1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Had the pump recall done today- Mixed feelings...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by FrankD, Dec 7, 2010.

1. FrankD

FrankD Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I did not want to hijack a thread, so I hope it is not wrong to start another pump recall thread. My apologies to the forum if it is.

Thanks to PriusChat, I found out about this early, and got it scheduled for today. I called them the first day it was posted, and they ordered some.

I told them I was there for the recalled pump fix, and I did not want them to do anything with the gas pedal or mats. They did the pump, and then came out to the waiting room to tell me that the thermos pump sounded loud, and that I should have that done also. He said it might be under my extended warranty, so I'd only have to pay $50.00 I told him ok. I did think my Prius was making a sick sounding noise after I turned it off, and since I had nothing to compare it with to know if it was bad or not, I said ok.

Then I find that there was a TSB on that pump also for 60 months or 60k miles, whatever came first.
    (TS-B-0087-08)
    They did not know anything about that. My Prius has 67k on it, but it has sounded the same since I got it over a year ago. Anyway, it cost me $50.00, so I guess I can't complain.

Since I was waiting awhile, I started chatting with the parts dept guy. I asked him how much the Toyota WS ATF fluid cost. He told me my Prius took 3.2 quarts, and it was $8.00 per quart. I would need to buy 4. I almost bought it, but then I spoke to the service manager after, and asked him how much it would be to have them change it, since it was there and they were not busy. He proceeds to tell me the ATF fluid cost over $20.00 a quart, so it would be expensive. I told him to check again, because it was more like $8.00

He checked again and told me I was right, and that for them to do it it would be about $75.00 I had them do it.

When all was done and I was paying the bill, I said that because I had both pumps done, I now had all of the cooling fluid changed. He told me, "yeah, twice". I told him, no, they are separate, like two separate systems, and that if anyone else had the recalled pump done, it did not mean they had the total cooling system fluid new. He said, "Really, are you sure? I didn't know that." He thought they changed the same fluid twice.

I started to leave, but then looked at my bill, and verified they charged me for the 4 qts at $8.00 I turned back around and asked him, "Since it only took 3.2 quarts, and I paid for 4, I might as well take the 8/10's of the quart with me in case I needed it down the road. He said,"Sure, good idea", and went back to the shop to get it. He returned with an open quart with it less than half full. I told him this was way less then 8/10's, and I hope they did not overfill it. He told me his guys were very careful, and he was sure they put the right amount in.

I said "ok" and left.

Am I being too anal? Should I be concerned? I guess I'm just frustrated at how clueless the dealerships seem to know about the Prius. I know that I do not know that much about it, but it is not MY job to know it.

Anyway, I got both pumps done, (well, I hope) new coolant, and new WS ATF installed today for $125. Is there anything I should verify or anything?

Thanks, Frank D.

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I would say that all-in-all, there is a fine line between OCD and being annoying. It sounds like you were being careful and attentive. I was rushed to the emergency room as a youngster and while laying there receiving stitches I was making arrangement to take the box of gauze home since I paid for the whole thing and the only used half. So you're not alone in wanting what you pay for.

Just don't pay $3.00 for a gallon of gasoline and then ask for your $0.001 back because the price is actually $2.99 9/10. Even if you can prove that 1/10 cents is a valid unit of currency. :D

As for the service dude being clueless about the Prius. I would take it easy on him. He's not a certified Prius Tech; he leaves the details to the guys who are. He manages service visits for all vehicles Toyota manufactures. I would never expect anyone to memorize all fluids and levels for all of them. Except perhaps Tideland Prius who has some freaky autoknowledge the likes of which I've never witnessed before.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Transaxle ATF capacity is 4 US quarts, not 3.2.

2. Although a TSB exists regarding the coolant heat recovery pump, a TSB is not a recall notice. If the part was installed outside your factory warranty period then it was fair for the replacement to be covered under the extended warranty.

3. You might look behind the driver's side headlight, to see whether the inverter coolant pump looks new. You may also want to check the coolant levels in the engine and inverter coolant reservoirs. The CHRS pump is located in the LF fender in front of the tire, hidden behind the plastic fender liner.

4. When the CHRS pump runs, does it produce a different sound than in the past?

3 people like this.
  4. FrankD

FrankD Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks guys,
    Tony, I agree. I would never be that much of a pain. I remember being told they had one really good "prius guy"....I hope I got him today.

Patrick, you are so helpful and knowledgeable. I so appreciate the help. I just looked and the pump does look new, although it was a bit hard to tell because I keep the car clean, so almost everything under the hood looks new still.

I could not find a transmission fluid dip stick. Hopefully they put the correct amount in there. All in all I got a lot of work done (I hope) for $125.00 I will remember to listen for the "after shut-off sound". I just ran the car for a few minutes, and turned it off to listen, but it did not make any sound this time. Thanks!! Frank D.

