1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Happy 8th birthday Sophie

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by efusco, Oct 20, 2011.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2004 Prius turned 8 years old today :cheer2: :party::popcorn::tea::thumb::)(from day of delivery). My kids named the nav voice "Sophie" (after a pre-school friend) and to this day we still talk about Sophie as the car's name.

I'm right at 115,000 miles. There have been minor troubles here and there, since this was one of the first production Gen II vehicles to roll off the line that wasn't totally unexpected. But all in all she's still spinning like a top.

At 100k miles I stopped tracking tank-to-tank FE numbers, mostly just from loss of interest. But I'm comfident I'm still in the 59-60mpg range for lifetime mpg (lmpg) and it's still the most fun vehicle I've ever own. Certainly the technology and the explosion of hybrids available has helped fuel that continued interest. And my commitment and support from the PC community certainly hasn't hurt.

It's a tad bitter sweet though, as a year from now I may not have the car if my Tesla come in. Haven't decided if I'll keep the Prius for a back-up gasser or just sell it to help pay the high cost of the Model S...just have to see how things play out over the next 12 months or so.

Anyway, hoist a cold one to Sophie tonight!

2 people like this.
  2. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Get her a birthday present, like a modification. Or a hot new boyfriend like the CT200h. Or is 8 years old too young for a boy friend? Oh well.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    :tea:

Congrats Evan! That's fairly low mileage for 8 years! I think ours is a few thousand behind but it's 1 year younger and its birthday is in 4 days!

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Hoisting numerous cold ones as ordered sir. I'll continue hoisting too ... as soon as I get off work.

;)

5. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    She had about 9 months in there where she was barely ever driven while I was away with my family on an international sabbatical. During that time my uncle drove the care just a couple miles every week or two to keep the battery charged up and such. That would have added another 12k to the total had I been home driving it.

That said, it's a daily driver, just not a ton of long distance driving (many reasons for that).

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Forgot about that sabbatical! It was like you never left!

7. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My "back of the envelope" figures based on the few numbers Tesla has thrown out gives me a September delivery date. I figure you should have yours July/August. They'll be here before we know it.

I'll be going to 2 cars because I do too much long range driving.

Congratulations on the anniversary.

1 person likes this.
  8. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    To Sophie! :)

1 person likes this.
  9. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I hope you're right Jim, I'm ready for my EV!

10. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    nonsense! Distance is what the Fisker Karma is for ;)

11. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It's hard to believe 8 years have already past.

Time flies when you're having fun.

Congrats on the milestone.

12. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I hadn't even thought of it, but it is that time! 8 years will be very soon for "Clover", our Tideland Green 2004 Prius that my wife now drives. Ours has about ~124k miles on the clock, manufacture date 9/2003.

My in-laws are borrowing it for a road-trip to CA for the better gas mileage (and their 21-year-old car truly wouldn't make it).

Agreed in that it hasn't been without early-production problems - including melting tail lenses, inverter coolant pumps, ECU reprogramming, warped dash due to failed upper glove-box springs, etc. I had to re-solder a connection in the MFD when it stopped displaying proper information.

The HV Battery is showing signs of age (hesitates in hot weather, SOC drops pretty quick, etc.). I've replaced one, maybe two 12V batteries over the life, 1 set of struts, several sets of tires. I replaced the water pump when it started to leak at the shaft a few months ago, and did spark plugs and PCV valve for good measure at the same time. Did a transaxle fluid exchange at 60k, and probably should do another any time now.

The wheel trim rings cracked and became brittle in the AZ sun ages ago. The clear-coat on the plastic trim on the liftgate is fading (I admit, it doesn't get enough waxing attention).

It's been in 1 accident - rear ended at low speed when someone turned right in front of me during a U-turn. I stopped. The guy behind me did not.

On the plus side, it was one of the first few to get a "factory" EV button. It still works - most of the time, but my wife never uses it.

Compared to other cars at this age and class, it's still been quite reliable, and my wife still enjoys it as a local runner. It'll eventually either get sold/traded for a Prius v, Mini-van (pref hybrid), or my soon-to-be 16-year-old may inherit it if driving is in her future.

Happy Birthday Sophie and Clover!