1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Handsfree Bluetooth Options

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Daves09prius, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Daves09prius

Daves09prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I bought a used dealer loaner base model 2009 Prius, back in October of 2010. It came with only a few options, but no bluetooth hands-free cellphone connection. I didn't think much of it, I had a headset that worked fine. But then a few months later I traded in my wife's car on a new 2010 Toyota Corolla which came with the dealer installed blue-Logic hands free cellphone link. Ever since she got that car, I wanted the Blue-Logic cellphone link too. I looked into getting it installed and the dealership was charging $250 for both the device, and the installation, why I didn't get it I don't know. I just kept putting it off. When I checked back a few months later, they were charging $550.

As a Christmas surprise my wife was going to have it installed on my Prius, but now the dealership wanted $590 and that didn't include installation!

So needless to say that didn't happen.
    Instead she bought me a portable hands free system called BlueAnt S4.

I haven't had the opportunity to use it in the car yet, but it was extremely easy to connect to my iPhone, and it easily clips on to the sun visor; it's really easy to put up and take down. It would also be good for taking with you while traveling, you could easily use it in a rental car.

I played around with it for awhile, and the voice commands, and speech recognition is excellent. I don't know how much it was since it was a gift, but I know it was no where near the $590 that the dealership was asking for the blue-logic system. If anyone is looking into getting a hands free bluetooth system. I would recommend looking into BlueAnt. I did a quick google search and it looks like the device costs less than $70 here is a link to their website:
    S4 True Handsfree Voice Controlled Car Speakerphone - BlueAnt Wireless

2. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Gave one to my son for Christmas...he likes it too. :)

3. LIPriusFreak

LIPriusFreak Can I haz JDM?

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    those are ok....the best bluetooth is obviously factory installed since it utilizes a hidden or unobtrusive mic and the factory speakers. but when that won't work, your next best option is the Parrot bluetooth systems.

the visor clip on bluetooths are OK...with the windows open they are almost useless. The batteries don't last long.

4. Daves09prius

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    This system has an advertised 20 hours talk time and 700 hours standby time.
    I accidentally left my system on all day, today, after being on for 12 hours, I still have full battery left. My bluetooth headset wouldn't even do that.

5. LIPriusFreak

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

recharge it a couple of times and report back....all batteries work the same IMO...they all hold full charge the first couple times...each time after they deplete just a lil more than before

6. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Unfortunately my VW the Son now drives has the Monsoon Stereo System. Upgrading that with integrated Parrot it is cost prohibitive, hence the BueAnt. It works good for hands free call and answer. I went Kenwood with built in Parrot on the Prius.

7. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    BlueAnt S4 has 2 year replacement warranty. Most cell and smartphones don't do that. Also it has the rechargable Lithium Ion battery that does not develop a charge memory like the NiCads.

8. LIPriusFreak

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    wivestale.....all batteries suffer from the same issue...the internal cells deplete over time...Lithium's tend to market themselves as not suffering this issue but they all do....eventually!

9. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You are correct, all batteries deplete and die. My point was Lithium does not require deep cycling to prevent the low charge memory limit that NiCads do. All devices are consumables.

10. Daves09prius

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    In two or three years from now when the blueAnt dies it'll still be cost effective to buy another one of the latest and greatest model, rather than to buy the factory integrated system. Which will probably stop working within the same time frame.

11. LIPriusFreak

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    possible..and in 2 years technology will hopefully evolved some...but with that said, my 2006 package 6 prius that has the JBL with bluetooth works just fine and its almost 6 years old :noidea: