1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Had tires replaced. Next day ABS and Traction Control Lights are on.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by DaveMode, Dec 14, 2019.

1. DaveMode

DaveMode Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Everyone. I have a 2013 Prius with just over 100K miles on it. A few days ago I noticed my tires were getting pretty sketchy so I dropped $500 on a set of 4 new tires. Although it could be a coincidence, the next day while driving my ABS and Traction Control lights on my dash light up. I noticed the car is no longer regen braking. I was on my normal commute home and nothing unusual occurred when the lights came up. I own a wireless ODB reader and paired it with the iOS app called EngineLink (got these a few years ago when I wanted to turn off the reverse beep) but I wasn't able to get it to pull up any error codes. The only other thing I tried was disconnecting the battery to see if that would reset anything, but it didn't help. Anything else I should try before taking it in to the dealership?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    look under the car at each wheel to make sure the wiring harness plugs are connected. sometimes they get knocked off by grease monkeys.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Was it multiple days after the tire install before the problem occurred? And did you drive it a fair bit in the intervening time? The more time and driving, the less likely it's the tire shop, I would think.

Also, do you keep a bluetooth dongle constantly on the OBDII port? A few years back I was getting check hybrid system warning coupled with some brake warning lights, and return-to-basics braking. Brakes worked, but kinda "worked to rule".

This happened about 3 times over the course of over a year, and the 3rd time dealership mechanic suspected it was due to the scangauge always weighing on the port, maybe shaking, suggested I give it a rest and see how it went. I did that, and problem never returned.

My 2 cents: take it to the dealership, let them assess it, record and then dismiss the codes, reset everything, pay the $75~100, and then see how it goes, with nothing connected for a while.

#3 Mendel Leisk, Dec 14, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  4. DaveMode

DaveMode Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No, it was less than 24 hours and no more than 30 miles after getting the new tires installed. I do not keep an ODB dongle installed. I actually had to pick through my garage for almost an hour to find the ODB dongle I owned to attempt to get error codes.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Each wheel has an ABS sensor and if one was knocked loose you’ll get this error. That is by far the most likely cause. You need a real code reader. You should definitely be getting codes for this. Maybe a friend has a better code reader.

6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Doh, should have read the title more carefully. Still, might be something unrelated to tire shop, who knows.

7. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Take it back to the "shop" that changed your tires and make them fix it.

ASRDogman likes this.
  8. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Bisco has the best DIY advise.
    Visually look for a disconnected, broken or frayed wiring.
    Jacking up the car and removing the rims would be a logical step if visually can not fully see the wiring.

Returning to the original shop, I would be hesitant as if they caused the error will they admit it and repair for free?
    Third party (dealer) FWIW could be evidence to recover costs from the original shop.

And...what did you find, what caused the errors?

9. Eddie25

Eddie25 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yep, I would bet it's just a slightly off connection in the wheel well that goes to the wheel speed sensor. Same thing happened to me when I changed my splash guard, I think those connectors are pretty easy to knock loose.

bisco likes this.
  10. DaveMode

DaveMode Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks everyone. By chance does anyone have a photo or diagram showing where these sensors are and what to look for? I'm certainly willing to jack up the car and try looking myself. If I can't DIY, my plan is to first take it back to the tire shop (Tire Kingdom) and see if they can check it out, if no luck there, I will take it to the dealer.

11. Eddie25

Eddie25 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III

ABS & VSC. Toyota Prius | Springhill Toyota, Mobile AL

This diagram might help see how they are routed. Mine was just a front sensor wire routed incorrectly through the splash panel and I had the same issue. I Just moved the wire I didn't even mess with the connection. Seems to be a somewhat common issue, so that's why I assume they are sensitive in that regard. Hopefully it's as easy as that. Before taking it in maybe just give it a once over, I guess the concern would be that the shop might just want to throw a new sensor on.

12. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    tire kingdom!???! That has got to be the worst place to go...
    I hope that it's something simple....

13. DaveMode

DaveMode Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    UPDATE (and possible closure): I brought the car back to Tire Kingdom and they were nice enough to lift it up and show me the underside. They pointed out the ABS sensors, and in my non-expert opinion, they seemed undamaged. I then brought the car into the Toyota dealership I purchased the car at. They called me a moment ago to say it is a bad brake actuator. Apparently this is a $3,000 repair, but Toyota was covering it. I was confused as my car has 110K miles on it, but Toyota apparently is covering that part for cars up to 150K miles. They didn't have the part on hand but told me they'd have it by tomorrow. Considering I drive away tomorrow without a bill, I'd say this was probably about the best possible outcome.

14. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's just NIFTY! :) :)

15. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That is an AWESOME story!

My car has over 140,000 miles so I’ll have to figure out a DIY if that ever goes. There *has* to be a way to repair something that costs $3,000.

Please ask them for the old part, and photograph it if you can. I think they have to give you old parts if you ask. I’d like to see what this thing is.

16. SB6

SB6 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The brake booster can be replaced for cheaper as long as you're willing to not have the dealership do it. I only got my "brake booster with master cylinder assembly" changed (as opposed to brake booster with master cylinder assembly AND brake booster pump assembly) for ~$300 (used part, new version) + ~$150 labor

Edit: Fixed part names per Mendel Leisk's post below

#16 SB6, Dec 20, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
  17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think the "actuator" is part of "brake booster pump assembly", the lower component, with the two "beer cans". Toyota's terminology seems to be getting away from them: in this pic they've got an "actuator hose" and "actuator bracket", but no "actuator".

upload_2019-12-20_9-30-31.png

A few pages further, they do show "brake actuator bracket assembly", a sub-component of "brake booster pump assembly": (Full Repair Manual excerpt attached.)

upload_2019-12-20_9-34-13.png

Anyway, for the brake booster pump assembly (lower component, 2 beer can), removal is described in the Repair Manual as requiring removal of "front cross member sub-assembly". That is a total groaner, to put it mildly. I would guess the dealership service departments started protesting, and Toyota came up with a work around. (Service Bulletin attached.)

Attached Files:

SB6 likes this.