1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hard ride on V?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by bob brown, Jan 29, 2010.

1. bob brown

bob brown Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have been driving my 2010 Package V for two months now, and have some mixed feelings about it compared to my old 2004 Package 9.

While I love the new advanced technology and some other facets of the new car, I am a bit disappointed over the hard ride on the 17" wheels. I do notice the improved handling, but the way I drive, that is not that important. On sections of interstate that have jointed concrete slabs, I find the ride on those low profile tires to be a bit on the harsh side. After several hours, it becomes a fatigue issue.
    I wish I could have ordered the V with the standard wheel/tire package.

2. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Many members here would be more than happy to do a swap with you.

3. Joe166

Joe166 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    V
    How do you know that the standard wheel/tire package would be any less harsh to your sensibilities?

I keep hearing about the difference between the two, but I wonder how many people have actually driven both models in the same situation for any length of time.

I have a V and I am totally satisfied with the ride, but I admit that I can only compare it to my other cars, not to other models of the Prius, none of which I have driven.

4. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2010, 5, the ride is a little stiffer than a "standard Prius" (i have had the 2001 Gen 1, and just traded in a 2004 Gen 2, so I am speaking from experience), however, the "handling" is so much better, and the car does not get blown around on the highway, the way my 2004 Prius used to, in high wind... I think the handling and improved highway performance far outweighs any "road stiffness" issues. I think if you drove a Gen2 or a Gen3 non 5 model, you would immediatley appreciate the improved handling with the 17" wheels and wider tires.

Mitch

P.S. You could always lower the tire pressure a little, that will soften the ride, but also decrease your MPG, and tire life, and possibly the wheel life, if you hit a pothole/bump.

5. Blind Guy

Blind Guy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Bob;

You have received some good advice here. If you are unnhappy with your 17" wheels, they can be traded for 15" IMMEDIATELY, you'll probably have people standing in line for them.

And, YES, low profile tires do not offer the ride comfort that higher profile tires give you. The lower profile does not give the air cushin afforded by higher sidewalls, BUT, the higher profiles don't give the stability and handling of the 17"s.

As was mentioned, check your tire pressures, the 17"s are EXTREMELY sensitive to tire pressures. Only a few pounds over the recommended pressures can make a dramatic effect. Try 33lbs. front and 32 lbs. rear, and see if that's not more comfortable.

`David (aka Blind Guy)

6. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    As a former New Yorker, I can attest that the roads in the NYC metro area can be brutal and that was before the current financial difficulties have impacted maintanance budgets. I wouldn't want low profile tires if I lived ther either!

7. bob brown

bob brown Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I kept my 2004 tires at 39 front/37 rear......four pounds over the recommended pressure. On my 2010, I keep them right at the recommended pressure, and yes, the 2004 absorbs expansion joints and sharp bumps better, despite this.

While I appreciate the fact that the bigger wheels are coveted by many, I'm not sure I could just swap without some detrimental effects on the car. Why didn't Toyota make them optional on all models? Is the car suspension calibrated especially for the differences?

8. Jim Clark

Jim Clark Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I believe the steering is calibrated differently for the 17's. The 17's will ride firmer with their lower profile tires. But they look a lot better.

9. reddavid

reddavid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Not compared to a Rav 4...

10. mainlin

mainlin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have a V, and my son has a II. The II floats like a Camery, while the V rides more like a Bronco, but the V goes where you point it. Its more than the tires, the suspension must be different as is the sterring gear.

11. p626808

p626808 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have noticed it is a little harsher.
    I had my pressures at 37f 35r for a while and it was not that bad.
    Moved it to 44 42. and it is noticably harsher.

But I love the handling.. would not trade it for nothing else..

Scott

12. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My understanding is that the V is 2010's Touring version. Different tires, different wheels, different suspension. I'm not sure putting 15's on the car is the answer.

13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    yes, yes, and no. The suspension is all the same. At the Prius Connection events, the test drive models had different suspensions but TMS decided to put the stiffer suspension across the board for the production models.

14. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    What tideland said, except that the V also has the better electronic steering unit. 15" tires will definitely give a more cushioned ride, at the expense of more rollover effect going through curves, and possibly being a tad less stable in cross winds.

15. Blind Guy

Blind Guy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Don't forget, the V also uses the Brushless Steering Motor, which contributes to its excellent handling.

David (aka Blind guy)

16. Econ

Econ Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    What is the max tire pressure on the sidewall of your tires? Who is the manufacture and line?