1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Had Hybrid battery rebuild and still getting code to replace battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jack Panozzo, Feb 20, 2018.

1. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Apparently the Gen 4 trim 2 NimH modules are the same size as the Gen 2 modules. Just different on the top slightly in appearance. So no restriction from using Gen 4 trim 2 modules with Gen 2 packs. Of course, there would be difficulty getting module pairs into blocks with roughly matching capacities. That would be tough but not impossible to do.

So it's not clear to me whether or not one would need all 28 Gen 4 trim 2 modules for a Gen 2 Prius. It would probably best to do so anyway.

#41 jadziasman, Feb 24, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm told that the best match comes from having all cells from the same donor battery.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  3. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My understanding is that it is not recommended to mix modules from different generations in the same pack.
    I know Toyota has said they have improved the Nickel quality in Gen 4 packs. I would expect they made improvements in the Gen 3 pack over Gen 2 too.

4. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I found a dealer in Lansing that sells the genuine Toyota battery for less $1780.

5. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    IIRC, Todd got a Gen4 pack from a wreck, that only had a few thousand miles on it.

For reliability, you would want to all the modules of similar age, resistance, etc. Makes sense to transplant all the Gen4 modules, from the donor wreck, into a Gen2 case. I'm sure the Gen2 driver, w/ the Gen4 modules, is good for another 8-10years! Pretty much a new battery for the cost of a rebuild, but the longevity and reliability of a NEW OEM HV Pack.

jerrymildred and Prodigyplace like this.
  6. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My point was is that it's not mandatory. You could mix and match the modules from Gen 2, 3, and 4 (trim 2) since they're the same size, voltage, and capacity. This isn't rocket science.

Greentech and Dorman will be combining Gen 3 and Gen 4 modules some day - if they're still in business five years from now.

fotomoto said that the use of Gen 4 modules REQUIRE a complete exchange of all 28. That is false.

7. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Dorman is a large, international, publicly-traded company. They aren't going anywhere. Their product line is diversified. Walk into any parts store across the nation and you will likely find an aisle dedicated to Dorman products.

Prodigyplace likes this.