1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

hard braking, front 12V outlet fuse blows

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by theclarinetguy32, Aug 15, 2015.

1. theclarinetguy32

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello folks,
    Hope someone can shed some light on this.
    I've had it happen a few times over the past few years (07 Pri) that when I have to brake really hard, the front lower dash 12V lighter outlet fuse blows. Seemed odd at the time but when I replaced the fuse and everything came back to life I kind of forgot about it.
    Today we had a crazy idiot try the mad dash across 4 lanes of traffic and that of course made all cars slam on their brakes. Wouldn't say it was a ABS type slam but certainly hard braking.
    Anyway, I heard the chime of a 12V device powering off and a bit later we noticed the MFD, radio, and clock were all off. Probably everything cut out at the same time but obviously attention was on the traffic not the electronics.
    I saw some people mention that is the ACC fuse which I'm about to go and check on, but I wanted to ask here and see what anybody could comment on for what is causing this. Just seems odd that hard braking causes such electrical issues. Wouldn't think there would be an overlap in systems but maybe?

Any help would be great,
    Thanks!

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My first guess would be at some time in the car's history there was some bush-league aftermarket electrical mod added with cheesy electrical tape and baling twine, and the tape has fallen off and the wires swing and short on something under hard deceleration. Or something like that.

-Chap

3. theclarinetguy32

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    lol, Chap you had me laughing pretty good on that one, but I've owned the car since it rolled off the new car floor. Haven't had anything installed in it that would affect that area. But now that you mention the wiring aspect, since the ACC wiring would run through that area to get to the fuse box, I'm wondering if there is some possibility of the brake pedal pressing on something that is rare enough it's not noticed in everyday driving. I'll have to get a flashlight out and take a good look.