1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

hardly any assist from elec. motor

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by theclarinetguy32, Nov 28, 2010.

1. theclarinetguy32

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    After changing the 12V battery, I'm seeing hardly any assist from the electric motor.

A bit of history:

Last week I finally had to give in for a new 12V. I won't go into the details but all the signs and symptoms indicated it was nearly dead.

I replaced it with the D51 Optima battery. The next day I took off for turkey day about 3 hours north. The entire trip I noticed the car was relying on the gas engine 90% of the time with only a bit of assistance from the electric side.
    I just got back from that same 3 hour drive and there has been no diffference.
    I had glanced at the display as often as safety allows and nearly the whole time the gas portion was always charging, and hardly any activity from the electric side. I say hardly because when I was lightly letting up on the gas, the electric side would kick in.
    The gas milage from a full tank before leaving would confirm there is definitely something going on. I haven't done the exact calcs but a rough estimate would be 7-10 mpg lower.
    I never did a full charting of how often the electric side usually kicks in, but I recall seeing it almost always helping out whether it be from a stop sign/light to trying to make it up a decent hill. After stop light it was full gas almost all the way to 50-60mph.

As I was pulling onto my residential street I cut all non-essentials off such as A/C and I was able to do the EV type mode until I pulled into the driveway (a bit under 1 mile).

I am now out of my general warranty period so if anyone has hints on this which can be worked with without the shop... Otherwise if I can narrow down to a decent point what might need to be serviced maybe I can cut down on hourly costs.

Thanks!

2. GigaTigga

GigaTigga New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought i noticed this on mine as well lately, but today i was driving around in electric-only mode without issues, and auto shut downs were happening fine as well, so i assume it was just me being over worried about things. just my 2 cents. I would assume (as i have read) if something was wrong you'd be getting lights on the dash indicating an issue...maybe someone more knowledgeable than me can chime in.

3. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It is not clear that there is anything wrong right now.

In fact, things sound just peachy:
    * With the new 12V battery, the engine, ICE, should run much less to
    turn Motor/Generator1 as a generator to keep the HV battery topped
    off it is not being drained through the DC-to-DC inverter to charge the
    12V bus and battery.
    * Your avatar doesn't say where you are,, but if it's cooler there now
    than just a little while ago, the ICE may be running a little more than
    you're used to to keep itself and you warm. The "you warm" is
    significant. If you run the heater or defrost, no matter how little, the
    ICE will run extra, may not shut down at all at stops.
    * Running ever so carefully on the ICE alone, taking every advantage of
    "no arrow" glides etc, is the most efficient way to go.
    * It is far too early to know what effect the new 12V battery is having.
    It will take a full tank or more.

As to possible HV battery issues, unless you are getting some warning
    lights, or the bars on the Energy Monitor are swinging wildly from
    green to red/magenta when you drive or when it sits overnight, nothing
    you've said clearly indicates a problem at this time.

Now, let's see what others may think. :)

4. theclarinetguy32

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the replies.
    I am in the North Chicago area and as anybody in this region knows we got a pretty good cold snap in the past few days.
    I am used to the car taking a bit more usage from the gas side in the winter but unless my memory is that foggy, I recall seeing both motors aid in driving regardless of temp. This time (visually) it seemed the electric motor was 'on break' from the display activity and I could feel a difference when driving.
    With normal highway speeds of 65-75 I was not able to glide/coast as much as I used to in the past few days. When my speed did drop a bit too low from the nearby cars I would have to really punch on the accel. to get back up.
    As for the full tank, I used up 3/4 of tank on the 170 mile trek going up. Refilled before heading down but still used a bit over half. Again, just my observation but the milage I getting now is what I normally see in -20 type of weather.

Maybe I'm off my rocker on this but as everybody has a good 'feel' for how their car operates, for the past few days it just hasn't 'felt' right. Don't have a clue what could possibly be tested in the car, but considering the service center hourly rate isn't the cheapest, I would prefer even the most remote options before taking it in!

