1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

[Hands-On] Prius+ (Plus) or Prius V, Toyota’s first Hybrid MPV and CNBC video.

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by cwerdna, Mar 9, 2011.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think it might a combination of tight space in the 3rd row, even slower acceleration, and HV battery warranty. If it gets AT-PZEV certified, then they'll have to warrant that li-ion battery for 10 years/150K miles. There could be side impact crash test implications. Yeah, it's in the middle, but a person/dummy will surely hit it in a side crash.

I know the subject of HV battery warranties outside the US has come up before but I don't have numbers off the top of my head. I just recall that CARB states have the longest HV battery warranty and IIRC, nowhere (?) outside the US does Toyota offer HV batteries w/such a generous warranty length. Perhaps there should be a thread for that...

1 person likes this.
  2. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

i dont get it, nothing happens to the centre console in side crash, it is perfectly safe... if Anything, location in the back is less safe.

i like how small the thing is... soon enough, there will be no packaging penalty at all.

3. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Wonder how the HV battery in the center console area will be cooled. Hopefully there won't be a noisy fan that starts up every now and then when you least expect it.

4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It is closer to the AC. A short duct will get to the pack.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep. The "standard" is 8yrs/160,000kms with the CARB states being the exception and definitely the longest in the world. I've seen hybrid component warranties as low as the basic 3/60,000km

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    1 person likes this.
  7. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would have thought the no 7 seats in america is down to crash testing. don't you do a 40mph rear collision check?

8. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    looking at this picture tells us that radar cruise control is an option. Also there's a blank spot for LKA for the US market. There's a button for power folding mirror. I also see a button for IPA and finally full auto headlight.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

not with passengers in all 7 seats.

10. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

11. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh really? how about the other crash tests?

12. luckyboy

luckyboy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Just saw the Prius V today at a Toyota event. One thing to note is the Prius + does not seem to have a spare tire, similar to the Prius plug-in. No run flats either so you are stuck with goo-in-a-can fix. Also I was told teh Prius V is only ULEV rated, not SULEV or AT-PZEV. Interesting since it has the same drivetrain as the standard prius, perhaps Toyota not wanting to give a 10yr/150K warranty in California?

13. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Prius+ has a temporary spare tyre under the floor.
    I personally think the 8k price difference allows for the possibility of some replacement HV batteries under warranty, the Li-Ion battery is said to have a shorter lifespan in terms of age, compared to Ni-mH and I can't see them all lasting 8 years (UK warranty).
    Battery cooling seems to be self contained, drawing air from the cabin under the front seats, I haven't heard any fan noise above the normal ambient noise in the cabin.

14. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    The Prius V doesn't have to carry the 10/150K warranty. Toyota could choose to certify it as SULEV and just give it a standard warranty (as exists in non-Calfornia states).

To me the 7 seat would sell better in the U.S. than anywhere else, because Americans love cars with 3 rows (SUVs, minivans) and therefore Toyota would make more money.