1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hard Wiring DashCam

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by darkgiant, Oct 10, 2016.

1. darkgiant

darkgiant Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am trying to hardware three dashcams all on Prius's.

As of right now, I am leaning towards this guide:

From the guide above, the person only the following parts:
    Is this really it? I ask because I want to be cautious and not have to deal with damaging, or potentially causing fire hazors and what not.

I also know their are kits (Power Magic Pro) that do this job just fine and cleanly, but unfortunately, it costs north of $35 for kit, and with the intention of doing this on three Prius's, I'd really prefer to keep my cost low.

Can anyone confirm if this type of "hardwire" method would work, and is safe for the Prius? Or am I missing something here? I am also open to other cheap alternative ways to wire my dash cam, as both cig. socket ports are often used in both cars.

2. FinToy

FinToy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Didn't check the vid but it's a very easy way to do it like you described. Just take care you use proper fuse and that the cig lighter socket is isolated. I haven't done this for Prius yet (I just purchaset dash cam a week ago) but I did it years ago for my daily drive. No problems yet.