1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Toyota can't seem to get a break with intake manifolds: lots of reports of third gen manifolds clogging up, likely due to Exhaust Gas Recirculation.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    76k though, makes me wonder if usage has anything to do with it.

3. Dj3Dub

Dj3Dub Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Jury is still out. Ran fine when I picked up. Started noticing a bit more last night and when I went to go run some errands earlier today. Not as severe but I still notice it. How would you go about cleaning it?

I do put it through its paces.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, I suppose I would first try to figure out what needed to be cleaned. If you are just referring to the oily residue visible as you look past the throttle plate into the manifold, I would leave that alone as normal. My 2004 has logged 196K miles, I've cleaned the throttle body interior a couple of times and the MAF sensor once, and that is it.

If the engine runs "fine" from time to time, then I doubt that cleaning is the issue. It could be that a manifold gasket is slightly leaking depending upon temperature, and allowing unmetered air into the intake manifold. If so, that would cause a lean air/fuel mixture which would result in the engine running rough.

In general, cleaning would involve removing the aluminum intake manifold, then running a solvent through it - like paint thinner or kerosene. You could use a small paint brush to apply the solvent and scrub off any accumulated dirt. If there is a small area to be cleaned, brake parts cleaner spray would be highly effective. You do not want to use any of those solvents while the manifold is mounted to the engine intake.

If this were my car, I would remove the manifold and replace the two gaskets: the one between the throttle body and the manifold, and the other between the manifold and the engine head. I would also clean the manifold but that cleaning would be motivated more by cosmetic reasons and less because cleaning would actually help the engine performance.

#24 Patrick Wong, Jun 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2015