1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Half Price XM Radio !!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by efusco, Aug 27, 2004.

1. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Hey, does this work for new XM radios as well? Or do you have to be a subscriber already?

On another note, I'm thinking about buying the 5 year package because it seems the cheapest option; unless these $60 offers keep coming. Anybody know if they do this often?

Nate

2. chris_b_01

chris_b_01 New Member

3. petteri

petteri New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
  4. chris_b_01

chris_b_01 New Member

So I could just buy the install DVD from the expensive supplier, and get the better value kit?

Can anyone comment on the provided instructions in the better value kit?

Chris

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Those who have used the DVD say that it is very good, very reassuring and were glad to have it. The installation proceedures on the DVD and on Coastal Dave's instructions are a little bit different from each other.

The DVD instructs you to take apart your entire dash including pulling the MFD and Radio stack. This facilitates easier access to the back to plug in the XM plug, but really isn't necessary.

Coastal Dave included written instructions plus a CD with photos and further tips/hints and requires removal of 2 dash panels that just snap out, the glove box, which snaps out, and removal of 1 bolt holding in one ECU so that you can worm your hand behind the radio to plug in the XM radio. It requires some patients to get the plug to plug in with the 'blind' technique Dave uses, but it's not an impossible task and if you or your spouse or friend has decent dexterity it is very simple.

Still, the instructional DVD might be a bit more confidence instilling since each step is demonstrated. There's no reason you couldn't use the DVD for help with the necessary disassembly then trying Dave's technique for plugging in without pulling the dash apart. If that doesn't work then you can always fall back on the DVD technique.

Read My Thread detailing my XM install and decide for yourself.

6. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    To answer my own question, yes, you can get $60 for a year on a new subscription. Here's my conversation:

-I called 1-800-892-5400.
    -I told whoever answered that "I received notification of a special offer of $60 for a year for XM service."
    -I was transferred to a special dept, they guy who answered was way too cheerful.
    -I repeated my statement. He asked for my radio ID. I gave it to him, he said he couldn't find me, then asked for it again. I gave it to him again.
    -He then asked, kind of confused, "Have you activated this radio yet?"
    -My answer, (in a kind of condescending tone), "No, it's a brand new car." (I figured this would let him know it was an OEM radio, while distracting him from the fact that I didn't have an account to "renew").
    -He then said, "Okay, we'll get that set up for you."
    -I then gave name, address, phone, and credit card number, he gave me instructions to place radio on channel 1 and check back in two hours.

So far, so good. I'll update when I get home tonight.

Nate

7. rwithop

rwithop New Member

Having trouble with this so far.

They keep telling me this is for GM and Honda factory installed cars only.

Incidentally, Danny is offering a receiver plus home/car kit and activation for only $49, posted on this site. That's a huge savings, about $200. Also Sirius radio is offering a receiver with home kit and a full year's service for only $170. It's the "Howard Stern deal". About the same savings.

8. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Strange, try the process again. Mine was not a problem.

Nate