1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hardwire Dashcam w/ Fuse Tap Troubles

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by isw845, Feb 8, 2021.

1. isw845

isw845 New Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Hi everyone,

Just got a 2021 Prius Prime LE, has anyone had issues w/ hard wiring into the driver side fuse box? I have done this install countless times for other vehicles but I'm having such darn luck with this Prius.

I found the 5A ACC fuse which I wanted to tap into, but it doesn't power the dashcam. Groundwire is grounded to one of the bolts nearby. When I pull the fuse-tap with the 5A fuse out of the location, the radio turns off, so I know it's making contact.

I thought it might have been the hardwire kit's module being defective, so I bought a new one and soldered it to bypass the banana plug. Still - no power, but when I pull the fuse the radio turns off. Is there something I'm missing?

Thank you!

2. citiprius

citiprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Donttjudgemee likes this.
  3. road2cycle

road2cycle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Is the surface that the ground wire is connected to painted? If it is you’re not going to make an electrical connection to chassis (battery negative) for the ground wire.

Have you verified the fuse for the dash cam is good (continuity check; not eyeball check)?

Have you measured voltage between the fuse tap “output” and chassis?

4. tchan2700

tchan2700 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I just did this yesterday. I had the exact same issue you had so I found an unused fuse spot and use that for the ACC+ wire. i used the hazard fuse for the BATT wire.

5. chickenhawk

chickenhawk Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    On my other cars I just tap off the wire going to the dome light as the power is cut off once ignition is off. I will probably do the same on the Prime.

6. chickenhawk

chickenhawk Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Correction on my previous post. I actually had tapped off the power that goes to the homelink mirror as that one is switched power source.

I just recently installed VIOFO A129 Pro Duo, for the switched power I tapped off the Lane Departure Sensor and the constant power I tapped off the dome light. I used 3 wire hardwire parking kit for the camera.

7. Wills Prime

Wills Prime New Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Which one is the dome light fuse?