1 person likes this.
  5. derkraut

derkraut Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just want to add how much I appreciate Patrick Wong's contribution to this forum. In fact, whenever I have an issue or question regarding my car, I first check all of your posts; THANKS Pat!.:):):):):)

1 person likes this.
  6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There is no dipstick. The way to check the transaxle ATF level is to open the fill plug (located on the side of the transaxle that faces the radiator) and see if you can feel the fluid with a finger. If so, then the fluid level is good. The spec is that the level should be within 0-5 mm from the opening.

7. FrankD

FrankD Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks!
    I'm leaving soon to teach tonight, and I'll listen for the sound of the thermos pump........I'll check tomorrow about the fluid.

You guys are the best!

Frank D.

8. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Both times I changed the transaxle fluid, I got less than 4 quarts in before the transaxle was full. I would estimate the refill volume to be about 3.7 or 3.8 quarts. When you check the level, it is important to have the car as level as possible (i.e. if you raise the front to get access, you need to raise the rear to keep it level).

9. hpartsch

hpartsch Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Agree!

1 person likes this.
  10. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for sharing your story. My '07 is under recall, but I am waiting for the temperatures to drop further, because my thermos pump, which was really loud last winter, sounds perfect this year despite the 30 F outside.

11. lextoy

lextoy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    so from this i gather that it is impossible to overfill the trans fluid??
    and am i correct in the assumption that the transaxle fluid and transmission fluid are all in one on the prius?
    i am coming from a rav4 with 3 different reservoirs trans, front diff, and rear diff. yikes!!
    prius is soooo easy:)
    what is the change interval on the prius trans fluid?? lifetime, but safer to change every 100k??? and super safe to change every 50k?? just guessing...

12. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Not impossible, but extremely difficult. You could overfill and then quickly replace the plug before the excess had time to run out. Or jack the front of the car way up in the air and refill. :madgrin:

I fill it until fluid starts to come back out the fill hole, then allow time for the excess to drain out while the car is level.

Officially it is a lifetime fluid, but UOA from others suggests 60k would be a maximum. I'm using a 30k change interval. The factory fill showed high readings for Si at 10k which went down after the next 10k.

13. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sometimes, the US repair specs appear 'off'.

For example, the owner's manual clearly states the oil capacity to refill with engine oil and filter change is 3.9 US quarts. The manual also states - do not fill the oil above the top dimple on dipstick.

Many here can attest that 3.5 US quarts fills to the top dimple and 3.9 will put it clearly above the dimple at least 3/8".

My last regular service, I told the dealer, just put in 3.5 quarts, do not overfill. The result - level is very close to the top dimple.

Perhaps the technician seems wrong in some cases, but it could just be a matter of specs not translated well from the originals.

14. FrankD

FrankD Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Patrick,
    Sorry it took longer to repost, it's been cold up here!
    Anyway, I drove the Prius the other day, and noticed the "after you turn off the car" sound was different then before. The noise seemed more consistent and stronger. Before the pitch of the noise would very a bit and sounded weaker and whiney.

It does sound different. I never heard another Prius, so I do not know what to compare to.
    I still have not checked the tranny level....it's only 10 degrees here.

Frank

15. Hytec

Hytec New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I had the inverter coolant pump replaced yesterday, in addition to the accelerator pedal mod and oil change. Everything took less than 1-1/2 hours which surprised me because the pump replacement by itself is "advertised" as requiring 3 hours.

At any rate, now there is no, or very little noise after shutting down Power. There has always been a distinct whirring or gurgling pump noise since I bought the car 6 years ago which I thought was normal...guess not. :eek:

Regarding the accelerator pedal mod, I did not want it done based on comments by others on the Forum, therefore did not mention or authorize it. However an over-eager shop tech performed it on his own, which I guess is a good thing because guys like him will catch other problems that owners might not be aware of. Initially I was very upset when the car was returned, but now that I've driven it it's no big deal. In fact I don't notice any difference.

I have been very pleased with the staff and service of Allen Toyota, Gulfport Mississippi over the past 6 years, but yesterday really put icing on the cake...Thank You!

16. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Mine's being done this morning, hope I can report equally happy results later today!

- D

17. Genoz World

Genoz World ZEN-style living

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    GOT a question for the gurus here.

my friend owns an 05. his pump failed BEFORE the recall, his car was OUT of warranty and paid for the pump out of his own pocket. Now that there's a recall, is he entitled to a refund of this work?

thanks in advance.

18. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    @Genoz World
    Yes, if you look at the TSB, it says if you've previously paid, toyota will reimburse you.

1 person likes this.
  19. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    That noise was NOT from the Inverter Coolant pump which runs continuously when in "Ready" mode. It was from the Thermos Coolant pump that momentarily runs at start-up and shutdown of a 2004-2009 Prius.

JeffD

20. Hytec

Hytec New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Oh, OK...Thanks. :cool: