1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Harnesses and Dash Kits for Double DIN Install?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Kate Harvest, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Kate Harvest

Kate Harvest Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been thinking for a while I'd like to install an Android Double-DIN in my Gen2. I've read as many as I could of the different threads on here to try to figure out what harnesses and dash kits I'd need but I'm still unclear on some things:

(1) My car has the 9 speaker JBL. I'm pretty sure that means I need the Metra TYTO-01 interface - Metra Online

(2) I'd like to retain the steering wheel controls. Most threads seem to say I'd need the Metra ASWC-1 (Metra Online) for that, but I couldn't help noticing Metra also has a Toyota specific kit (Metra Online) and I also found this one thread mentioning it can be done without the ASWC-1 (which seems to retail for $50 or so) if you're willing to splice into two of the stock wires - Steering wheel control with Android HU & without Metra ASWC interface | PriusChat

Has anyone reading tried the "no ASWC-1" method? Is it reasonably doable?

(3) At least some posts seem to indicate I'd also need the generic Toyota aftermarket head unit harness, Metra 70-1761 (Metra Part # 70-1761 | Toyota wire harness | Metra Online)... Is this accurate?

(4) There's a great deal of discussion of needing to add a 68k resistor between two specific pins on one of the connectors in order to retain non-stereo related MFD functionality. Some threads mention that this resistor comes as part of a particular Scosche kit, but I haven't been able to discern any specific references for the Scosche part number. Is it essentially the Scosche equivalent to the Metra 70-1761 harness, or is it something else? If the Metra harness is cheaper, can I just use the Metra harness and pick up a resistor at Radio Shack?

(5) Most threads also seem to say that the gap in the Metra's Double-DIN kit for the Prius (Metra Online) doesn't actually provide a gap large enough for Double-DIN units to fit through, and that various solutions involving Dremel tools or spray painted bits of foam have been devised to replace its faceplate... But a few threads also make reference to a Scosche dash kit that supposedly does have the proper size gap? Can anyone link me to the Scosche kit in question? Is it for some reason necessary to buy both the Scosche kit and the Metra kit?

Thank you.

2. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    you definitely need the tyto, unless there is something better out there now. I would contact crutchfield.com. they can absolutely hook you up with everything you need to replace the jbl headunit, and if you buy a head unit from them they will send you the adapter harness, and install instructions free with your purchase. if you run in to any problems doing the install they have good tech support too.

3. Kate Harvest

Kate Harvest Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not very helpful. I was already pretty sure I needed the TYTO, and I'm not likely to buy from Crutchfield. If anyone has any actual information they could share on this, would be most appreciated.

#3 Kate Harvest, Oct 15, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
  4. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    the scosche kit I bought from ebay had an adapter harness with the resistor already installed, and it came with plastic filler pieces for each side of the head unit. but expect whichever kit you buy there will be a bit of trimming and shimming to get it to look right.

crutchfield says you need this: PAC RP4.2-TY11 Wiring Interface, and: Metra 95-8240B Dash Kit. even if you don't want to buy from them they have good tech support

you a big Zappa fan, or just like the quote?

#4 69shovlhed, Oct 15, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2016