL BL dance and it did nothing. I even tried doing it about 10 times and it still would not go into the service menu. I guess you Australians are just lucky to have your 2006 over ride button.

11. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I did some more searching in the root directory files on the DVD and found no mention of override or disable. If there is an override feature its not listed as a plain text button like the others. I'm going to call it quits for now. If I knew more about disassembling and reverse engineering I would continue further and manually try to recode the software. :(

12. augustson

augustson New Member

Orf--

Could you take more pictures of the subscreens of this main menu? (in particular, what comes up if you hit that "set time" button?)

13. Anubis

Anubis New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(augustson @ Jul 13 2006, 07:47 PM) [snapback]285982[/snapback]</div>
    I think that's to set the time on the NAV system. I've noticed that when I set in a destination and start my guide, the left side shows how many miles are remaining & the time. I thought at first it was the time remaining in my trip, but when I tried it once going to my ex's house, it showed 11:15 (he lives only 35 minutes away). I finally discovered that it is a clock and that the time is set incorrectly - it is about 14-1/2 minutes faster than my dash clock. I'd like to be able to get into Orf's screen as well and try setting the time. I get the same first screen he gets, but from there, everything is different (no Override button or Time Set button, etc).

While tapping madly away at my screen yesterday after reading this thread, I discovered yet another way of getting into that service menu: After pressing Display (to get the volume to appear), tap Top Left, Top Right, Top Left, Top Right, Top Left, Top Right.

I began to wonder if that Top Left was timed somehow (needed to be tapped slowly) and the other corners didn't do anything other than making sure you tap that Top Left a little more slowly. I don't think so, though, because nothing happens when tapping a Top Left, Bottom Right combination, or tapping Top Left by itself, at any speed.

I also tried it in motion at approximately 10 mph (my kids were in the back seat asking me if we were going for a world record for racing around in circles in a church parking lot :lol: ), and there was no difference.

14. augustson

augustson New Member

I noticed on another post (can't locate it at the moment) that the same override sequence that works for the '05 Prius also works on the Camry Hybrid (whose MFD looks exactly like the '06 Prius). If you take the disc out of an '06, you'll find that there are some things you CAN still do on the MFD and some that you CAN'T. One of the things you CAN'T do is access that VOLUME screen (the one where you do the little Upper Left, Lower Left, back and forth until you get access to the diagnostic screen containing the "Override" function). I was wondering if anyone knows if the Camry Hybrid disc is different than the Prius Disc? If so, does this disc work in a Prius? If it doesn't work in a Prius, could a disc be created from a combination of the two that WOULD work on a Prius and WOULD allow access to that override screen?

15. Benuwine

Benuwine New Member

So no one's found a way to work the destination screens in an '06 Prius yet? Seems kinda silly that my passenger can't put settings in while I'm driving. :p

16. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Benuwine @ Sep 25 2006, 04:41 PM) [snapback]324932[/snapback]</div>
    No one has found a software override yet.

I just installed the Nav override and the Bluetooth override this past weekend cost just under 4$ because I purchased the expensive switches. Now my passenger can put the settings in while I'm driving. :D

17. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    the override is not available/functional on recently built 07 hycams, including mine that was delivered (U.S.) 9/26...

rpm

18. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cheap! @ Sep 25 2006, 04:46 PM) [snapback]324942[/snapback]</div>
    I've now opted for magnetic switches that are invisible to anyone in the car. B) However I can access my phone and Nav system anytime I want now. A big Thank you to everyone who contributes to Priuschat. :D

19. augustson

augustson New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(onerpm @ Oct 2 2006, 03:38 PM) [snapback]327038[/snapback]</div>
    I think if you can get hold of a 5.1 disc and clear the Nav Firmware (either disconnect the Nav or the battery for a while) you'll have access to the override on the hycams.

20. rsexton

rsexton Junior Member

I went to the Toyota dealership today and asked to speak with their "smartest guy on Prius navigation". He gave me the following information.........
    ALMOST all 2004 and 2005 Prius have GENERATION 4 systems in them. SOME 2006 also have the older GEN. 4 systems, hence an earlier post from the gentleman from Australi who posted that his 2006 still would override with the top/bottom sequence. MOST 2006 have the GEN. 5 systems. The upgrade disc's for the GEN. 4 and 5 are not compatable. The version names are the same for each update, ie: v4.2 or v5.1 and the upcoming version to be released in Dec/Jan. The VERSION numbers are for the map data versions, they put the same map data on DVD's with the GEN 4 and GEN 5 software. GEN 4 systems will not read the disc with the GEN 5 software on it and vice/versa. So, if you want the new navigation software released in Dec/Jan, you have to specify GEN 4 or GEN 5 update. All updates have a GEN 4 AND GEN 5 version: 4.2, v5.1 which is in MOST 2006, and the soon to be released V6.x? Each year, normally in Sept., a new version is released and the price, he believes, will again be approx. $250 plus tax.

I do not know if the GEN 4 V5.1 disables the top/bottom override sequence because I only have the GEN 4 V4.2. Here is the purpose of my post..... I have successfully taken the program data from a Pioneer AVIC-N1 Nav. system and updated it with the map data from 2 versions later (CNDV_40MT software with the CNDV_60MT maps). The V40 allowed the bypass, the V50 and V60 disabled it. My brother just bought a 2006 with GEN 5 system and V5.1 maps. He copied the DVD and is mailing it to me. While it will not work in my 2005, I will try and combine the GEN 4 software with the GEN 5 map data, and hopefully it will also work the same for GEN 4 and the upcoming 6.x maps.
    Can anyone tell me if the purchased GEN 4 V5.1 update disc still allows the top/bottom override or did Toyota disable it in the update?

Sorry for the long post, but have tried to be as clear as possible, hoping this will be of some value to others.