1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Halogen to HID Headlights

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Daniel Weiss, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Daniel Weiss

Daniel Weiss Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I see a lot of threads about swapping to halogens from HID, but has anyone gone the other way? The wiring is different right? I'm wondering if it's possible to pull the HID assembly from one Prius to put in a Halogen headlight equipped Prius.

I'm reading about self-leveling sensors and such, so it sounds like it's complex if it's possible at all. I don't see anyone definitively saying whether or not it can be done though...

2. caravan2429

caravan2429 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would rather use LED bulbs than HIDs. Directly fit into your factory halogen setting.

3. Daniel Weiss

Daniel Weiss Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    From what I read, some modifications need to be made to the reflector housings too don't they? I was asking about the HIDs anyway because I have the assemblies from another car already, as well as spare bulbs.

4. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I retrofitted HID projectors into my halogen housings. This is all aftermarket, not native Prius HID, which are a reflector based system. I went with projectors, which is how stock HID lights are set up today. LED lights are also set up with projectors, but they are very different from HID projectors. I would emphatically recommend AGAINST installing LED or HID bulbs directly into your existing halogen housings. This will create hazardous glare to the oncoming traffic. It is not a good solution at all regardless of what sellers of such systems say. My HID projectors provide a hard cutoff line which I have adjusted to the level that is below most windshields. With this setup my glare towards oncoming traffic is actually much less than with stock halogens that have no cutoff at all and can be very annoying while providing sub-par lighting for the driver. I realize that my setup lacks leveling, but I have tested it with a full load of 4 adults and one child in the car and the cutoff line is well within reasonable range and no one has flashed me while on dark roads yet with or without load. The light ahead of me is not ridiculously bright, but it s of good quality and the pattern is smooth and wide. I recommend going this way. It cost me $150 and some handy work. I think it is probably cheaper and easier than going the stock Toyota HID route.

Attached Files:

SFO likes this.