1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Had an at fault accident - braking anomaly - like hit sheet of ice

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by sas0611, Oct 10, 2012.

1. sas0611

sas0611 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, the good news is no one got hurt. The bad news is I am charged with at fault accident and worse yet, when I get the front clip of my prius rebuilt I'll never feel safe driving the car again even if it looks as good as new.

My driving record is good. My last accident was 20 years ago. My Prius is an 08' with 75K miles and good tires. Just inspected last month by toyota dealership.

Here's what happened -

Driving down asphalt road that was slightly damp from drizzle. It was about 58 degrees out and around 7:30 PM so it was dark. Was very much aware of my speed as I was concerned about a deer crossing my path and hitting it - that's why they call where I live bucks county. I was going about 25 miles/hour. I could clearly see an SUV stopped about 80 feet away at a stop sign. I put my foot lightly on my brake pedal to begin a slow controlled gradual stop. This kind of braking encompasses about 99.5% of the braking maneuvers we all do every time we drive. What happened next still has me puzzled and very much concerned. What I experienced next can best be likened to hitting a patch of black ice and completely losing traction. But if that was not strange enough, there was no pulsing in the brake pedal like you would expect in this situation from an ABS equipped vehicle. I did not release pressure on the pedal but pressed harder. Nothing changed. I kept thinking that any second the tires would grip the road. When they did not, I realized at that point I had two choices - pull into the left lane and avoid hitting the rear end of the SUV. I thought better of this because there was a good chance of having a head on with a car that may have come around the corner. Also, I had a likely chance of continuing to my quiet glide into the intersection where I could have possibly been broad sided and killed. So I braced for impact with the SUV at around 25 MPH - the same speed I was traveling when I originally depressed the brake pedal some 70 feet back.

The back of the SUV probably had about 800-1000 dollars worth of damage. I have not had my prius estimated yet but if it wasn't at least $5000 i'd be surprised. I was amazed that it seems perfectly fine driving.

Needless to say, I am grateful no one was hurt but am very concerned about how the car failed to handle correctly. I am also angry that I now have an at fault accident that I feel was not my fault. I told my insurance company what happened but they really were not that interested. They said only the dealership could determine if something malfunctioned and I should have them look at it. They didn't really care if I followed up with them about it or not - at least that is the way it seemed. I'm sure they hear all kind of pathetic stories where their insured try to minimize their contributing mistakes leading to an accident in hopes of lessening surcharges to their renewal premiums.

In my mind it would almost be better if I could find fault in something I did or didn't do to cause the accident. This is because I had hoped to hold on to this vehicle for at least another 4-5 years and figuratively drive it into the ground. When I get this back from body shop I'll need to think about whether I'll ever trust this car again and may decide I need to get something different.

Do any of you know whether a fault in the brake system will cause an error condition to be stored and retrieved using scan guage or by some other means. I'd really like to know what went wrong. If so, do you believe dealership would be straight with me if they found a problem ? If a problem was found, would Toyota in any way be responsible for what happened ?

Thank you all for reading my post and thank you for any technical expertise you can share with me. I already know about the latency between regenerative braking and friction braking. This may or may not have started like that condition but it did not resolve in any thing close to a timely manner. Forgive me for cross-posting this in other gen II forums.

2. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you suspect a vehicle fault you should contact toyota and request an inspection of the vehicle and analysis of the data recorded.

3. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Wet asphalt after a dry spell can be like driving on a sheet of oil. The oil from the traffic is on the already oily slick asphalt. There was nothing for the ABS to grab on to...like driving on black ice.

4. sas0611

sas0611 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It had been raining most of the day but had let up to a drizzle by nightfall but I am familiar with what you are saying. Thanks

5. sas0611

sas0611 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I will try to get Toyota regional or corporate to look at it. I'm guessing the last thing they want to do is find another problem but I would trust them more than the dealership to do a responsible inspection.

6. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What was the pressure on your tires. A lot of Prius drivers do the "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" bit with the 50 psi tire inflation which probably makes the already harder rubber low rolling resistance tires like racing slicks.

7. gring40

gring40 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    sas0611 ... If it had been a black ice-like situation, you wouldn't have been able to pull over to avoid the SUV; was there in fact any steering response or was the car drifting as if on ice? If you had some steering and the car was tracking as if it had traction, that points to some error in the braking system, I would think.

8. sas0611

sas0611 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually just adjusted them for fall weather temperatures. I had them at door placard recommendation 35 front and 33 rear. Should not have been a factor but you are right - lots of folks do push for better mileage. I used to do that but the trade off in slightly better mileage didn't seem worth it to me in harshness of ride. When I did have pressures higher I'd never do more than +3 lbs in front and back. Maybe that's why my mileage was not that much better at higher pressures.

9. sas0611

sas0611 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks - I was thinking about that. I can say with some certainty that I did not have any lateral (left/right) slipping but then again I did not turn the wheel much past dead center. I do not know what would have happened if I had tried to shift lanes - I didn't attempt that.

10. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I hope you didn't still have Goodyear Integrity tires on the car. What model are you running and what was the tread depth?

I've never heard of the brakes failing in such a way. I would be scared to drive it again too.

11. sas0611

sas0611 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No the integrity were really scary tires. I have Hankook H727. Can't give you tread depth but they look like they could run another 20K miles. Been happy with how well they have performed and held up.

F8L likes this.
  12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did the airbags deploy? If so, some crash data should have been recorded, including whether or not it recognized you pressing the brake pedal. I don't know what might get recorded if the airbags don't deploy.

How hard did you end up pressing the brakes? Did you apply your full body weight, or at least 112 pounds? If so, and inadequate braking effect was produced, then there is a clear violation of brake safety requirements that should be reported to NHTSA as a likely product defect.

But if you applied far less brake pedal pressure, then the issue becomes quite muddy. Power assist brakes can still pass regulatory muster if they fail by reverting to old fashioned manual brake mode, where they still work if the driver stomps really hard. Drivers accustomed only to typical power brake feel, who encounter such a failure, may not reflexively escalate to the necessary manual brake force, leading to a crash. But since many drivers will not respond correctly in such situations, any recurring failure pattern should still be investigated for possible defects that can be remedied.

There seem to have been a few hints of transient brake failure in various vintages of Prius mentioned in PC. I encountered it twice in my 2010, but only in relatively benign parking lot startup conditions. Both were cleared too quickly for me to think or explore anything. I have also wondered if any of the braking problems claimed in the Toyota SUA Fiasco of 2009-10 may have been some sort of transient brake failure, either complete system or just the power assist. (NB: I strongly believe the great majority of SUA/runaway incidents are operator error, but cannot generalize that confidence to cover absolutely all such incidents.)

However, reports have been too sparse to illuminate any pattern, or to separate car faults from operator faults. So please help the automotive community by following up as far as you can.

uart likes this.
  13. sas0611

sas0611 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No air bags were deployed. I did not stand on the brake pedal but applied significant pressure. Was it 112 pounds - I do not think so. If I had to guess I say it may have been closer to 80 lbs but I really can't say for sure. I will definitely follow up with anything I learn in the near future.

14. sas0611

sas0611 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There is one thing that I did not mention and I just remembered. About 3 weeks prior to this happening I had my MFD loose communications with all my peripherals - blue tooth, climate, audio, etc. It only happened that one time and corrected after shutdown and restart of the car. I was able to bring up the diagnostic screens on the MFD subsequently and didn't know what all the hex error codes meant but some of the more discernable descriptors seemed to indicate LAN issues (i think that's what the description was). I took that to be similar to computer local area network communication errors. Was this a precursor to anything that happened last night - I don't know but it was coincidentally the only time in 4 years that either of these two types of anomalies have happened MFD and traction issues (the later being about 3 weeks after).

15. sas0611

sas0611 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm going to call it a night but will try and get some photos up of the front of car and the tire condition tomorrow if I have a chance. Thank you all for taking an interest in my problem. Hopefully it's just an isolated incident which hopefully can be explained if/when I do in fact get Toyota to inspect data and braking system. Stay tuned and check back for some pics of a really ugly front end.

16. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...our 2006 has the problem ( I think it's a known problem) if you hit bumpiness in the road while you are breaking, then the brakes seem to give way for a brief split second.

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  17. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Keeping in mind that estimated / perceived pedal forces in emergency surprises won't be very accurate, I'd say this lands squarely in the 'muddy' zone.

By not applying full body weight or much higher brake force than you did, I think you committed a driving error.

However, this doesn't let Toyota off the hook. The 112 pound figure (actually 500 newtons, a metric unit) is the brake pedal force that must stop the car from a certain highway speed (100 km/h?) in a certain distance (~160 meters?) under a variety of brake impairments, including complete loss of power assist. Your 25 mph incident shouldn't require as much pedal force to overcome power loss, but I'm not aware of other specific tests.

And anything that is causing brake failure or a loss of power assist, transient or not, recorded as an error code or not, needs to be investigated. While it may not actually violate current federal regulations, the surprise factor in the modern world where many drivers won't reflexively revert to old-fashioned manual brake style will cause damages, so it needs to be addressed and wrung out.

Drivers need to be reminded that if brakes seem to fail in this manner, they MUST put their full body weight into the pedal. This will overcome numerous brake failure modes, and let you get to the repair shop safely. If the brakes still don't work, then we have an unambiguous sign of a product defect for NHTSA to address. At lower pedal forces, there may still be a defect that requires remedy, but the situation is not so clear cut.

Please keep us informed. And if you really feel that the car suffered a braking failure, even transiently, don't be afraid to Report Your Safety Complaint with NHTSA. Rare bugs are difficult to troubleshoot, so user reports are necessary to find and fix many of them.

xpcman likes this.
  18. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sounds more likely that you hit a patch of diesel, which with the added rain that day will be very much like hitting a patch of black ice. I'd be very curious if the SUV was a diesel and had he had a leak? Or was the road surface very worn with just the tar showing? This and rain will again be just like ice. Failing that, perhaps if you've had hot weather all year, then the rubber from people braking for the stop sign could again act like ice in fresh rain.

What level of grip do you have on your tyres? If it's less than 3mm (not sure what that is in inches), then it is very likely your tyres are to blame. Not sure on the legal requirements for you, but here 1.5 mm is the legal limit but many companies and public vehicles change tyres at 3mm as below that they are next to useless in wet conditions (and we get a lot of wet conditions in the UK).

19. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi sa06111. Were you able to determine if the event was due to the brakes failing to operate or due to lack of friction on the road (black ice etc). It would have been interesting to see what would have happened had you have hit the park brake.

It certainly seems like a strange issue. At the speed and distance you mention it would appear that (normally) even the regenerative braking alone should have pulled you up.

20. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...we don't see too many diesel patches here. We do see that roads are more slippery when it rains, if it has not rained for a while. I thought this was due to lube oils leaks.

Here is one explanation from Google:
    Why is it Dangerous to Drive After Rain?

In one forum, a motorcyclist said he was taught to get out of the middle of the roadway and get to the sides where the car tires contact to avoid the slipperiest portion of the road during this situation.