1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hard Ride, Suspension?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mark1154, Aug 17, 2008.

1. mark1154

mark1154 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    We love our new Prius. There is very little to complain about. The 1st full tank of gas gave us almost 500 miles at an average of about 46 mpg. We did remark that we could feel every bump in the road so I guess the suspension is the only drawback.

2. eurosteve

eurosteve Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The next logical question is - what is your tire pressure set at?

3. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually, for a compact car, I think the Prius suspension is among the softest. Some people, like me, think it's too soft.

4. WWJD08

WWJD08 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    :confused: our prius rides pretty nice at 40/38. 42/40 was noticeable rougher.:juggle:try juggling your tire pressure. If you set it to whats on the door sticker the tire will wear on the out sides to correct this from happening try the 40/38. also if there is a discount tire or goodyear tire go down and purchase the road hazard warranty before you get a flat it was 15.00 dollars a tire but is well worth it!

5. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Like others have said, check the tire pressure. The stock tires are lousy too, replacement tires will help.

It doesn't ride great though so dont get your hopes too high...

6. Qlara

Qlara New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    How bad are those bumps on the road?

Prius (or most Toyota's family car) is usually on the 'floaty' side due to its soft-nature of suspension tuning. It's still not a Hovercraft, which can completely shield all the road imperfections though.

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    +1 on that. We have the standard suspension, and it's very soft. I can hear every bump in the road, but I don't feel them.

The OEM tires were bad for road noise. The Micheline tires that we have now are much better, but you can still hear a lot of noise on a rough road surface. This is because the Prius does not have a lot of noise absorbing material. The Prius is inherently quiet, so you don't hear much on a smooth road, but lacking a bunch of insulation, road noise comes through when its there.

Tom