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I can almost garantee you there's nothing wrong as you are not throwing check engine lights. Here's what I would check:

Tire pressure you will probably find they are very under inflated.
    A quick cold snap can cause your tires to lose 10 lbs overnight. Or maybe your way behind on maintenance. Oil for motor and cvt fluid.

Or you have lost or begun to lose your inverter coolant pump. See brand new recall notice in "Gen II Main Forum" jdenenburg was nice enough to post. Easy to check your vin on the Toy site. Do you have good coolant flow in the Inverter coolant tank when in "Ready"?

Or its just wicked cold and your car is running to keep its Cats warm.

6. Ryanpl

Ryanpl Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I recently changed my 12 v and experienced a similar issue with the elec motors. I brought car into dealer and was told the 12v connections were not tight enough and something was installed upside down when putting the 12v back together. My advice is to check your 12v. connection.

7. theclarinetguy32

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Good point on the 12V connections. I helped installed the unit and remember all the connections being pretty dang tight, but will recheck along with checking the tire pressure :)
    I am coming up for an oil change, a couple hundred more miles though...
    I did check on the recall and my car is included. Haven't had any dummy lights on but since I'm on the subject of the water pump here is a question:
    Back in 2008 and I had taken the car into Toyota of San Deigo for a wierd 2 tone/fluctuating sound coming from the drivers side wheel well. I had posted sound clips here and no one (here or the dealer) was able to exactly pinpoint the exact item generating the sound or the reason. The best bet based on location was the water pump.
    I could probably dig up the sound files, but otherwise does a high alternating with low sound coming from the water pump sound familiar to anyone?

8. okiebutnotfrommuskogee

okiebutnotfrommuskogee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The noise from the wheel well is the pump that transfers the engine coolant in out of the thermos that is located ahead of the left front wheel. The inverter coolant pump is a different item and is located under the inverter. My car is also on the list to need an inverter pump replacement.

9. theclarinetguy32

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    oh, not that familiar with the different components yet. There is still quite a bit of time for the recall so I'll try and narrow down the other items to check before I look into this.

10. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    theclarinetguy32,

+1 on checking tire pressure (every 10 degF drop in air temp =
    ~1 psi drop in tire pressure) and 12V battery connections, corrosion
    where the ground wire connects to the chassis is the usual suspect.

Another probable cause for the lowered MPGs read-outs that you are
    seeing is related to replacing your 12V battery.

Unless you attached a separate independent 12V power supply, when
    you removed the old 12V battery all your previous mileage and gas use
    was erased from whichever CPU keeps it "on file." That means that all
    your high warm weather data is lost and your current MPG is being
    calculated solely on your recent cold weather data. As a result, you are
    seeing much lower readings.

All this to add to the idea that so far at least, from what you've said
    there doesn't appear to be a major problem.

11. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Just to clarify are you saying that you were 90% of the time seeing the energy monitor similar to that shown in my first attached image and only rarely seeing the energy monitor as per my second attached image?

If I recall correctly I think I most often see the first of these when cruising at highway speeds. Perhaps your Prius just has to re-lean you driving habits a bit before it makes optimum choices of what energy mode to use.

Based on this alone I really doubt that there is anything wrong with your traction battery or electric drive.

Attached Files:

12. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This sounds like completely normal Prius operation coupled with completely normal human perception. People often "notice" things after a significant event. For example, my cars often drive better after an oil change. From an intellectual standpoint I know that an oil change has no immediate effect on a car's behavior, but my freshly focused attention perceives an apparent improvement, even when there is none. I suspect the OP is experiencing something of this nature.

Tom

13. okiebutnotfrommuskogee

okiebutnotfrommuskogee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    "A clean car always drives better than a dirty one"

14. theclarinetguy32

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the info on this. guess I should dig out that bottle of Xanax for any upcoming trips :D
    When I replaced the 12V I was actually relieved that I wouldn't have to keep jump starting the car, but never really thought of anything actually 'wrong' until I noticed my wacky descriptions noted above! I've been through a few winters with the car so I am used to performance going a bit down, but this just 'seemed' a bit too much too fast. Guess my imagination was going wild...
    I suppose with a fairly cold snap, winds and possible low tire pressure could have been the factor.

