1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

had car 2 days, hit a deer before I even put it on my insurance, now what?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Brett., Mar 18, 2012.

1. Brett.

Brett. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As for the brakes, I depressed the pedal quickly but firmly trying to get the ABS to kick on and started to turn left to go behind the deer as I saw it was at full charge and knew I was going to hit it. I didn't hear or feel ABS activate, the wheels just locked almost instantly and the car proceeded to slide just a little to the left. I was gliding with the radio very low when this occurred, so I thought for sure I should have heard the buzz of the ABS. It didn't even try to activate. The road surface was dry, the temp outside was in the 60's and the tires were warm from already having driven 12 miles or so.

2. dhanson865

dhanson865 Expert and Devil's advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Keep in mind ABS doesn't guarantee the tires will never slide/lock up. The goal of ABS is to reduce stopping distance and depending on the situation some amount of locking up the tires will help you stop quicker. The difference is between sliding 100ft with wheels locked up vs sliding 5 ft, rolling 5ft, sliding 5ft and being able to steer while tires are locked up only part of the time.

Of course my numbers are totally made up, I don't know the actual ratio of lockup to rolling when ABS pumps 15 times a second nor did I bother to do the math for distance traveled at any set speed.

3. DumbMike

DumbMike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If it helps, the damage to your car was nothing compared to when I hit a deer with my old Carolla, and that had metal bumpers, etc. The deer pushed the radiator back into the engine. Luckily, I was able to bend the radiator back enough to where everything would (kind of) work so that I could get home. Comparatively speaking, it doesn't look like much damage was done to your car. Like you said, mostly (if not completely) cosmetic.

Good luck on getting it fixed and made pretty. Somebody correct me, but isn't the car supposed to be able to absorb this hit at this (relatively low) speed?

Mike

4. PRPrius

PRPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Because of the way the brakes in the Prius operate, you wouldn't feel brake pedal pulsation when the ABS system engages. A loud noise from an ABS pump will also be absent. The Prius uses electro hydraulic braking system. The hydraulic pump pressurizes a storage tank; using solenoids, the system releases pressure from this tank to the individual brake lines. The hydraulic pump is a two speed pump; pump speed is determined by the type of braking or whether VSC or ABS is engaged. The brake pedal is connected to the stroke simulator; designed to mimic the feel of a normal brake pedal. Should the braking system fail, the computer can link the brake pedal directly to the brake lines to create pressure using the brake pedal.

2 people like this.
  5. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've had to do the "panic brake" twice in the last year and didn't squeal the tires in either case. You probably won't feel the ABS kick in with the Prius. I don't think I've felt anything anytime it's happened to me in snowy weather. Admittedly, those are typically done purposely, so that I'll have some idea if it ever happens when needed.

I almost kissed a deer once in one of my panic stops. Well, actually, I almost kissed the steering wheel and the bumper almost kissed the deer :D. The other panic stop, was someone making a left turn in front of me when I was halfway through the intersection (a small one). Luckily, the Prius senses when you do this, and I believe applies full brakes about a half second quicker than we can. At least, I'm pretty sure that's what I read about the car.....maybe someone else can confirm that for me.

What's important, is that you weren't injured and the car can be fixed. Now what's on every redneck's mind that reads this.....did you go back and pick up dinner?

6. krazypriuslady

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

nooo.. can't eat bambi.. :eek:

7. Brett.

Brett. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Haha! All I could find was the leg. Deer don't know death, the adrenaline gets going and they can run fast, and far with only 3 legs as I am witness to this fact.

The insurance adjuster asked me if there were any witnesses, I said yes a whole heard of them. But they had no comment. He didn't even smile when I said that? I thought it was funny.

:) The front of this car can sure take an impact nicely apparently! Here's to hoping it never happens again!

8. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    No, the goal of ABS is to maintain control of the vehicle. If the tires are all skidding, you have very minimal control over where the car goes. With ABS, skidding can be avoided, and you may be able to steer around whatever you're trying to not hit.

Stopping distance with ABS is decreased on some surfaces (wet pavement), and increased on others (gravel, snow). But in all cases, you have more steering control than without ABS.

1 person likes this.
  9. AZGeek

AZGeek Semi-informed Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    1) It could have been worse
    2) If you still feel bad, think about being the deer :eek:
    3) Now you have a perfectly good reason to get one of those spiffy illuminated emblems to replace the one that now seems to be missing!

10. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This is a common misconception. The goal of ABS is to keep the wheels from locking, which is why it is called Anti-lock Braking System. Anti-lock is the key word. ABS generally does not reduce braking distance, and on loose surfaces such as sand and gravel it will increase braking distance. Generally, however, it will allow the driver to maintain control and steer, which is its key benefit.

ABS is not flawless. Any situation the simultaneously locks all four wheels will not be detected by ABS. It needs to see a difference in wheel rotation to note a locked or locking wheel. If all four are locked, it thinks that the car has stopped.

Tom