1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Harm in delaying replacement of 12v battery?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Johnny Sasaki, May 4, 2020.

1. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I apologize if it seems I ...

Sometimes I think I defend my viewpoint like "The Hulk", when perhaps I need a more reticent approach. But hey, I've been self-isolating for 2 months.

But there's nothing for YOU to apologize for, your questions and the thread itself are perfectly valid.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Yes. A smart, automatic battery tender is the preferred way to keep your 12 V battery from being damaged because of a LONG period of non-use.
    How about running an extension cord out to the carport for 12 to 24 hours every couple of weeks ?

AND.....for at least the 3rd time: A 30 minute drive is NOT enough to recharge the battery......unless it's last use was less than a week ago.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Ours pretty much LIVES on a charger. Just got gas today, for the first time in over two months, and that was only 18 liter, and distance travelled of 384 kms (240 miles).

4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If it is a true tender aka a trickle charger, that will only be an option once you have fully charged the battery by some other means. If it is a more modern multi-staged charger that becomes a trickle charger once it has fully charged the battery, it will be fine. But what you say next sounds like it is not a practical option, given you say you can't get the mains power to the car where it is parked up. So maybe a moot point.
    Maybe, but you still need to fully charge the battery before you do this. You need to consider that electronics don't do well sitting for long periods of time powered down. Another thing to consider is if you use the car to charge the battery, you will need to leave it in READY for 16 to 20 hours (you don't need to drive it) just to get a full charge, so make consideration of that in your plans.

5. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Please stop doing that. PLEASE.

A "true tender" and a "trickle charger" are two entirely different things.
    And one should NOT use the terms interchangeably.
    They are not the same thing.

6. Johnny Sasaki

Johnny Sasaki New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thank you. I am no longer concerned about preserving the current 12v battery since I'm pretty sure it's toast.

I am going for a non-OEM replacement (yellowtop) and will be sure to tender the new battery once that is installed.

7. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Buy battery. Charge it to full before installation. Voltage test it to assure that is true. Install. Drive every week and not just around the block. Good for your mental health too.

Batter Maintainer is another term for a tender. I kept my Maintainer connected through the winter hibernation period when my other car was the preferred transport rather than the convertible.