1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Happy at 61.1 MPG

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by rodcma, Jan 14, 2006.

1. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

I completely understand the need for knowledge on driving for best FE. This response is not aimed at anyone so hear me out.

Maybe it's because my parents were extremely frugal, or I learned to drive immediately following the crisis of the 70's - but I was taught from the beginning on how to drive for maximum FE. I may not have always owned vehicles that proved this, but to me, this driving technique was just common sense and applied to all vehicles (not just hybrids). When we switched to our hybrids, there was little change in our technique. We only refined in just a tad with the ability to see it on the MFD.

Before hybrids, I was completely aware of what "jackrabbiting" did to fuel economy and also that a cold engine was less efficient than a warm one. Stoplights and heavy traffic were my nemesis. When there was no MFD to tell me, sometimes I couldn't care less how my fuel economy was effected by my driving. I only cared when it was time to fill up the beast. :angry:

I'm only surprised to see that people are requesting a manual or classes and that people are disappointed with their FE knowing that their situation is not condusive to maximum FE.

2. bluejay

bluejay New Member

Why would this surprise you? Obviosuly, people do not know how to drive for best fuel economy, me included, but are searching to find the information to do so. No one told me, showed me, I never thought about it--ya get in your car and you drive. As hard as it may be to accept, it's a reality for me and many, many others--I am a fuel pig.

Also, I did minimal research on buying this car--wanted green good fuel economy, knew i would be getting some kind of hybrid. Renting one in la, good experience, bought. Some buyers are more informed than others and have had a better experience, but not all. Should we be more informed when making a purchase like a car, absolutely--but sometimes ya get wrong/bad/misleading or ill-informed info, ie: there are weapons of mass destruction in Iraq.

So, I am of the lesser class of misinformed, a little mislead (EPA MPG) but I'm trying to change my ways. I hear by repent of my old ways and will walk the path of prius enlightment for the rest of my days.

3. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

Would you be questioning things if you did not have a screen telling you what your milage is?

4. bluejay

bluejay New Member

with or without the screen and an EPA of 51/60 and your getting half of that--you'd know something was up. I wasn't really pay attention to the screen when I first bought the car because my MPG was great. After my MPG literally cut in half that's when I started looking, trying to figure out what was going on.

Is it bad to question things?

5. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

no, it's not bad to question things.
    I wonder what you would be getting in a regular car. If you don't pay attention and can't see it on the screen you probably wouldn't know there was something wrong. Besides, now since you purchased the car for FE you are more sensitive to it and notice these things more easily. If your previous car was rated at 23 and now you are getting 12 and the gas is cheap, you don't really care and don't really pay attention.
    On my previous car I wasn't getting the EPA numbers either. I was driving 50 miles one way each day at 80-90 mph. Never cared really that I wasn't getting what I should be getting, after all it was cheap to refill my tank.
    With my Prius I drive the same route at 65-70mph and now since it's winter time I am getting the 48-49mpg. In the summer my average was constantly 58-59mpg. See, there are so many things at play and these things are at play on any car not just this particular one.
    Out of the cars that I've driven (and they were many different brands), none of them had anything about how to drive them for the best fuel economy.

6. bluejay

bluejay New Member

this isn't any other car. It's a new technology. It's like the introduction of the automatic--it's different, we need to make some adjustment. This website (priuschat) by itself is proof of that. New technology with no instructions--a marketing and customer relations nightmare for toyota.

Obviously your expectations were different than mine, and that's ok. I'm trying to explain that I am in the class of people confused and dissapointed. My expectations were met in many areas and in others, especially with FE, they were not--by toyota.

Now, my fuel econmy will get better because of the information I got from this website.

I donot compare this car to any previous because it is unlike any car I bought before. The bad press is "fueled" by poor communication on the part of toyota towards this new technology that has lead to consumers expectations not being met.

If i were toyota and some else also mentioned this--I'd insert a little something in the manual or info packet--"To maximize fuel economy (insert website)" Would this help all of us fuel pigs? No--but the 50 million time i scanned the manual trying to figure out what happened to my MPG's could have been used to solve world hunger or something else more worthy.

7. EricGo

EricGo New Member

You are going to do great, BlueJay !

Just to whet your appetite while awaiting warmer weather: There can be a 100% difference between my wife driving in the winter, and me driving in the fall (mid 30's vs 70's mpg). I remember when my first spring finally arrived. It was great !

8. sseres

sseres New Member

So, settle a marriage dispute for me, if anyone world :unsure:

if I'm going an extra 2-3 miles while driving home once my car's all warmed up in an attempt to improve the overall MPG as shown on the computer, am I using more gas than I would than if I was driving straight home without spending that time in awesome high-MPG mode?

I realize this is like the old "who's buried in Grant's tomb" or "what's heavier, a pound of lead, or a pound of feathers" arguments... but I need expert opinion as my wife thinks I'm way off base.

Hint: I'm not revealing which side of the argument I'm taking, so in case I'm wrong, I don't laughed out of the forum!!! :lol:

9. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Share with us some details:Tire pressures? Load factor?

The Prius does much better in warmer weather. My Seattle mileage drops about 5-7 mpg from winter to summer. Still, I'd like to know some specifics about how you drive.

10. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

Your miles per gallon will be higher. BUT your total fuel consumption will be greater, too. So if you want your mpg display to show high numbers, keep driving around. If you want to save gas, go straight home.

11. EricGo

EricGo New Member

You should never add distance, if that is the only difference. Now, if the longer route is better for fuel economy -- e.g., less signals, off highway etc, then it depends.

Easily solved (although not exact) as a proportion:

x+y/x is your increased distance as a percentage, where x is the regular distance, and y the extra.

g/f is your improved fuel economy as a percentage, whre f is baseline FE for the trip, and g is your improved FE over the longer distance.

If the distance ratio is greater than the FE ratio, you are wasting petrol.

Tell your wife that she is right, but it is a small cost to pay for male pride. And I should know.

12. sseres

sseres New Member

That's an awesome reply! But... how did you know what side i was on? ;)

13. MyPria

MyPria New Member

I just did my first fillup today. Calculated 51.4, MFD 48. The weather has been averaging around 40-50 degrees. I've got snow tires on inflated at 38-36, but have not turned on the A/C. This is my 2nd Prius and I was nervous as a cat that it would not get the excellent mileage Pria got (average 48mpg). Thanks goodness I don't have to worry any more. It has exceeded all my expectations!

PS - Most of my driving is SHORT trips, not a long commute. EPA is not that far off!! I just drive the speed limit.

14. EricGo

EricGo New Member

If your wife had written the post, it would have gone something like this:

"I'm embarrassed to even write this, buy my DUH (dear, unbelievable husband) is driving around town in our new Prius going nowhere, and has the temerity to say that it saves petrol !! He won't listen to me, but instead just points to the mileage display with this oh-so-annoying self-satisfied grin. Should I take away the fob ?"

:) :p

btw, have you seen the Toyota advert "recharge" ? You will LOVE it. I found it on john1701a.com.
    Just empty your bladder before viewing.