1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hard wiring an additionl power outlet / USB charger

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by blackmasked, Jun 22, 2016.

1. blackmasked

blackmasked Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dear all

I'd like to hardwire a satnav and a dash cam without blowing myself up in the process and I was hoping for some suggestions.

I own a UK version of Gen2 Prius which unfortunately only comes with a single 12V power outlet in the centre console, unlike models available in continental Europe, and pretty much everywhere else in the world, but running satnav and dash cam cabling from there would be rather messy.

The curious thing is that there are two 15A fuses (see pictures) in the instrument fuse box that are labelled as power outlet.

I'd like to hardwire either an additional powered outlet or a dual port USB charger to the fuse box, instead of hardwiring the satnav and the cam separately, and I'd prefer to use a piggy back fuse holder instead splicing anything. Has any of you done something similar and lived to tell the tale?

I guess the easiest thing to do would be to get a hard wire kit similar to Nextbase dash cam hardwire kit, but one that would have a dual port usb charger on the other end instead of a single mini/micro usb connector.
    I have spend a fair amount of time browsing the web, the closes thing to what I have in mind is on photo no. 3.

All comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. ssroberts

ssroberts New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    And you're sure there isn't a second outlet somewhere in the car? Hmm. That might be ideal, if there's a second circuit already there, with a dedicated fuse position for it. You would only need to know what wiring is present and where ... if it just comes out to an unused terminal on the I/P junction box, if so which one, or if there is already some harness wiring from it, and where that goes. The wiring diagram on toyota-tech.eu would tell you.

-Chap

4. Don Shouse

Don Shouse Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    what about an aftermarket usb port for the dash blanks? Would something like that work?