1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Had a weird thing happen

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Jeffery Merrill, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It sounds like a square deal, but, after two years why not just get a from Toyota battery, they now sit at 1600$, and what the heck, no worries for five years just Rubber and brakes.

2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Doesn’t sound bad;).

But if /when the pack does fail, you’ll want the tech to be there ASAP, which might not be soon enough:(.

Just a word of caution as there are plenty of stories around rebuilt packs here and if you do not have DIY equipment to repair, you might be SOL for a bit.

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

3. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Same thing happened yo me this week. Our 2008 Prius still has the yellow small battery in it. When I tested it with the ignition ON, it read, 8...volts. The battery noe has being replaced.

4. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Can we likely say that those batteries may have FAIKED dueld to production issues, or stayed longer on the shelve?

This is a nightmare. Sometimes, over here in Nigeria, we get all sorts of batteries imported here, as so-called new. But my experiences has shown that some of these batteries, even though they are new, don't last last 2-3years.

5. Jeffery Merrill

Jeffery Merrill Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I should have clarified, it was a bad cell in the 12V battery, not the traction battery, and it wasn't as new as I was led to believe, it was the original from 2009. The new 12V the P.O. put in was in another Prius he was working on at the time of the sale of my car.

I personally have all the tools to remove and replace the traction battery, as well as any equipment needed to test the individual cells, as well as the experience, lol. The P.O. told me to give him a call 24/7 in case of traction battery problem and he would have a tech out from Chicago either as soon as possible or first thing in the morning if it happens overnight.

Simple, money. I don't have much of it. depending on how things go over the next couple of years I might be able to put away that much, but I am looking at a move in the next six months so until that solidifies things are kind of fluid. Besides, I am also looking into a Lithium Polymer pack, far more stable than the Lithium Ion systems.

#25 Jeffery Merrill, Mar 11, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2018
    Dxta likes this.