1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hardwiring power inverter directly to 12-volt battery

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by goshdonit, Sep 19, 2022.

1. goshdonit

goshdonit New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My poor 2010 Prius was sideswiped pretty hard by a drunk driver and is likely totaled. Insurance is dragging its feet, which is unfortunate because I’ve been living in my Prius for a few months, for reasons I’d rather not get into at the moment.

Making matters worse, I lost my sole copy of the car key recently, so I can’t even start the engine or use any accessories (and since it’s likely totaled, I don’t think it makes sense to pay for a new key to be made).

This has made it a lot harder to keep my phone and laptop charged; I no longer can just plug them into my cig lighter power inverter. But since the battery is just sitting there, I’m wondering if it’s at all possible to hardwire a power inverter onto the battery directly? Are there kits for this that anyone can recommend for amateurs like myself? What are the safety concerns, if any?

EDIT: I should add that, to prevent/slow the battery drain that obviously would occur from running the battery with no engine, I am looking at getting a solar-powered battery maintainer (there are no outlets I could use for a traditional maintainer since the car is still in the same street parking space where the accident occurred and will be until insurance can get an adjuster out here… *sigh*)

#1 goshdonit, Sep 19, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2022
  2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's possible, but you'll just run the battery down quickly without a way to start the car and charge it. (I assume if you had a place to plug in a battery charger to keep it charged, you'd just charge the phone and laptop there.)

PriusCamper likes this.
  3. goshdonit

goshdonit New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Oh thanks for pointing this out. I forgot to mention I’m also looking into a solar battery maintainer to help slow/prevent battery drain.

4. ForestBeekeeper

ForestBeekeeper Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    The Prius has an amazing HV drive battery and electrical system. But the 12vdc battery is not much different from any other 1000cc small car. If you run that battery down the car will not start.

It is NOT a high-capacity battery.

Its invertor is NOT a high-capacity invertor.

It was NOT designed to provide high wattage.

Since the OP has lost the key, there is no possibility of the 12vdc battery ever being recharged. Might as well just remove the battery and do with it as you wish, for a day.

Pit a 100-watt solar panel on it and recharge your phone once a week.

5. goshdonit

goshdonit New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The battery can be recharged for free at Autozone….