1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Happy to pay $900 Fed tax

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by bwilson4web, May 15, 2017.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Just to clarify, you got:

But I did buy one in December and got [an additional rjw] $4500 of [to rjw] my withholdings back as a refund.

Understand if you did, good on you. My tax man treated it as a non-refundable tax credit. Whether refundable or non-refundable doesn't matter to me because I got the full benefit of the tax credit. This is the kind of 'splitting hairs' only the IRS and tax preparers, not my area of expertise, could love. I'm just happy that is not a tax mine field I'll have to face.

Bob Wilson

2. dalcon95

dalcon95 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yes. Throughout the year, my goal for the year was to break even without having a refund altogether by covering my tax liability with my withholdings out of my check throughout the year because I wasn't anticipating in buying a Prime until December when I actually did. By December, I just concentrated on making sure I had a tax liability of $4500 to get the full tax credit for the car. Which I did and in return got my $4500 back that waa taken out of my check throughout the year because the $4500 tax credit covered $4500 of my tax liability instead. I didn't get the tax credit as a refund par say, put a did get a refund because of the tax credit.

#1 in Easley,SC

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

Perhaps it may help to show which part of the 1040 form:

[​IMG]

A deduction would have happened earlier on the form but the instructions are on line 56, "Subtract line 55 from line 47. If line 55 (the credits rjw) are greater than the taxes owed, enter -0-". So this explains how the non-refundable credits work. Yes, you will get the tax credit dollars back later, line 63, 64, and 78.

The tax reduction, after the credits line 63, is compared to the withholding line 64, and the difference goes on line 78 showing the pay or refund. Note that in my case, the housekeeper taxes, $896, is big part of the $860 I'll have to pay (yes I rounded it up to $900.) FYI, I don't regret the housekeeper taxes as she made it possible for me to work.

Refundable credits are treated as early tax payments. So these go directly into the refund and/or tax reduction. There is no "if greater than, enter -0-".

The only anomaly in my taxes is some part of the 'alternative minimum tax' apparently let ~$70 go to the Feds as additional taxes, I expected $1000 in tax credit for the 'refueling property credit' (form 8911) but only got $970. The other threat to the tax credits are well compensated folks may hit the minimum alternative tax.

Since I'm retiring on Friday, next year we should be in the 15% bracket instead of the 25%. We just missed the 28% bracket thanks to deductions but still high enough that alternative minimum tax had a small effect in one obscure area.

Bob Wilson

#23 bwilson4web, May 16, 2017
    Last edited: May 16, 2017
    Prius from Dad and dalcon95 like this.
  4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    In the simple terms: If you paid in more than you owe (the EV credit is deducted from what you owe), then you will get a refund check. BTDT (twice)

Prius from Dad and dalcon95 like this.
  5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Now I see my misreading. I shouldn't be trying to respond during an interrupt.