1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Had 5K services and Oil Change (Some Drama)

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ATHiker, Mar 13, 2016.

1. JohnF

JohnF Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes when I bought mine my sales rep showed me that the 5K service does not include an oil change. Oil changes went from 7.5K to 10K shortly after I picked up my 2011 in May of 2011. Unfortunately the reminder setup in the car didn't get the message and kept bothering me to get service after 7.5K, which was a pain. The 10K intervals are so much easier to remember.

I suspect that what happened here is that the dealership's computer setup has a standard printout and the adviser did not update it per your request. At least the tech got the message and did not monkey with the pressures. It would have been far more annoying to ask them not to mess with the tire pressures and then discover after you left that the pressures had been reduced to door jamb. This has happened to me.

If you are running at 44psi, did you reset your TPMS for the higher pressures by using the protocol in the owner's manual? If you did, I don't know if the difference between 44 and the door jamb number would have been enough to set off the TPMS if they reduced the tire pressures. Of course, they could have reduced the pressures AND reset the TPMS!

Maybe my expectations are low, but I would not be too mad at this dealer.

N.J.PRIUS likes this.
  2. Frederickdawg

Frederickdawg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I've never used any of our recent free oil changes received with new cars in the past. Just don't trust them.

I'd sooner someone do it for me than me busting my nice person sweating like a pig but I'd also sooner know the job was done with no issues. Not worried about something over tightened nor dings on panels or dirty oil stains in car. Peace of mind.

LG-H901 ?

JohnF likes this.
  3. Gen 2 Tom

Gen 2 Tom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's a shame you do have to be on top of them all the time. If it helps, I never rotated my 2006 prius tires. The ware was about even on them. When the fronts were shot the backs were ready to go to. I was getting about 75 K out of a set. still on the third set at 200K. Hope the new 2016 does as well.

N.J.PRIUS, Frederickdawg and bisco like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome and well said!(y)

5. N.J.PRIUS

N.J.PRIUS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    `

I am amazed you are getting 75K out of a set of tires!

6. JohnF

JohnF Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Driving economically reduces tire wear, saves that way too. Hard braking and accel and whizzing around corners scrubs off rubber. Inflating tires to sidewall helps keep wear even, surprisingly, and also helps reduce squirm and slip of the contact patch.

My 2011's original tires still had four or five 32nds left at 50K miles when I sold it, run at 45psi, wear dead even across the treads on all four.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Can you recall what they were?

8. JohnF

JohnF Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think they were Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max. The car had 55K miles on it when I sold it but a few K was on snow tires, so something over 50K on the OEM tires.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. Gen 2 Tom

Gen 2 Tom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I do about 60 miles a day. About 40 of it highway miles. The Gen 2 seamed to be gentle on the front tires. After 200K the suspension is tight.

N.J.PRIUS likes this.