1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HARNESSING PRIUS ALTERNATING CURRENTS

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Dxta, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah, have checked em, and I think he's stuff is cool.
    I have being intimated with lots of options, one, that I think would be cool, uys hooking up my inverter to the auxiliary battery, and readying the car.

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Oh I see your modifying the ups to use the g2 battery in place of the ups battery. That would probably work.
    I wonder how much that ups costs. Probably very expensive.

It was the TECHTREK threads back in the day that got me started on this.

MTL_hihy likes this.
  3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The absolute power you can get from our battery pack is 3 amps? Lol......

4. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You know better than that!

3A "....you *might* get two hours of run time"

5. MTL_hihy

MTL_hihy Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes those UPS are expensive now but there's a big market for used ones so usually you can pick one up for just a few hundred bucks but plan on replacing the batteries right away because typically they are toast.

edthefox5 likes this.
  6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Great idea thank you. I looked at them brand new the 2200 va was like $1200.
    As someone who recently spent 6 days on a generator after hurricane Irma I was desperate for an alternative. I was using a gas only generator but after Irma bought a flex fuel. To have a backup using my car would be awesome thanks for the post.

7. MTL_hihy

MTL_hihy Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Key is to stick to 192V (battery) and single phase systems, after that there's typically quite a few options available all the way up to around 6 kva backup systems. Larger than that and they add more battery packs (192V x 2 = 384V) which don't work with the Prius setup (voltage is too high on UPS battery).

Here's an example (obviously needs batteries too):
    Emerson Liebert Upstation S 6 kVA UPS backup, single phase | eBay

There are better deals out there as long as you are patient and know what you're looking for.

Dxta and edthefox5 like this.
  8. Ryambo8713

Ryambo8713 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    do you guys have a list of recommended UPS to use for a Prius plug-in? I’m interested in making my 2014 PIP a backup generator via HV battery.

iPhone ?

9. Ryambo8713

Ryambo8713 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    edthefox5 likes this.
  10. Ryambo8713

Ryambo8713 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    edthefox5 likes this.
  11. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think the Prius inverter is 3phase or so? Can't remember right now. Don't know if that would work though.

12. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think if you're going to use this inverter, it means you've to be careful accessing the HV battery. I won't try using that one the car though, except there are aftermarket harnesses to use with it.

The inverters I know of are connected straight to the auxiliary 12V battery, when the car is readied. That would inverter the DC voltage to either a 110/220V AC voltage supply.

13. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for those keep them coming. The Prius battery maxes at approx 240 volts dc but most likely under high load with an auxiliary Inverter on it would live at around 210 volts dc at high load maybe lower. Thats an odd inverter dc input voltage making it difficult to find the precise Inverter. I personally would not need more than 30amps @117V for a wall shaker ac and the frig and some lights. I would not use 240 as i have no intentions of using any 240 volt device. Just a 117V ac wall shaker and the frig and some lights is what i had for days with my gas gen during Irma but man it ate alot of gas. I bought a flex fuel gen that runs really nice on propane that outputs that and have about 15 20lb tanks so far.
    But one issue is I suspect that our hybrid battery would have to be in really good shape for a long hurricane Inverter session. Mine has been rejuvenated by a Prolong and running very well but I don't think it would be happy with that extra constant 40 amp Inverter load on it. The car/mg's Inverter etc would support it fine I think but my 11 year old battery would probably let me down after a few days. With a new hybrid battery I am convinced it would be the ultimate emergency generator with the proper aux Inverter. It could run forever with enough fuel. Its the toughest little car ever made.

#33 edthefox5, Feb 9, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2018