1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hand me Down Prius with Red warning light

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Kimist, Mar 27, 2023.

1. Kimist

Kimist Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I glanced through a few posts and saw some similar problems, but my main concern is: Is it safe to drive?
    So I got a 2007 Prius from my father in law with the deal it's mine if I fix it. The red triangle light is on as well as a bunch of other warning lights (regular check engine light, tire light, and I believe the brake warning light). He took it to a local Toyota dealer and they told him it's the cell batteries (which he has a guy that can work on those) and a problem in the dash computer system. Now, my father in law is almost 80, I was not with him so I am getting this information 2nd hand. He did not get a copy of the diagnostics, and can't remember what codes they told him only the price tag they said.
    It cranks, it brakes, the screens are working. I've drove it around the neighborhood a few times to see what's happening, and it did just fine until I got to the driveway, where it lost it's "oomph" to get over the lip of the drive. Once it did make it into the drive, the fan kicked on (according to my father in law it was overheating).

For reference, they were living in Florida weather for the last few years and he got a uhaul trailer to bring it up to our location in N. Georgia. Last year it made the florida-georgia trip just fine, but has since had those lights.

What I want to do is just take it to the dealer myself and get the codes, and basically start from scratch with the repair process, but I need to know if it's safe to drive the 15 minutes to the dealer then the 30 minutes to my own home. It's sitting at his Georgia house right now, so there isn't much I can do myself until I get it home.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Anybody with a cheap Innova brand scanner from advance Auto like a 3150 will be able to read the important codes out of this car pretty quickly You can see your HV battery on the display of your car in the energy mode not the consumption screen the energy You see the magenta colored bars that's the battery almost dead If you drive the car will that magenta reasonably quickly turn to blue lines then the blue lines fill up the battery shape and then it turns to green stays green 4 to 6 minutes maybe and then falters all the way back to magenta again and the blue starts to come up again and back to green and very quickly back to magenta If you're doing something like this that is your HV battery not happy in life at the moment You can either play the games with changing individual cells. Or you can just buy a battery drive the car and not worry about it for probably 10 years. The fan you heard running was behind you correct that is the battery fan when it runs continuously generally the computer is trying to tell you that the battery is failing badly it thinks it's over or under charging or overheated or whatever and puts the fan on permanently that's a good clue the HV battery is bad your display doing what we just talked about above will be the big thing to watch.

Kimist likes this.
  3. Kimist

Kimist Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Okay, thanks for the info! I drove this car one time for a trip back in 2014 so I roughly know what to expect when it works, but read somewhere about the cell batteries melting in other cars. Yes the fan was in the back, next to the back seat. At first it sounded like an AC cut on. I didn't hear it at all until parking, after I had to give it a bit more push to get in the drive. The battery on the display definitely did the up and down, but it was a hilly neighborhood I did 2 laps around so I know that's not a great gage.

Edit: Now that I think about it I'm not sure which screen I had on. It was the one with the tires, motor, and battery and showing the flow of the gas/hybrid boost. That one was doing the up and down, but I don't know if that's the correct screen. I'm gonna double check next time I take a look at it.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if he paid for the diagnostic, you should be able to get a copy. why spend more money and time?

5. Kimist

Kimist Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    They gave him some run around about the guy who did it not being there to give him the copy, and it's been about 2 months. Again, second hand information. Our dealer does free diagnostics on all Toyotas, whether you bought them from the dealer or not. I used to take my Corolla there, so I assumed it would just be easier to get a new diagnostic.

bisco likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's great. first time i've ever read of a dealer doing that.

you'll probably be fine driving to the dealer. might be helpful to have someone follow you. batteries bursting into flames is extremely unusual.

Kimist likes this.
  7. Kimist

Kimist Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Yeah, they're great.
    That was my plan, my husband was gonna drive his truck down there in case we need to get a dolly to haul it home. Thanks for the response! We might try to pick it up this weekend.

bisco likes this.
  8. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The energy screen I believe is the one you want to be on It shows a picture of what looks like to be a d cell battery in the middle of the screen It changes from the common blue which is what you mostly see to green which is what you don't see a lot of and then to magenta which is getting in the dead zone when you see rapid changes from these three colors bouncing around You can pretty much guarantee you have a problem under the ATV battery cover whether it's dead cells bus bars and nuts that are corroded whatever realizing that a generation 2 your battery can be anywhere from I don't know what 13 to 17 years old you are right in the market for a new battery whether you play around with a whole lot of used batteries and services where you're paying people by the hour or whether you just break down and get a $1,700 battery The smartest choice to be honest is the new 1700 plus dollar battery that puts you back on the road for another 10 years probably battery wise or you can play the games and spend almost that amount with used batteries sales being replaced new nuts and bus bars remember all that takes time and labor to install and replace a new battery comes with all that to begin with It might be your smartest option for your longest driving use Good luck I hope it works out The generation 2 is a great car

Kimist likes this.
  9. Kimist

Kimist Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks! I hit a deer with my corolla, so when my FIL gave me the option to just take his prius I jumped at it. I was looking to upgrade my corolla to a cross over type vehicle (maybe the Nissan Rogue) so this is a good thing for me. I think I will definitely be just replacing the battery, he had the batteries worked on a few years ago so I know it's a matter of time before the rest of the cells go bad (if they aren't all bad anyway). I believe the quote the dealer gave him was around 1500-2000, another reason I want to get a new diagnostics.