1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Had to buy a new tire, what about revs per mile?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by oldtone, Aug 13, 2016.

1. oldtone

oldtone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I had a tread separation near the sidewall on a tire so I had to buy one tire, I put it on the rear. Since my tires had 20K+ miles on them I knew the new tire would have a slightly different diameter. I haven't had any issues or codes but I'd like to know if slightly different diameter between the front wheels can cause any harm to the drive train. I would usually replace the whole set but these had plenty of usable tread left. Three appear to be 7/32s remaining with the newer tire at 8/32s. It's time to rotate this tire to the front.
    Thanks!

I searched and found a thread that indicated it might cause problems:

Interesting warning light -Video attached | PriusChat

2. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    1/32 I'd say you'd be OK.

I understand Subaru (and some other brands) 4 wheel/all wheel drive vehicles are notorious for wanting the owner
    to change all four tires when one goes bad. My recollection is if the tires are within 3/32 you are OK to replace only one. Do an internet search to confirm as need be.