1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Halogen to HID or LED

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by ThatOddMan, May 5, 2022.

1. ThatOddMan

ThatOddMan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Mine has halogen headlight bulbs. Can I just swap the halogen bulbs with HID bulbs or perhaps LED? Like simply removing the halogen bulb and insert the HID bulb or LED .

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    HID bulbs also require ballasts. One on each side for each bulb.

LED bubs are often much larger around the base of the bulb due to heat sinks/cooling fins, and sometimes fans. You're going to have to make sure that you have enough room for them.

That said, I have been using 35w AC HID bulbs (4500K color temp) in our 2011 Prius hatchback for many years without problems. Also, same setup in a 2010 Toyota Camry.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

ThatOddMan likes this.
  3. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I'd go with good quality LED lamps.

I've had HID's installed in my older cars; nothing but issues.- but it was mainly the ballast resistors blowing out. If you install HIDs; you'll need to double check your OEM wiring; it needs to be able to handle the additional current draw. The safest route would be to install a HID lamp harness w/60Amp relay tapped directly to your battery; of course it also needs to be fused properly. You can also avoid the ballast resistors blowing out by sourcing OEM resistors from a newer car, that came stock with HIDs. The OEM ballast resistors, hardly ever blows out. Usually about $100 each; when I looked into them several years ago. That's when I switched to LEDs; the quality and light output was almost equivalent to HIDs - and a cheaper alternative with less hassles.
    I installed LEDs in my old 2012 PriusC. It was plug-n-play. You'll need to watch the polarity when hooking them up. Standard incandescent lamps don't care which side the positive or negative comes in on; but the LEDs does.

Hope this helps.

PS: HID's can melt your plastic headlamp housing. It puts out a lot of heat and a 2014 does have a plastic housing.

ThatOddMan likes this.
  4. PaulDM

PaulDM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    H7 standard bulbs in “bright white” frequency every time. Tried halogen - overheated and lasted 6 months before blowing.

ThatOddMan likes this.
  5. ThatOddMan

ThatOddMan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks everyone.

6. bagwell

bagwell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in