1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Had a flat tire

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by kc5dlo, May 9, 2017.

1. kc5dlo

kc5dlo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Finishing up a 5500 mile vacation and was on my way home when I started hearing a diferent tone to the road noise. Looked up at the dash and sure enough, low tire indicator was illuminated. I had thought I needed to check the spare tire pressure before I left but did not. Luckily it was just a little low and was able to get everything sorted out and on my way home with minimal delay. One thing I learned was it was difficult to get the jack to start raising the car. It slid underneath just fine, It just was very hard to turn the handle at first. I think that once the car was raised a bit, the geometry got better and the jack worked fine. Another contributing factor could be the car was leaning towards the side of the flat. Got to a station with air and plugged my tire and swapped it back to it's place on the car.

Question is, There was an Eye Bolt looking tool with the jack kit that I don't have a clue what could be used for. I'm sure someone can let me know what it was.

2. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    tow hook/

Raytheeagle and Mendel Leisk like this.
  3. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Grillcraft custom grills.JPG +1 to Starcaller. There are 2 square holes in the front bumper. Either will work with the eye-bolt securely screwed in once the access plate is popped open. I needed to use it to have my totaled Prius towed to the salvage yard. BTW, that donut spare should always be kept at 60 pounds.

4. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    They call it a tow hook, but what it's really used for is to tie down the vehicle on the cargo ship. My 2006 only has one place for a tow hook, while current production has two. Seems some Hondas had a particularly bumpy ride from Japan and they increased the tie downs for the ride over.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The Toyo scissor jack is not very good. That's putting it politely. It works, barely.

A simple change to the material/configuration of the connection to torsion rod would improve it immensely. Google Honda scissor jack image to see the difference.

Toyota style, single eye, the torsion rod tends to jump around with every turn:

upload_2017-5-9_20-46-35.png

Honda style, bent-plate double eye, the torsion rod stays much steadier:

upload_2017-5-9_20-50-33.png

Gangnam style, now how did that get in there? (n)

upload_2017-5-9_20-52-15.png

#5 Mendel Leisk, May 9, 2017
    Last edited: May 9, 2017
    breakfast likes this.
  6. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you ever need to be pulled onto a flatbed tow truck, they will connect their cable to this tow hook and pull you onboard. Don't ask me how I know. It's not a good feeling to be following your vehicle to the dealer behind the flatbed. For the record, it was not a Prius on the flatbed.

7. kc5dlo

kc5dlo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Good to know about the tow hook. Thanks!