1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Had time cover gasket replaced today, when picked up now has dash light of car with exclamation

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Wildanimalpark, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Wildanimalpark

Wildanimalpark Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    I took the battery cables off and left them off 3-5 minutes. Put the cables back on. Started the car, NO light, hit A/C button. LIGHT BACK ON. I have taken the the cables off again. letting it sit while I type this reply. The first time detaching my radio presets were still there so maybe I did not leave it off long enough. It is only 53 degrees outside so I am not sure if the a/c would come on but I did hit defrost button as well. I will wait a little longer before attaching.

2. Wildanimalpark

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    I probably need to back up here in case it has an effect on the overall picture as I had not mentioned that the low oil/ oil change took place on FRIDAY and that is when they said the time cover gasket was leaking very badly and my engine only had two quarts of oil. They said they could replace the gasket and have the car ready by closing. This was at 11AM on Friday. They called at 4PM and said a couple of the gaskets they needed to finish the job were not in stock and it would be 7AM Monday before they could get the parts. They gave me a choice of them putting the car back together and me coming to get it for the weekend or leaving it until Monday. I said I would pick it up Monday. They called at 9AM Monday and said it was ready to go.

I just took the battery to Advance Auto to see if it was still good as it is original 2012 battery. Their machine said it must be charged before it could diagnose the battery. Advance Auto is charging the battery and he said it would take about 35 minutes to charge the battery.

Did leaving the car over the weekend with I am assuming doors open run the battery down? The car was started and brought to me at Toyota and was running. It wasn't until I started putting in GPS that I noticed the new dash light, car! and drove back into the service line ans asked what that light was.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    anytime you take your car in for service, there is a possibility that they will run the battery down. very few techs understand the delicate nature of prius 12v.

4. Wildanimalpark

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Some good news finally. Advance Auto charged the battery and their tester says the battery is good. On my way to pick it up and reinstall.

bisco likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Traditionally mechanics will put protective covers on the car's fender if they're going to be leaning into the engine bay a lot, and blanket on the driver's seat. Maybe they should start a new tradition, putting a simple maintainer on the 12 volt, whenever they're going to have an ongoing drain, say have the doors hanging open for hours.

taxibuddy likes this.
  6. Wildanimalpark

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Well, the light is still on after picking the battery up from Advance Auto. Girl Scouts never covered the good stuff like don't close the trunk after removing the battery as you cannot open it. They did teach resourcefulness and I crawled in the side doors after putting the seats down and installed the battery. When I started the car it looked good on the dash with no lights but my hope went away as the car! light came back on. I guess I am going back to the dealership as I do not know what else to try.

7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This one?

upload_2018-4-3_9-14-50.png

Yeah there should be codes stored.

8. Wildanimalpark

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Good news is that charging the battery made the A/C come back on. I just dropped it back at Toyota and will wait to hear their new ideas and codes

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. Wildanimalpark

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. Wildanimalpark

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    The dealership is sorry I have had such a time and is replacing the aux. battery for free and running diagnostics to identify another source of the “car!” Code. I can hear the $$$$$ adding up

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    They better switch the meter off early!

My hunch is you ONLY had an oil burning problem, and this cover replacement was a complete fool's errand, just a minor leak, and they managed to cock something up along the way doing that.

There's been a fair number of cover replacement stories here, seems like something that's "let sleeping dogs lie" category: it's really tough to do with the engine installed, piss-poor engineering.

Maybe Toyota should have designed a pre-made gasket, not this form-in-place nonsense, which is nigh impossible to do under in situ conditions.

#31 Mendel Leisk, Apr 3, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    Wildanimalpark likes this.
  12. Wildanimalpark

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    My head hurts..Toyota has now had the car four days and wants another or possibly two more days to try and isolate why the ! light is on. They did offer me a car today but I declined. I just cannot believe this is a Toyota. I bought my first ordered Toyota Tercel wagon after college and over the next thirty years we have had two Sienna Mini vans, Land Cruiser, LS460, and GX460 but now I will consider other makes as my belief in the longevity of Toyota is destroyed. I had paid out $800 for the cold weather engine shake on this car three years ago and now this $1200, and I still do not have the car.

Hard to believe they cannot isolate the cause. It is only because of this forum that enabled me to become knowledgeable about the aux. battery and condisation in wiring from their engine cleaning that has them looking for a cause.

Thank you for helping me remove the battery and restoring to A/C to prove to them that yes it did work before you touched it.

13. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Time to get Toyota Corporate involved.

14. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Just got my customer satisfaction survey link via email today asking for feedback on my 12 day without a car experience. They called once, I stopped in 4 times, I called 3 times. They only happened to escalate to the Toyota Tech Support level after 8 days when a regional guy happened to be in the shop for another car. In the end, they admitted they weren't sure, replaced two relatively low cost parts, gave me the service receipt 8 days after the car, delivered the car with the entire trunk torn up. The good news it was a free "goodwill" repair and hasn't occurred again but since it could be any number of starts or miles or days/months between failures only time will tell. but My family has bought 2 cars from them, has 5 Toyotas currently.

So you are not alone.

Talk to the service manager. Ask that they escalate the problem. By accepting a free rental, you start costing them money which increases their incentive to fix the car.

15. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I took my ~54.5k '12 v in with a Maint Req light on, came on 20 miles ago. Said oil change and Maint Req. They called and said timing chain cover gasket leaking, covered by warranty. 6 hours later charged me $25 for an oil change and tire rotation. Charged warranty $1100.

16. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Factory warranty covered that?