Thanks again for all the input!

15. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Like I said I still don't think there's anything wrong with your car, but that doesn't mean I think it's all in your head. :)

When you lose your 12V some systems lose their stored data and it takes a while for the systems to re-learn their optimum settings. This can have quite an impact on how the MPG (as displayed on the MFD) is calculated.

Also if you didn't pre-charge the optimo before installing you never know it might have been a bit low (yes even from new there is no guarantee that a battery will arrive fully charged) and that would have made it run in the charging mode more often (as per first attachment in previous post).

BTW. I'm not in North America but I have noticed here and in a few other forums that many there are just starting to feel the impact of colder temperatures and "winter gas" blend on their MPG's right about now.

16. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    A few clarifications.

There are -four- "coolant pumps". One is belt driven for engine coolant. One is electrical for interior heating from the engine coolant circuit in case the engine shuts down while stopped. One is electrical for pumping engine coolant into and out of the thermos. Finally, there is one in the inverter cooling circuit.

When it's cold out and you have selected "A/C Auto", the system will "demand" heat. If the coolant is below 63C the engine will run. In winter the coolant is below 63C until the engine has been running at least 30 min. ;) So if you are sitting at a light and wondering why the engine doesn't shut down, this may be it! Pearl will shut down the engine at a light, but the heater will be withdrawing heat from it, and after some time (say 10-20 seconds) the engine will start. I haven't seen the effect of the cat cooling off causing this, but I suppose it might be possible.

Just to show how big this effect can be, in the fall, ambient temps around 20C, Pearl was returning fuel economy of 4.4 l/100 km. Today, with ambient temps around -10C the MFD shows 6.3 l/100 km! That's quite a difference. There are other causes in my case, but you get the idea! ;)

I doubt very much there is anything wrong with your car.

17. theclarinetguy32

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I had done trials with the AC on and off and at the time hadn't noticed that much difference, but then again what I thought was abnormal may have been fine with everything else (seaonal changes) taken into account.

I am curious though, what are the general 'rules' for when the electric portion aids ICE when driving? I'm asking because of what I noticed on the highway and having to gun the engine pretty hard to reach the status quo cruising speed of the other cars on the road. (4-5 mph difference) This is assuming all aspects such as tire pressure and so on are fine. I wasn't trying to cruise at 80 but in the 69-70 range. Out of all the roadtrips I have done, I recall being able to somewhat gently increase speed and match whatever number I was trying to get back to. Only when there were strong winds or a really steep hill do I remember having to really gun it to achieve all of 4-5 mph difference.

Not trying to argue more things wrong, just wanting to understand how it's supposed to work...

18. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    The engine supplies most of the power at highway speeds. You should see the motor intermittently being used to maintain speed when on a "level" road (minor hills you don't notice plus wind gusts will trigger it when in cruise). If you use the accelerator to increase speed you should see the motor being used to help on the MFD. Unless the traction battery is too hot. Is the fan still working? Vent plugged? Remember, MG2 is only 40 HP and can deliver much less, as it's limited by battery current (to protect the battery). The engine can put out up to 70 HP peak and it has to rev quite a bit to do so.

19. That_Prius_Car

That_Prius_Car Austin Kinser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is fairly normal I think. Unless you noticed a huge difference in power, because when cruising, the engine will normally power the wheels alone, while also sending energy to the battery to keep it at about 75%-80%. Unless you live in a very cold, windy, or cold & windy place, I can't really put my finger on your MPG loss. It could be for a number of reasons. Only a few times have I seen in really cold weather that it won't use stealth mode because the engine is trying to keep warm, it could be that your battery was too hot, or cold, or it could have been carrying out battery equalization. If there are no warning lights, there's no way to diagnose the problem. ):

20. That_Prius_Car

That_Prius_Car Austin Kinser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's the classic Prius specs.
    The second generation Prius specifications are 76HP and 82FT-LBS of torque. The electric motor has 67HP and 295FT-LBS of torque. The Prius' computer will only allow it to rev to 5,000RPM, no more.