1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Handling differences between 15" and 17" wheels

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by creativeguy, Jul 3, 2009.

1. CAR4TWO

CAR4TWO New Member

Model:
    III
    Right now I'm rolling with my stock wheels with the hubcaps stored in the attic. The center Toyota caps set it off pretty good. I would like a chrome 15-inch wheel if I could find one. If you have any ideas, I would appreciate hearing from you. I came to the conclusion that my Prius is a hybrid and as such is designed around the 15-inch wheel. I have decided to try to live with that if I can. I'd prefer a 16-inch wheel but 15-ings are fine too. Personally, the best thing we can do to dress up our Prius is to change the wheels but to what? I prefer chrome.

2. wave_slider

wave_slider New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    After reading all these threads on handling/steering differences, I almost changed my order to the V. I would end up waiting at least 2 more months and the 3 weeks has been painful enough. Should be driving within the next 7-10 days.

3. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    and a link to that please?:)
    brand/type/model?

4. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Get a used set of stock 15 inch Gen II Prius wheels and chrome wheel skins. Looks great!
    http://www.hubcapnation.com/toyota_wheel_skins.htm

1 person likes this.
  5. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I started at 42/41, went to 45/44 and then 48/47. There is a thread on the tire pressure question (I warn you, though: It has many of the same characters in it that you've read in this thread!). See [​IMG] Tire Pressure for the 215/45 17s -- Here We Go Again!

6. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I've now had the chance to drive both a Prius III and Prius V side by side (My dad has a III and I have a V) and the difference is very noticeable. This is to me at least. I do not think a car enthusiast will tell a whole lot of difference but to me the responsiveness of the V even at low speeds is different. Also, the ride is different; it's almost a bit more bouncy with the 15's. My dad prefers it that way whereas I like the harder ride with the 17's. Also, the 15's at low speed have more play in the wheel, where with my 17's if you jerk the wheel a bit from side to side you feel the car really 'pivoting' each direction you jerk the wheel.

I guess it's all a matter of taste but definitely IMO the 17's make for a more sporty and precise ride.

7. CAR4TWO

CAR4TWO New Member

Model:
    III
    One of the things I like most about the Prius is the ride quality. I would call it exceptional. I have a Corvette with Magnetic Select Ride Control, for a smooth ride. That is another reason, I would like to stay with the 15-inch wheels. Eventually, someone will make an alloy wheel for the G-III in chrome hopefully. 1950's Hubcaps just won't do it for me.

8. TheHorsts

TheHorsts Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    After test driving both a IV and a V yesterday, we're switching our order to a IV. We had a V with AT on order.

A lot of the roads we drive on in California are pretty rough these days. (Sadly to say, much of California leads the nation in poorly maintained roads.) The higher profile tires provided a nicer ride on rough surfaces. And we just don't need that much "sporty handling" going to/from school, the store, and kid's baseball games.

I won't mind having a quieter ride, either. The 2010 Prius is a bit of a disappointment as to how much road noise is present.

And, I'm sure we won't mind getting another 2-3 MPG when gas is up to $5 or more.

9. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I have had 2 people ask me if I have new wheels.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  10. accordingly

accordingly Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The custom wheel market is absolutlety huge. It's one of those things you don't notice until you start looking for yourself. Pick up a tuner magazine and there will be pages and pages of full page ads for wheels.

I'd stick with a dealer/installer that is more reputable and performance orientated than one that is more concerned with being flashy or 'blingy'.

Tirerack.com is one of the best and most reputable online wheel and tire dealers. You can search by vehicle then by wheel diameter and weight. Do note that their selection is just a tiny fraction of what is available. Their tire selection is more comprehensive.

The stock 15" wheels are 16.3 pounds (7.4kg). Tirerack has several at that weight or less around $100 each, which is cheap for custom wheels.

The stock 17" are 24 lbs (11kg), there are tons of them that weight less than that.

And of course you have the option of putting 16" wheels on the car as well.

11. CAR4TWO

CAR4TWO New Member

Model:
    III
    Will wheels that fit the 2009 work on our Gen III's? Websites have not updated their Prius wheels to include the 2010 Prius.

You wonder where they get all that aluminum? From soda pop cans of course. Most of the steel in our frame came from recycled cars. There could be metal from a Chevy or Mercedes in our Prius.

12. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Be sure to let us know how 48/47 psi works out. I had already decided to try 48 when my car arrives.

13. Harry Cotton

Harry Cotton New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    If you change the rims to 17 along with tires, your speedo will be out by approx 10-12 miles per hour at 60mph. And your mpg will read less.
    in ten hours of driving you will have driven 100 miles more than recorded.
    each wheel turn goes further than the 15 inch. It is like having a higher gear. Your ride will be quieter depending upon the tires you choose.
    Sincerely a Harry Cotton

14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The 195/65R15 and 215/45R17 have virtually identical Outside Diameter. The 17's are slightly smaller OD. The latter rim is (obviously) bigger, but the low profile tire balances things out.

We alternate between stock 215/45R17 all-seasons, and 195/65R15 snow tires: no appreciable difference.

15. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I don't know for sure but Toyota probably programmed the ECU to compensate for the speedometer and odometer.

Like Mendel said though because the profile of the tire sidewall is lower making the OD really close to the 15 inch wheel.

It would be an interesting math project just to see how much.

16. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This is just based on theoretical differences, not as tested, but should be close:

upload_2018-1-13_10-26-50.png

Attached Files:

17. tonycd

tonycd Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I see this is a thread resurrection, so I don't know if it even matters anymore. But it should be mentioned that the Prius V differs from the other Prii not only in having 17" wheels and tires, but also a quicker steering ratio. So you can't get the same steering and handling in another Prius only by changing out the wheels and tires.

The only other Gen 3 cars that had the 17" wheels and tires are the 2013-15 Prius Persona dress-up edition. I do NOT know whether those cars also have the Five's quickened steering.