1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Handbrake / parking brake cables

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Itsmeonprius, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Itsmeonprius

Itsmeonprius Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    It's nearly on the road! So I thought I'd investigate why the handbrake, yeah I know it's worked with your foot, doesn't work.

The two rear cables from the compensator are siezed. Looks like it's the aluminium (ha ha correct spelling!) collet before it goes in through the back plate that's corroded and stuck the cable.

Anyone in the UK sourced these? I'm looking on fleabay and can only see the 2003 onwards and they look very very similar. But the seller's state they are 1715mm long. Measuring the originals they come in at 1650mm.

I've not tried the dealer or the motor factor yet as it's Sunday.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. mroberds

mroberds Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    One dealership local to me (USA) sells the left (46430-47030) and right (46420-47030) cables at $76 each (about £59). The "list" price is $101 (about £78). The front cable sells a bit cheaper at at $67 (£52). IMPORTANT: The cables and part numbers may be different for RHD - please verify! But maybe this gives you an idea on the costs.

Itsmeonprius likes this.
  3. Itsmeonprius

Itsmeonprius Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    Update fix!
    As I suspected, that collet at the end of the cable had corroded to the point where it stuck the cable. So I got the dremel into it and cut a slot enough to release the corrosion. Nice new piece of heatshrink back over the whole cable and collet and it's all working again. Quote from 'dealer only' part was £98 each. Ouch.
    20180911_180213.jpeg 20180911_181905.jpeg 20180911_182719.jpeg

mroberds and Raytheeagle like this.
  4. mroberds

mroberds Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for posting back with what fixed it!

Just out of curiosity, what are those two red/orange wires in the "chocolate block"/nylon terminal strip for?

At least in the US, I have found about three speeds of Toyota dealership parts departments online.

1. The "parts" link on their site gives their parts department hours, phone number, etc. When you hit the "buy parts" link, you get a form for make, model, year, VIN, and a big comment box. You fill that out and the parts guy gets back to you eventually, via phone or email. I usually don't bother with these.

2. When you hit the "buy parts" link, you actually get an online parts catalog, with the fiche(shut up, Grandpa) exploded views of the car, and a list of part numbers and prices underneath or next to the view. You can put things in your cart and check out with a credit card, just like downtown! You have to try a couple of different dealers to see this, but the prices will all be within a few pennies of "list" price (sometimes known as MSRP in the US, and I think RRP in the UK). The best thing you can do with these is get the part number and Google it to see if anybody makes a knockoff of the part, or find a forum thread about that part.

3. Same as 2, but the prices are discounted about 20-25% from list. These are few and far between; I know of one near me (central US), and I ordered from one in the eastern US several years ago. The one near me used to go to some lengths to hide the fact that it was part of a brick-and-mortar dealership, but since a few years ago, they now state their affiliation clearly on the site. I have found that it works to order and pay for the parts online, putting "don't ship - I will pick up at the dealership" in the shipping instructions. When I get the "stuff is here" email, I go to the parts desk at the dealership, and the person goes in the back and comes out a minute later with my order. Strangely, though, if you just walk up to their parts desk and order there... you pay list price. This dealership is a ~30 minute drive away from my house, but I am still willing to drive past two other dealerships to trade at that one, because of their prices.

If you have some spare time one day, you might play around on various UK dealer parts sites, to see if you can figure out if any of them near you are in class 3.

When I looked up those part numbers the other day, I also spent a minute trying to figure out what would happen if somebody in the US bought them and mailed them to the UK. As far as I could tell, the parts would be liable for the 20% VAT, but no Customs duty if under a certain total amount (£135-ish I think). That £98 quote you got is suspiciously similar to the US list price of £78 plus 20%, which would be £93.7s.4d.

5. Itsmeonprius

Itsmeonprius Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    Nice reply and great info. Yeah your points are worth a shot. I'll let you know.

As the the chocolate block? I was probably wiring something temporary hence it lying on the bench.

6. mroberds

mroberds Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah. I thought that picture was under the car, and you had added some accessory to the car. :)

7. Itsmeonprius

Itsmeonprius Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    No no no. That was on the bench. Using that terminal strip on a car? Oh no no no. Solder solder solder ha ha.