1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hamas vs. Fatah

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by dbermanmd, Jun 13, 2007.

1. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SomervillePrius @ Jun 14 2007, 11:59 AM) [snapback]461608[/snapback]</div>
    I usually do, and have to to survive here, except for the recent addition of a number of individuals who tend to be more pro America pro Democratic pro Human liberties. He put several post on the BB under different posts that all had a similar theme --- which actually SURPISED me - i really thought we got along - honestly - it was like getting bit*h slapped by someone you did not expect it from.

and you are right - EFUSCOMD - I apologize for my recent comments - it was not like me, nor is it like me to say things like that - i am sorry. i honestly feel bad and i did let myself down. honestly - sorry. perhaps we can talk about things we mutually like and agree on - like red wine. I wish you well, be safe my friend.

David

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dr. B, you have a hard-on for Iran, you've made it clear many many times over. I'm only pointing out that your comments have to be discounted because of your clear prejudice on the subject and your complete inability to have a rational discussion of the issue because of that prejudice.

Let us recall it's YOU, good sir, who has made the ridiculous generalizations and accusations of all of us liberals who want Iran to have nukes. You make all sorts of idiotic claims based on no facts but only your single minded perspective that anyone who thinks or believes anything different from you and your ilk are clearly inferior deplorable and not worthy of listening to. Reminds me of how the Jews were treated back in the '30s and '40s a bit.

3. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jun 14 2007, 12:08 PM) [snapback]461618[/snapback]</div>
    i am truly sorry for your inability to reason. perhaps you should substitute passion for prejudice? Does my single mindedness preclude me from being correct? Or is it best for you that i retain some ambivilence towards this position to increase my credibility in this matter? Churchill was "prejudiced" against the Nazi's - in fact his passion towards that postion of his predated those of his fellow citizens and politicians by years - and i could go on and on...

So i am assuming you would support the US president if he were to prevent iran from going nuclear?

Please explain your comments in your second paragraph - i am at a loss in understanding your point(s). You have peaked my interest now....

4. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jun 14 2007, 11:45 AM) [snapback]461648[/snapback]</div>
    While your prejudice doesn't preclude you from being right, it does preclude you from finding the right solution by impassionate rational consideration of all the facts.
    I've not lost the ability to reason...you have by your tunnel vision on this issue. I have no close ties to the subject...it's more of an abstraction in many ways. I like to listen to all sides. I can see the evil that Israel does for what it is and how that is viewed by Islam. I can see how Islam wants Israel eliminated and how that would destabilize the entire world and probable trigger another world war if those countries determined to do so tried to attack Israel. I can also see that war would be a terrible outcome in any case. Despite the short term satisfaction it would give you, the long term consequences would be even more anger toward Israel and even more risk to that country and more distrust and hatred toward them.

It is not an easy issue...and and "easy" answer like war is not a solution that would ultimately succeed.

Not if it meant war without using other reasonable means at our disposal first. When all other options have been exhausted and it's clear Iran is an imminent nuclear risk then of course I'd support the decision of CONGRESS to go to war.

I think the point is clear. You're setting yourself and your beliefs above those of the Islamic faith and feel justified in doing anything necessary to stop any percieved threat.

5. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jun 14 2007, 01:11 PM) [snapback]461681[/snapback]</div>
    What evil does israel do? How does israels removal or eliminaiton destabilize the region? What are the long term consequences of a nuclear armed iran vs removing their ability to produce nuclear weapons? Why is war a terrible outcome?

War is not an easy answer - it is usually the last option and the most difficult.

Define imminent nuclear risk? Is it when they are one year away or two years away and by whose judgement are you willing to rest that determination upon? Is there not already enough evidence to allow us to act - given all the new evidence the UN has, irans total disregard for UN oversight, and irans public desire to wipe israel off the map? How do you reconcile a member of the UN threatening the existance of another member of the UN with extermination? Does that allow for measures of self-defense - especially given irans nuclear arms program? do you think iran is using its nuclear program to produce electricity or nuclear weapons?

And as a defender of islamic based conflict, please name for me one current world conflict out of the several dozen ongoing ones that does NOT involve Islam or Muslims?

6. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jun 14 2007, 12:38 PM) [snapback]461707[/snapback]</div>
    And again, your blind rage prevents you from reasoning. I'm not, never have been, never will be a ''defender of islamic based conflict". You made it up...trying to make me look bad only to try to elevate your own status...brilliant. Had you bothered to pay attention my whole point is that I look at all sides and try to understand both sides and imagine solutions that would lead to the least bad outcome.

It is you who've repeatedly suggested and even today have been literally giddy about the possibility of 'bombing Iran back to the 8th century'....your Iran's hatred of Israel may be surpassed only by your fear and hatred of Iran.

