1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hanukkah Fuel Savings Challenge

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by John-W, Nov 3, 2009.

1. John-W

John-W New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Last week on The Daily Show, John Oliver joked that Hanukkah was a holiday that celebrates fuels savings. I hope the Jewish members of this forum do not get offended by my challenge, but here is what I propose;

In honour of Hanukkah this year, I challenge every Prius owner to go the whole 8 days without a fill-up. That means between sundown on December 11th and sundown on December 19th you cannot visit a gas station.

This is meant to be fun and a way to celebrate the miracle of Hanukkah. I hope no one thinks it is in bad taste. I am not Jewish but I get the impression that Hanukkah is one of the more happy and fun holidays as opposed to some of the kind of depressing ones. If I've got that wrong, I apologize.

Understanding other people's beliefs is important to everyone getting along. So please, be lighthearted and play my game. If you have a temple in your community you can watch the Menorah lights being lit while you watch your gas gauge go down. Then you can judge for yourself how miraculous your gas mileage is.

If you don't know the Hanukkah story here is one version;

Hanukkah Story

What do you think? Will you accept my challenge?

1 person likes this.
  2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    lame challenge...dates of previous fillups on 2010 (currently at 2-3 bars i think)
    10/13
    09/15
    08/22
    07/30
    0718 (wow...that tank did not last long!!)

but then again, lets look at the SPM, since it does not get as good a gas mileage and the driver of that one is very unwilling to use even most of the tank capacity

10/15
    09/22
    09/06
    08/13
    07/30...

anyway... i accept the "challenge" ....wish me luck

3. Holbrook22

Holbrook22 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    As one of the "tribe" no offense taken at your suggestion. It is in good, clean (environmentally too) fun.

4. chrisj428

chrisj428 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Sounds like a good deal -- we'll have to get the whole meschpach in on it! :)

I'm in. However, I think we should add one thing to it. You have to have this on the whole time. :clap2:

5. Son of Gloin

Son of Gloin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I realize this is a 2010 Prius thread ... but can earlier model years be included?

If "yes", then count me in ... should be a breeze for Mithril, as he is usually driven under 500 miles per MONTH unless we're making a lengthy trip!

( We've had Mithril 15 months now and - including TWO trips to-and-from upstate New York - he still has under 12,500 total miles! )

With that in mind, might I suggest the following "adaptation":

For those of us who frequently go WAY more than eight days without filling up which makes the OPs challenge a comparative "non-issue" - as DaveinOlyWA pointed out above - we could set our sights on seeing how few miles we drive during that same time frame ....

6. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I love the idea of Hanukkah as the fuel-saving holiday. (Yes, I am Jewish.)
    This challenge was a great idea, but I FAILED!
    Had to buy one tank during the eight days. Could have done it with just commuting, and without that 270 mile trip Conway-Branson and back.
    Ah, well.

7. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Cute idea, I doubt anybody would take offense in the slightest.

-- ethnically jewish, Israeli by nationality, atheist by trade.

8. neilz

neilz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I completed the Hanukkah challenge. Now I am going to fill er up with 5 gallons of gasoline.:p

9. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    just checking in to wish everyone a happy and joyful holiday season. despite a few trips out of town, i am at half a tank (my fillup was Dec 5th) should make it well beyond Xmas. due to our scattered and growing extended family, its nearly impossible to have everyone together, so our celebration is or was held the 12th, 20th, 24th and the 26th. i along with 2 other immediate family members has to work the 25th.