1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Haiti Disaster: What's the best way to donate?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by SPEEDEAMON, Jan 15, 2010.

1. SPEEDEAMON

SPEEDEAMON Professional Car Nut

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Have you donated to the disaster?

What's the safest way to donate? Hopefully 100% of your donation actually goes there.
    Once it gets there, its so corrupt who knows where the funds will go to.

2. moxiequz

moxiequz Weirdo Social Outcast

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  3. Fstr911

Fstr911 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    If in doubt, a donation to the Red Cross can't go wrong.

The Haitian people and thier suffering is beyond what most of us will ever see/experience in our lives.

This is truly a very sad and disturbing situation.

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The Red Cross has one of the worst records of any aid agency. They go for the publicity and then pull out. They raise money for one area and spend it on another. Their administrative expenses are outrageous. They are without a doubt the worst choice for your donation.

Doctors Without Borders is good. Oxfam is good. The American Friends Service Committee is good. Any of those will make good use of your money. I'm sure there are others.

I seldom if ever give disaster-specific or earmarked donations. I select a few organizations that I feel are good, and I give them the amount I've decided to give, and let them use the money where they feel they most need it. There are disasters every day. One or two a year make the news and get the big donations. By giving regularly but never earmarked for the publicized disasters, organizations I trust can use my money to help the people who didn't make it into the news, but who are suffering just as much as those who did. Homelessness in America is an ongoing disaster right under our noses.

1 person likes this.
  5. GreenGuy33

GreenGuy33 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Relief for Haiti - Artists for Peace and Justice
    100% of the money goes to Haiti. There is NO overhead! Because the banks have collapsed, the money raised is being hand delivered by volunteers.

6. eaglesight333

eaglesight333 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Probably, the best thing to follow links that reliable news organizations have posted. Worse thing would be to click a link from an email that you get.

7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  8. GreenGuy33

GreenGuy33 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Every organization is saying don't send supplies. They need money. They can buy a lot more food and supplies much cheaper at neighboring islands/countries.

9. SPEEDEAMON

SPEEDEAMON Professional Car Nut

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks everyone.
    Obama says donate to:

Clinton Bush Haiti Fund|Home

On the surface the name sounds more fishy than others but probably the safest

10. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    So when person A says 'I don't trust them not to divert my money.' I say 'You can still give supplies.' And you say 'Don't Bother, they only want your money'. Looks to me like Person A can either do nothing, or ignore you.

The plea for supplies was on UMCOR's home page, it is a 2 inch by 3 inch button on the right. They do NOT seem to be discouraging donating supplies. Yes, money is faster, but the need for supplies will go on for months.

11. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  12. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Or do your research and give to an organization with a track record of getting the aid to the people that need it without involving corrupt local officials or spending an excessive amount on administrative costs.

Or do your research and give regularly without waiting for disasters. That way organizations are prepared and can move in immediately when there's a need, whether that need makes it onto the "disaster" news or not, and also have the funding for long-term development projects.

13. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    maybe its best if someone ( maybe i can do this ) opens a paypall account where al the donated money from that account is booking directly to accounts from people living there.
    No big organisations where mananger have a big salary and bonus working for a humantary organisation. ( i mean can you life with your self getting more then 100.000 a year from donations people make and for people in need? ) and the money go's directly to the people there.

14. Fstr911

Fstr911 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    It amazes me how someone would slam an organization that has provided more than 120 years of service providing services for mankind.

American Red Cross: Use of funds on programs= 90%
    Administrative expense 6% of funds CEO Salary = $47,000.00

American Friends Service Committee: Use of funds on programs= 83%
    Administrative expense 8% of funds CEO Salary = $198,288.00

Oxfam: Use of funds on programs= 80%
    Administrative expense 6% of funds CEO Salary = $308,250.00

Doctors Without Borders: Use of funds on programs= 86%
    Administrative expense 2% of funds CEO Salary = $149,000.00
    Note: “Doctors Without Borders USA (DWB) does not meet the following 2 Standards for Charity Accountability.â€

Standard 4: Compensated Board Members - Not more than one or 10% (whichever is greater) directly or indirectly compensated person(s) serving as voting member(s) of the board. Compensated members shall not serve as the board's chair or treasurer.
    DWB does not meet this Standard because:
    · The chair of the board is directly compensated as a paid staff member.
    Standard 19: Cause Related Marketing - Clearly disclose how the charity benefits from the sale of products or services (i.e., cause-related marketing) that state or imply that a charity will benefit from a consumer sale or transaction. Such promotions should disclose, at the point of solicitation: (a) the actual or anticipated portion of the purchase price that will benefit the charity (e.g., 5 cents will be contributed to abc charity for every xyz company product sold), (b) the duration of the campaign (e.g., the month of October), (c) any maximum or guaranteed minimum contribution amount (e.g., up to a maximum of $200,000).
    DWB does not meet this Standard because, in the past year the organization participated in a promotion for the sale of consumer goods (music album) that indicates that the organization will benefit from these purchases. The promotion, however, did not specify:
    The actual or anticipated amount of the purchase price that will benefit the organization.

Feel free to do your own research before donating:

http://www.bbb.org/us/Charity-Reviews/

1 person likes this.
  15. octavia

octavia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've always been a fan of Medical teams northwest ( admittedly I have not done my research.. no clue what their grade is) but just yesterday heard mention of a different kind of long term medical group. One that works to train and educate LOCAL residents of developing countries to perform these roles. I'm sure they aren't a disaster specific charity but would love to learn more about supporting their efforts.

HealthRight International

Not sure if this is the group mentioned to me but they look interesting.

Back to the specific topic:

You can actually use your texting service to "zap" money directly to the cause.

Mobile texting donations to Red Cross for Haiti now tops $8 million -

They have made giving money as easy as sending a text.

16. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    looking at post 14
    its clear only the red cross ( if these figures are correct ) uses the most money and less for personal.
    with the others you can clearly see its only to fill there own pockets

paypal : [email protected]

17. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    There are several groups that rate charities in the US. (Due to wildly differing tax laws, it is hard to compare charities accoss tax borders)

Charity Navigator - America's Largest Charity Evaluator | Home
    http://www.charitywatch.org/
    Check Out a Business or Charity - U.S. BBB

Using the BBB info:
    UMCOR: Use of funds on programs= 95%
    Administrative expense 4% of funds CEO Salary = $161,548 (he is deceased in Haiti)

(I am not a Methodist, I was looking for a group that stresses recovery, not relief)

18. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    maybe its better to present some info about international charities?
    is the ceo killed in haiti??

19. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm skeptical of the numbers in that post.

20. Fstr911

Fstr911 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III

My intent for posting (post #14) the numbers was not to slam the other organizations that were listed.

Frankly I don't believe any of them (listed) are really just filling thier pockets. I just felt that it was unfair that a previous post made remarks that were not true.

And by the way the numbers I quoted were obtained from the BBB link shown.