You demand precise answers that you know I'm not capable of giving. But the fact that I don't personally have access to all the intelligence that ours and Israel's and the IAEA have about Iran's nuclear status does not mean that we should just start bombing. And yea, I'd say 1 year from ability to construct the nuke is adequate...I think it would depend greatly upon the country's response to all the diplomatic and economic efforts put in place prior to that and the date for attack could be pushed back to around 2 years if it's clear that they're forging ahead and closing on the weapon and further pushing back from talks and reason. Less if it seems that a diplomatic solution is immenent.

Imminent threat....when they show they can successfully launch a missle both capable of carrying the nuke and reaching Israel with it and are closing in on completion. That definition is loose, but they are NOT an immenent threat to anyone but their own people at this point.

7. mparrish

mparrish New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jun 13 2007, 08:29 AM) [snapback]460789[/snapback]</div>
    Obviously given Fatah's more moderate stance towards Israel, it's preferable for Fatah's democratic electoral success.

But that ain't gonna happen. Fatah is corrupt & unpopular (deservedly so). Hamas is much more respected among Palestinians because while Arafat & Co were siphoning off millions & millions, Hamas was focused on health/nutrition/education & other social services within the community. As a result, they have had dramatic electoral victories with more likely to come.

It's unfortunate, because many Palestinians are likely to say "while Hamas is too hard line vs. Israel for me, they have my support for domestic reasons." It's a bit unfair to claim that a vote for Hamas is a vote for war; people vote for many reasons.

It's also important to point out that Hamas has moderated its position vs. Israel from "all of Palestine for the Palestinians" to "all of Palestine for the Palestinians one of these days of course, for now we'll talk with the Israelis about steps along the way." While not nearly enough, it indicates a possible beginning of moderation that comes when a faction takes power. It's easy to be hardcore in the minority, but harder to continue that hardcore without inviting a threat to your continued rule.

Israeli supporters (of which I am one) like to paint a portrait of a tiny nation surrounded by powerful enemies. While Israel is indeed geographically smaller than it's neighbors, this obscures the honest truth.......that Israel is a REGIONAL SUPERPOWER. It kicks nice person & takes names time & time & time again. Those who should feel the most threatened are not Israelis in Israel proper, but rather those living in Gaza, the West Bank, Golan, South Lebanon, & Beirut. The only thing that changes this equation is, of course, nukes. But the only entity with even a remote chance of developing nukes is Iran, and most analysts agree this is 10 years or so at best before they have a bomb. And even if they acquire one in 2017, it's use means the end of Tehran as we know it when Israel responds with its 100+ bombs. So you have to conclude that Iran is evil AND INSANE. Most believe the former, but not the latter. Men with power are reluctant to give up their gold & women & sports cars & such.

In the end, the U.S. needs to support INSTITUTIONS, not parties. Strengthening the Palestinian democratic process may result in less than ideal outcomes in the short run, but over the long haul strong democratic institutions have a moderating trend. That's difficult to do given that no administrations last longer than 8 years.

One final point. It is in Israel's interest that they intensely focus on a two state solution by offering whatever carrots they have at their disposal to whomever governs the Palestinians. The clock is ticking. Today, only 20-30% of Palestinians support the idea of a one-state democratic Palestine. At some point soon, demographic trends will mean that the Palestinians will become a large majority of the population in Palestine (Israel proper & occupied territories). Also, the continuation of West Bank resettlement by Israelis increasingly makes it harder to agree to a two state solution. You can expect that by 2020-2030 a majority of Palestinians will conclude that a two state solution is no longer feasible, and a one state solution in which they are the democratic majority is their preferred option. At that point, Israel has to choose between becoming a permanent apartheid regime or a permanent minority and the end of Jewish state, neither of which is good for Israel.

A two state solution is not a gift from Tel Aviv, it is an absolute necessity for the survival of a jewish state.

Man, that's a lot of typing :)

8. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, that's was really descriptive, well spoken, informative, without the slightest hint of beliggerence. You could learn something here DrB.

9. micksimon

micksimon New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Jun 13 2007, 10:08 AM) [snapback]460805[/snapback]</div>
    Certainly turned out nicely when we did it with Iran and Iraq!

10. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mick @ Jun 14 2007, 04:32 PM) [snapback]461865[/snapback]</div>
    And Afghanistan. We did give Afghanistan arms at one time did we not?

11. micksimon

micksimon New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Jun 14 2007, 06:12 PM) [snapback]461894[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, to the warlords to fight the Soviets.

12. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Let them eat cake !!! B)

13. Jack Kelly

Jack Kelly New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Israel is catching a huge break with the intra-Palestinian civil war. Israeli internal politics is at its lowest ebb since Golda Meir, and there is an urgent need for new leadership to emerge. For the short term, Israel must recycle Peres, Barak and perhaps Netanyahu and others. Not pretty.

