1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Had some herky jerky accelerating today

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Ryan Romaine, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Ryan Romaine

Ryan Romaine Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Heyo, my first time owning, used , 2008 Prius was acting s little funking when accelerating at a red light today. It happened s few times, it would take like half a second ish for it to kick in and drive smoothly. I have no clue of Prius issues, and was wondering if this is something serious. My obd2 sensor with torque app didn't show any error codes. The battery was low purple, so I guess engine was being used to its full capacity. Oil and fluids should be topped off. Where should I start checking to see if I'm developing an issue? It's old, almost 160k miles. And can't afford to have a major issue.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles on her?

it is sometimes a dirty throttle body and may sensor, which don't throw a code.

does she burn any oil?

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is a common issue when you are low on the battery SOC. When it's at 1 bar (purple), it is actually a very bad sign of upcoming failure. The battery is not designed to go that low on charge and when it does go that low, it just means the battery is very weak and will fail in the near future.

I think the jerky feeling goes away when the battery is charged half way or higher..

Skibob likes this.
  4. Ryan Romaine

Ryan Romaine Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, this is the last thing I need. Batteries are expensive. I'll have to keep my eye on it, and prepare for the worse. It is nearly 160k miles, but sucks since I bought it less than 5 months ago

5. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    The inexpensive check is to pull that air inlet to the throttle body and look at the throttle plate. If it is heavily carboned, that can cause the throttle plate to stick shut until there is sufficient force to open it, then it pops open suddenly. This can easily be cleaned with some throttle body cleaner and a few rags and old toothbrush.

Edit - here is an example from a 2007 Camry that had a jumpy throttle, and this one isn't particularly bad.

2019-04-23 15.07.57.jpg

#5 jb in NE, Aug 23, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    Skibob likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I found to best clean the throttle body, you want to unbolt it and lift it up. You can leave the coolant hoses connected. With it away from the intake manifold, you could spray carb cleaner directly with no ill effects, but I'd still be inclined to just spray it onto cloths or q-tips, clean with those. If it's never been off, and considering the miles, maybe get a replacement gasket while you're there.

2001-2009 Toyota Prius Gasket 22271-21030 | McGeorge Toyota Parts

2nd gen throttle body torque specs in the attached.

Attached Files:

Skibob likes this.