1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

hardly any assist from elec. motor

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by theclarinetguy32, Nov 28, 2010.

1. theclarinetguy32

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not too sure what is involved in the battery equalization you mentioned, but that might account for the display showing the battery in almost a continous charge state on my way back yesterday. As I mentioned before, I don't recall seeing the electric side kick in more than a couple times, even with the best hyper-mile type driving I could do.

2. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    OK, with the "hybrid system coolant pump" replacement campaign going now, I read in the press release that failure of this pump may result in almost no use of the electric motors in normal driving.
    Perhaps your pump has failed (if there really is a problem). I'm told you can see the coolant circulating in the fill chamber. I'd check this out. It may be your problem, and if your car is on the replacement list it's a warranty job. You can check here (there is a topic on it with a VIN list) or you can check at Toyota.com.

3. theclarinetguy32

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That narrows things down a bit. I did check my vin and it is included in the recall. Wouldn't that have thrown a few dummy lights on the dash though?

4. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It depends how badly it (the inverter) is overheating. Before jumping to conclusions you should just check that your inverter coolant pump is running. With the car in ready mode, pop the hood and remove the cap from the inverter coolant reservoir. Looking straight down through the filler hole to the surface of the coolant, if it's running you'll see a little stream of turbulence. It's pretty easy to spot.

5. That_Prius_Car

That_Prius_Car Austin Kinser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The battery equalization is something that the Prius does every few thousand miles or so. It's when it's system charges the battery to full (80%) and then uses EV mode aggressively. This has happened to me once where the electric motor was barley assisting and it kept charging the battery till it was full. It was weird and unexpected.