It would not surprise me to see, before long, a U.N. peacekeeping force in Gaza and the West Bank. Will major E.U. countries (and the U.S.) stand by while Hamas annihilates Fatah? I don't see it. Sarkozy, Brown and Merkel may be forced to work with Bush on that one, not having the luxury to wait until Bush's successor is elected.

Does Abbas have the authority to request U.N. intervention?

14. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jack Kelly @ Jun 15 2007, 02:35 AM) [snapback]462149[/snapback]</div>
    Fascinating turn of events.

1. Interesting how the UN did not act here given the slaughter and murder of fatah members at the hands of Hamas - little doubt in my mind that if it were IDF pulling the trigger on Fatah members while they were prostrate on the ground and pumped 40 bullets into their head the UN would be all over that - a dozen resolutions - public outcries - etc - etc -- such a double standard.

2. It turns out the Jews living in the Gaza Strip were not the problem. It was after all the Palestinians themselves that ARE the problem. The Jews were removed and the Gaza was "Jew-Free" and yet the violence continued -- escalated in fact.

3. Sharon was brilliant - The Palestinians lost BIG TIME - by allowing the Palestinians a chance at self-government and a trial run towards a Two State solution - the Palestinians fell on their own sword or AK-47. There is absolutely NO chance for a two state solution now, or for the near future. The "Road Map" is officially burned and destroyed. Sharon knew this was going to happen and put the pieces into play. It is too bad he is not around to engineer the next phase.

4. The West Bank - i believe we will see significant internecine fighting here now too. Iran and Syria need Hamas to control this terrortory too - this would lead to a significant tactical advantage for them in their next move against Israel. This move will HAVE TO HAPPEN within the next year for several reasons:

a. Israel remains weak in terms of reserve forces training and equipment as demonstrated last summer in Lebanon. It will take another two to three years to correct these deficiencies.
    b. Iran has to divert attention away from its nuclear program - what better than a two or three month semi-hot to hot war with israel?
    c. Syria has to divert attention away from it role playing in Lebanon - its backing of politcal assasinations there, its resupply of Hezbollah.
    d. Olmert is still in office - he is by nature a weak and indecisive leader. Odds are the next PM will be tougher and enjoy public support above the 3% olmert currently has. Olmert has no experience in war and his military advisors remain less than stellar.
    e. the shift geopolitcally in europe is towards Israel - it is still early and waiting for French and German leadership to cement their influence in those countries would be a tactical error for Islamoterrorists.

5. There will be little or no outside interference in this true civil war - The Gaza Strip is now under Islamic Rule via Hamas. The West Bank has significant Hamas and anti-Fatah forces there - I do not see how the UN or any other peace keeping force can move in there without getting fired upon - Hamas and their allies will not allow that to happen. How many forces will you need, where will they be from, how will they be supplied, where will they live and operate - all of these issues are in play here. My guess is that even if the "world" can decide upon sending a peace keeping force there - they might as well as sew a bulleye target on either their helmet or the back of their shirts - they are going to take casualties - and we know the West's dislike of taking any casualties at all.

6. The next conflict with Israel will begin with the same tactical bend as the last one last summer. Hezbollah has amassed 20,000+ rockets and there are thousands more in Gaza and the West Bank. Picture metal rain - hundreds of rockets raining down on israel each day. Add to that the newer longer range missiles they have from Iran - directed at chemical factories, refineries, etc, etc. Israel will lose on several fronts here:

a. tourism will die - a huge hit to their economy
    b. they will have to mobilize significant forces - another huge hit on their economy
    c. military spending will have to skyrocket
    d. their politcal process will be strained - if olmert is still in office

7. This will provide Israel with a most difficult decision... and this depends upon from how many directions the rockets and missiles are coming from. What will they do and how far will they go?

here its gets a little murky....

8. I believe the same countries that supported Israel during the war last summer will in fact remain behind Israel - egypt, jordan, and saudia arabia - if this is so, Israel has more carte blanche to roll if their govt wants to - i expect that Islamoterrorists will underestimate Israel's response, which will be....

9. Massive. Depending on the situation...

a. in Lebanon - I see an all out effort to crush Hezbollah and shore up the Lebanese govt - with Israeli forces remaining there until either the lebanese govt can take care of itself or a "friendly" neutral party[not UN] takes their place
    b. in Gaza - a total destruction of the terror infrastructure, and establishment of a new Palestinian govt body.
    c. in the West Bank - depending on the state of the Hamas v non-hamas conflict -- something similar to Gaza.
    d. destruction or prevention of any attempt at resurrecting these forces if possible.

10. I would not be surprised to see...

a. an attempt during this time to neutralize Iranian nuclear facilities or a push for change in irans ruling party
    b. a destabalization of the syrian government
    c. a spread to syria of this conflict - especially if significant terror assets move there including Hezbollah leadership.

15. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nicely written predictions. No beliggerence or anger at all.
    We all appreciate it.

Do you think Hammas will want to shoot at the "targets on the backs" of a UN force, thereby solidifying worlwide opinion against them, or will they seek legitamacy? That's a key question. (yes, I know you would never view them as anything other than terrorists, but it's not your view that counts, it's all of Europe's view that counts.) Seems to me, that everyone else is pretty indifferent to fighting between palestinians, and feel better about them fighting each other, than fighting Isrealies.

16. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darwood @ Jun 15 2007, 09:43 AM) [snapback]462228[/snapback]</div>
    I am glad you approve.

Yes, Hamas will attack the UN troops. The same way they build their fortifications and positions near them in Lebanon and they use civilians and hospitals too.

They have NO legitimacy to seek. They have never renounced their desire to destroy Israel. They recieve $400 Million from Iran /year. They are a well known and self described terror organization. Legitimacy is impossible. They are viewed this way by the EU which stopped funding them along with the rest of the civilized world. I doubt the UN will recognize them either.

This civil war will lead to huge problems for all involved:

1. The Palestinians in Gaza - are now under strict Islamic rule/law. What was a very bad existance is now if possible worse for them.
    2. Israel is now surrounded on two fronts by the same enemy - Hezbollah and Hamas are Iranian backed terror groups.
    3. Without the buffer of Fatah (a terror organization with a little more common sense) Hamas will feel unimpeded to act against Israel and use civilians as shields. The Israelis will have little choice but to retaliate even with Hamas fighting like a girl.
    4. It ends ALL pretexts of a peaceful two state solution with Israel and is a MAJOR defeat for Bush and America who spent big time and money and political capital on Fatah and Abbas. This cannot be downplayed.
    5. Iran has huge influence now - and growing.

Look at the play Iran is also making in Lebanon - taking out the anti-Syrian politician and his son the other day. They are looking to increase their influence around Israel for the reasons I mentioned before.

17. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That could not have been your post Dr. B....well written, logical, rational.
    Any predictions of the US response? Off shore support only? Small specialty units? Air only? Or full fledged support with full battalion to support Israel?

18. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well if Fatah is destroyed by Hamas, and NO ONE views them with legitamacy, doesn't this open the door for Isreal to take Hammas out with extreme prejudice with NO backlash from the international community (except of course Iran)?

If they do so and Iran gets involved, does this not lead to your goal of war with Iran, albeit through proxies of Isreal and Hammas? And without the ugly anti American backlash we got/get from the Iraq invasion? Or is invading Iran directly the only satisfactory war with Iran?

BTW, I withdraw my compliment above, due to the insane post you made calling Jimmy Carter an anti-semite. Totally ridiculous, unfounded, and out of line. Not saying you gotta like him or even that I do, but get real man. Totally out of line, trollish BS.

19. mparrish

mparrish New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darwood @ Jun 15 2007, 12:06 PM) [snapback]462382[/snapback]</div>
    Darwood - Let me help you out.

Fact: Nixon/Kissinger delay weapon shipments to the Israelis during the 1973 Yom Kippur in order to avoid an Israeli rout, force a stalemate, and pave the way for Sinai negotiations.

Conclusion: Nixon/Kissinger are elder statesmen with vision that results in a 1979 peace treaty

Fact: Carter supports Palestinian aspirations publicly and within the text of his soon-to-be-signed 1979 Egypt-Israel peace treaty.

Conclusion: Carter is an anti-semite

Fact: Reagan picks up the phone in 1982, and tells Begin to get the hell out of Beirut right now and pull back or there will be hell to pay. Begin complies.

Conclusion: Reagan is an elder statesman throwing his weight around to partially end an Israeli folly into Central Lebanon.

Fact: Bush tells Shamir that the U.S. will no longer provide loan guarantees for West Bank settlement, in the face of howls of protest. Shamir's government loses an election to Rabin & his freeze of settlements platform, and the Oslo process begins.

Conclusion: Bush is an elder statesman throwing his weight around to bring the possibility of peace & stability a little bit closer to the region.

Fact: Bill Clinton keeps the pressure up on Netanyahu & Barack to implement Wye River & a potential 2000 permanent deal, which includes returning nearly all of the occupied territories.

Conclusion: Clinton is an anti-semite

Thank you for playing ;)

20. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not capitualating to a political party demands/wishes does not = racism.
    To say that Carter and Clinton are anti-semites is COMPLETELY different than saying they did not support them or make correct decisions, or decisions you determine to be correct.
    Keep in mind I'm not saying there decision were good or bad, as I really don't have the background. I appreciate the history lesson outlined above though, it's good info.

But it does not make them anti-semites any more than lefty posters are anti-american for not supporting Bush in Iraq.