1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Happy new Prius c owner :)

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by Pri3C, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Pri3C

Pri3C Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    IMG_3166.jpg

I'm loving my "new" 2014 Prius c two! I've had it for couple weeks and about 800-900 miles now (300 were to the dealership). I got a great deal and it's in great shape with only 45K miles.

I'm so glad I chose this car over the other hybrids I was considering (Volt, C-Max, Fusion-hybrid, standard Prius). I did almost everything online due to the Covid-19 situation and had the deal in place before I drove to the car. Last weekend I took it to a local Toyota service center for an independent multi-point inspection and it passed with flying colors. They told me the check engine light has yet to come on. The Dr. Prius app says battery life expectancy is at 88%.

Based on some of the things I read before buying this model, I was concerned about lack of horsepower, seat comfort, how it handles cold temperatures, wind, rain, etc.. Well, due to the crazy unpredictable weather we often get in the midwest (US) in April, I've been able to drive it in the cold, high winds, rain, a little snow and ice, and I'm happy. I'm 6'2, and while it's not as comfortable as the Camry it's replacing, it feels just as roomy up front (maybe even moreso).. and it really doesn't feel like a smaller car to me when I'm behind the wheel.Visibility is great.

The Camry it's replacing has been a good running car for over 305K miles. Hoping I can get the same kind of reliability from this one!

2. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Congrats!

She is a beauty!
    Take good care of her.

I am on my second "c" a '14 and now been driving a "c" for almost 8 years...since they came out.
    I am not even fully sure why or how, but I absolutely love them.
    Just as much as when I was waiting in line on the edge of my seat in 2012
    They have enough (plenty) of power or hp for me....gets a bit bogged if you have 3 passengers tho!
    Much easier to get higher mpg than a liftback prius (if you live in the burbs, at least my xp)

Check the history of the car on Track Your Service Records with Your Toyota Owners Account
    looks like site is down until tomorrow.

Some things to consider...
    Brake fluid flush (optional for some folks)
    Brake lube and full look over.
    Oil and filter (obvious)
    Hybrid fan filter (on drivers side under rear seat)
    EDIT: transaxle fluid drain and fill (another optional)

That is about it. really.

The "c" is sometimes referred to the most reliable car Toyota built.
    Unfortunately they stopped selling them here in '19 but still a best seller in Japan

I plan to keep mine as long as I can.... (if a Prime doesnt fall into my lap, hehe)

#2 dig4dirt, Apr 19, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
  3. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Congrats! Looks good and sounds like you did well, should be at least 4 years before it needs a new battery pack.

These are wonderful cars.

Pri3C likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome, all the best!(y)

Pri3C likes this.
  5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Glad you're happy.
    The Prius c, is very much like a Honda Fit in layout and size. So I feel confident in adding that you're going to enjoy the ease of parking. Sub-compact size, really allows you a lot of freedom in a tight parking garage.
    I'm personally a fan of small cars. I think they are fun to drive, and I like sitting in them and watching the huge SUV drivers sweating as they try to cram their vehicle into the spot market "compact". ---well, as long as that spot isn't next to me.

Pri3C likes this.
  6. Pri3C

Pri3C Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you for the tips! The car has some light scratches and dings on the body from normal wear and tear, but overall it looks very nice inside and out, and I'll definitely take good care of her going forward. I'm glad this is the car I ended up choosing. Even if I had an unlimited budget right now I wouldn't choose another vehicle :)

I've registered with Toyota and the service history looks the same as it did on the Carfax: 5K service, 10K service, 43K service, and now the inspection I had done last week. Appreciate the link!

This car has plenty of power for me as well. I've been cruising between 60-75 mpg on the highway, merging and passing traffic with no problem, and getting great gas milage.

This will primarily be a 1-2 passenger car. I usually like to take a solo camping road trip somewhere in the mountains every summer.. who knows if that will happen this year with everything going on.. Normally I rent a car and pack it pretty full. Perhaps I would still rent a car, but I think the Prius would be fine up there.

Thanks for the welcome everyone! I'm glad I found this site, it's been very helpful over the past few weeks.

#6 Pri3C, Apr 20, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
    skayaks and dig4dirt like this.
  7. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Happy to have you. I get what you're saying about the roominess of these cars. Personally I'm a big fan of the flat floor/zero center console design, it really opens up a car for us tall guys.

Lukey51, skayaks, Pri3C and 2 others like this.
  8. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Finally!! Someone else understands MY definition of room in a car. Most people always say, "just recline the seat". Well, I don't like laying down while driving! The Gen II had a lower floor and no mid section to squeeze us tall people into a "Friendship7" space compartment, while the Gen III went back to a higher floor and mid section style. If you haven't sat inside the 2004-2006 Scion xb, you wouldn't know how well Toyoto/Scio did with not only flat floor room, but virtually no blind spots. Totally get it Leadfoot!!

Pri3C and dig4dirt like this.
  9. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm going to preemptively apologize for a bit of hijack and some misleading here.
    I'm talking about my Honda Fit not a Prius c. But I think it's fair because despite being two different vehicles from two separate manufacturers, they are uncanny clones of each other from a size, and layout standpoint. But I caveat all my commentary with the before mentioned warning and admission.

I think Honda did a marvelous, nearly magical job of creating the illusion of roominess. I can't find it now, but someone once showed me a picture of how Honda designed the entire layout of the dash and front console to create sight lines that do create a roominess optical illusion.
    I would expect the Prius c has a similar design.
    But basically with my sub-compact Honda Fit, when I sit in the driver seat, I never feel cramped or feel that I'm sitting in a small car. Even though I know I'm sitting in vehicle classified as a sub-compact. Sometimes on the road when I see a Honda Fit in passing, I have a hard time believing I'm riding in a vehicle as small as the one I just saw pass me.
    Small cars are kind of disappearing in the North American landscape. But I hope they rebound.
    With the illusion of size, bigger windshield, and I have a sunroof, the Fit seems amazingly roomy to me.
    Plus with the folding down, configurable seats and storage area (not in the Prius c ) I can if I wish have an amazing amount of hauling space.
    So for me, I really get a lot from my Honda Fit, the benefits of driving a small vehicle, with bigger vehicle storage, and at least the "feeling" that I'm driving a much bigger automobile.

I return you to the regularly scheduled Prius c discussion.

Montgomery and Pri3C like this.
  10. Lukey51

Lukey51 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Congrats on the nice looking Prius C. Nice color.
    I got my very well maintained 2012 C2 on 1/8/2020 with 108k miles. I traded in a 2016 Ford Fiesta that had 59k miles for it. I went back 4 years. ;)
    I love mine. It's really an amazing piece of machinery.

DSC_7166e.jpg

Pri3C and dig4dirt like this.
  11. Lukey51

Lukey51 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    My left tail light still looks like it has a cup or 2 of water at the bottom of it but it doesn't.
    I actually drilled holes in the side of it which let the water out and stopped it from fogging up.

12. Pri3C

Pri3C Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I took the c on an 1100-mile road trip to camp in the Badlands last week. Overall it did great and I was quite comfortable during the long drives. The first 140 miles were in some brutal crosswinds (50-60mph gusts) so the mpg suffered (I was probably getting around 34 mpg). The winds were so bad I almost turned around, but the rest was smooth sailing and I was usually getting 50+ mpg on the highway cruising around 70 most of the way. The car loved the hilly park roads.

A6404296.jpg
    CAN04245.jpg

dig4dirt and Lukey51 like this.