1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Had Hybrid battery rebuild and still getting code to replace battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jack Panozzo, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Jack Panozzo

Jack Panozzo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It was a business who was advertising and I did not find it on Craigslist and wasting money preferably when I cannot afford to spend $3,200 to $1,900 to replace a battery on a car that is not even worth the money to spend it on it's kind of frustrating so yes it is a little sad that I did get screwed out of money thank you

2. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The cost differential between Asian cylindrical cells is very narrow from a shop standpoint.

I'm not sure how much less they would have to be than OEM to make them attractive enough to offer to customers. $500 less? $700 less? $900 less?

Prodigyplace likes this.
  3. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have put more into repairs than what a car was worth but I knew what I had when it was done. It's a lot different if you have to pay someone to do the work, a different ball game. The car that comes to mind had three transmissions installed in it's lifetime and I put the last one in.

4. Texas Hybrid Batteries

Texas Hybrid Batteries Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    To be an option for me they would have to be half the price of the new packs. Probably $700 less than they are now. Toyota changed the whole game with the new battery prices.

pilotgrrl likes this.
  5. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thx for the correction. Never noticed until now.

6. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Wow. 4 years. Your customers love you. But, a failure in 4 years would be like lotto odds. Very unlikely to happen.

Yeah, when I heard $1600 for new OEM HV packs, decision is a no brainer.

Any idea why Toyota decided to dropmthe pricing? Last I remember the cheapest I saw was $1900-$2100. Now it is a consistent $1600 range.

Maybe sandblast the Orange (Dorman) and Green (FraudTech) Hv Battery cases, and sell them?

7. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The hack is making shite up and can get away w/ it b/c you don't know enough about the Prius. He is scum and won't honor his hack.

If he had the some decency, a quick check w/ Techstream would tell him which module pair went bad: his replacement or a different pair.

Why don't you report him to the Michigan Automotive repair licensing board?

SFO likes this.
  8. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would guess they dropped the price in order to sell more packs. This definitely will prevent many folks from choosing used packs.
    Note that the price drop was only for Gen2 Prius packs. So Toyota may not have felt it important enough to compete aggressively with other models.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  9. LittleRedPrius

LittleRedPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sorry, not trying to hijack the OP's thread... My HV battery seems to act up and I'm looking at the various options in Michigan. My Google search brought up GreenBeenBattery. They offer 5 year warranty and charge $1549 for coming to your house and installing a reconditioned battery. Anyone heard of them? They got 10 positive reviews on Yelp from all over the country.

Thanks!

10. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Makes sense. Had that price been available when I replaced my wife's I'd have gone with a new one rather than a 2-year old one. I wonder what that is doing to the prices of used packs.

11. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome!

I would avoid them and all battery rebuilders. Especially when you can get a new one from Toyota for almost the same price if you install it yourself, which isn't hard.

Here are a couple discussions about them and the rebuilt battery concept in general.

Green Bean Battery | PriusChat
    Reconditioned Battery/5 year warranty/1500 dollars | PriusChat

Prodigyplace likes this.
  12. LittleRedPrius

LittleRedPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks! - I've been reading threads here for two days but hadn't encountered those two ...
    The Toyota dealership told me it's $2500-2600 to replace the battery (with a new OEM, I assume).
    I don't really want to do it myself - whenever I made minor repairs I ran into problems with screws/nuts/bolts that won't get loose, or broken push retainers etc., or I don't have the proper tools. Although, if I get the battery for $1600, I can buy the necessary tools and still save a significant amount of money.:D

13. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Avoid Fraudtech! They are scum too; purposeful misleading claims.

Always look at reviews w/ suspicion. It is known business have paid people to write positive reviews on Yelp and other platforms.

If you are a glutton for punishment, enjoy inconvenient break downs, and like spending money unnecessarily, by all means get a "rebuilt" from FraudTech, Dorman, etc.

You would not buy a used cell phone battery expecting longevity and trouble free operation.

14. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    $2,600 for I'm battery installed at a dealership is a good price. Usually I hear them charging $3,000+.

Of course doing it yourself is cheaper dollar-wise.

jerrymildred likes this.
  15. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven't heard of any fatalities about a DIY HV battery pack swap yet. But if stealerships start selling packs to every Tom, Dick, or Harriet who wants one, there might be one soon. It's not quite as simple as replacing a 12V. I wouldn't want newbies here to get the idea that the swap from old to new is harmless - far from it.

16. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Getting a pack from a dealership is much more involved since it is not fully assembled.

Also most dealers have a protocol on how they want it returned as far as labeling, car information, etc.

Generally there is a $1,300+ core fee as well. So be sure to have extra money handy to float for a bit while you work on your pack.

It's less work than a complete diy kit from some sellers. But still more work than a fully assembled drop in replacement. Plenty of opportunities for making a mistake, like not properly torqueing nuts and bolts.

17. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hindsight is 20/20.
    And it doesn't really do any good for someone dealing with a problem to say..."You shouldn't of done that".

But in about the decade since I first started looking at Prius and Hybrids to today?
    The whole idea of rebuilt or refurbished batteries has kind of changed.

When I first started looking, much of the advice or common thinking was that reliable, refurbished or rebuilt batteries would become available, and that they would be cheaper great options when the Hybrid Battery failed.

Not to knock some of the very qualified people offering this service or product, but in about 10 years, I've seen the attitude really change. Unfortunately I think the whole segment got and is sullied with too many people, who really don't know what they are doing.

So you get independents trying to rebuild batteries with very mixed results, or playing whack-a-mole with failing modules. And then we read stories about Prius Owners disgruntled and struggling with trying to get warranty remedy, and sometimes eventually ANY remedy at all.

So with all due respect to those who can and do good work?
    My blanket recommendation is now to just get a "new" OEM battery if your Hybrid Battery fails. Too often, any savings a rebuilt or refurbished battery might offer upfront, get's immediately negated by immediate or premature failure.
    While I don't think I've really read a post or thread where someone was upset about a OEM new replacement.

jerrymildred likes this.
  18. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    It's that time frame that is so important in these observations. 10 years ago, those modules in the repair supply pool were, well, 10 years younger (relatively speaking). I've seen more than one hybrid repair shop get out of the battery game because the odds of finding decent modules to last another 5 years for warranty purposes was not worth the effort or financial risk.

The good/bad news is it's been found that gen4 modules will work but require a complete exchange of all 28 so it's not a super cheap fix like the wack-a-mole concept.

My belief is they have enough data to know the hammer drop is coming very soon on all the good gen 2 OE batteries still in use and understand the risk/reward pricing is constantly lowering for owners of cars approaching their limits on depreciation, mileage, years, etc.

I'm going to tag @austingreen as he might have some insights on the OE battery supply side of this discussion.

Raytheeagle and jerrymildred like this.
  19. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Why all 28? How is the exchange done?

20. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Sorry, since I got a new Toyota replacement batt last summer, I'm not staying up with the latest intel. But IIRC, Todd at tampa hybrids was the first reported here to have done it. You should try searching those terms.